Monaco-Eze-Nice on your own

sk99

We are arriving in Monte Carlo on the NCL Jade on May 24th and will be in port from 10AM to 7PM. We would like to visit Monaco, Eze and Nice on our own. I wanted to see as much as I can (Chagall museum in Nice if possible), but I do not want to run from place to place, I'd like to have time to see and enjoy it. Is it too much in the time slot provided? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Sofia.

First, is ship docked or are you going to tender. The walk to the train station and buying tickets can take easily 30 minutes.

The train to Nice, including waiting can take up to an hour. We only visited the market, saw the beach and looked at shops. Took the train to Eze and waited for bus. Took the bus up and walked for an hour or so. Waited for the bus back to Monaco. I think the bus was at 4:00 PM. No time for you to see Monaco. If you want to see Monaco I would skip Nice.

We are in Monte Carlo from 11:00AM to 7:00PM. This is one we were going to try on our own but in sounds like a tour would be better. We are tendering at this port. Any suggestions for tours?

Lynn

Well, we would not even recommend using the train from the port to Nice. It makes more sense to simply walk to the bus stop and grab the #100 bus (it runs a lot more often than the trains and only costs 1 Euro) to Nice. We also enjoy the scenery on the bus more than the train and the Nice bus station (Gare Routiere) is very close to the old town part of Nice which is our favorite part of that city. As to Eze, there are many recent posts about getting to Eze and there are a couple of bus options that go directly from the Nice Gare Routiere to Eze village. But, and this is the big BUT, the frequency of the #112 bus that runs from Eze Village (this bus also starts in Nice) to Monte Carlo is a real problem for many cruisers.

Regarding Lynn's post of tendering into Monte Carlo with limited hours in port, this can be a problem since the tendering operation can really delay you getting ashore and the last tender would be a half hour before your departure time. This means you may only have about 6 hours ashore which does put some limiations on plans outside of Monte Carlo. Going to Nice on your own or going to Eze on your own would be fine, but trying to got to both Eze and Nice (plus see some of MC) would be difficult unless you decided to rent a car for the short day.

Hank

Thank you for the replies. I think we are tendering in Monte Carlo. I was counting on getting off the ship and to be on the shore by 11 - 11:30am, last tender is 6:30PM, but I would not risk it, so should be back by 6 pm. From what I see here, 6-7 hours would not be enough, we may need to limit our things-to-do to Monaco and Eze or find a private tour.

• 5 weeks later...

SK99 - we are on NCL Jade but arriving mid July. We are looking at either Eze or Nice, and trying to see a little of Monaco. I was in Monaco years ago and not overly impresses, other than saying I've been there. Looking forward to hearing about your decision and review of visit

We have never been to Monte Carlo. Our decision to book this cruise was partially based on 3 port stops: Barcelona, Monte Carlo and Palma. We traveled Italy for two weeks and we visited Spain before with Globus land tour which did not include Barcelona. As for Monte Carlo visit - we decided to take bus to Eze, walk around, have lunch there and then come back to Monaco and visit main attractions.

Archived