Labadee - Artisan Market - Aggressive!

travellovers2

This is our second time to Labadee and I must say we were very impressed with what RCI has done. Unfortunately we went to the artisan market and had a very bad experience. As we were walking by, two women were standing at the end of the walkway and they kept shoving some bracelets in front of us, almost to the point of not letting us through. I very politely said "no thank you" and walked by. Next think I hear her screaming some word that sounded like s&*t in french, so I turned around and she was looking right at me screaming this and then said something else and "american" right after. I just looked at her and she was laughing and kept shouting something american. She was waving her hands as if rounding up other people. I wanted to ask her if she knew of the $700 million dollars plus that the US had donated to Haiti, plus all the other assistance that has been given. In addition to that, I wanted to tell her that us being there was the reason they had a job, but instead I just looked at her and walked away. I hope RCI chooses the people that are allowed to work there better, because even though I would go back to Labadee time and again, I will never go back to that area again, so the haitians that are there trying to sell their crafts will miss out on making a living if more people are treated the way we were.

We simply don't go to the "market'....not into "souveniers"....so we just don't deal with it!

There is another area that is also the market that is very organized and nobody hassels you. It's inside a flamingo color building. The area to avoid is the one in the back that is open.

Their attitude changed completely once I started speaking to them in French. "The mob" left us alone and only the one who's painting we were interested in continued negotiations. When my wife saw another painting she liked, another vendor walked over to us and the one we were negotiating with before took a few steps back. This went on a few times all in French and then we ended up going back to the first one and buying the original painting we first liked.

I just found it funny how their aggressiveness disappeared as soon as I switched to French. Maybe they realized they wouldn't be able to insult us. ;)

Their attitude changed completely once I started speaking to them in French. "The mob" left us alone and only the one who's painting we were interested in continued negotiations. When my wife saw another painting she liked, another vendor walked over to us and the one we were negotiating with before took a few steps back. This went on a few times all in French and then we ended up going back to the first one and buying the original painting we first liked.

I just found it funny how their aggressiveness disappeared as soon as I switched to French. Maybe they realized they wouldn't be able to insult us. ;)

No, maybe they knew Canada won the gold medal in hockey!! :D:D

This is our second time to Labadee and I must say we were very impressed with what RCI has done. Unfortunately we went to the artisan market and had a very bad experience. As we were walking by, two women were standing at the end of the walkway and they kept shoving some bracelets in front of us, almost to the point of not letting us through. I very politely said "no thank you" and walked by. Next think I hear her screaming some word that sounded like s&*t in french, so I turned around and she was looking right at me screaming this and then said something else and "american" right after. I just looked at her and she was laughing and kept shouting something american. She was waving her hands as if rounding up other people. I wanted to ask her if she knew of the $700 million dollars plus that the US had donated to Haiti, plus all the other assistance that has been given. In addition to that, I wanted to tell her that us being there was the reason they had a job, but instead I just looked at her and walked away. I hope RCI chooses the people that are allowed to work there better, because even though I would go back to Labadee time and again, I will never go back to that area again, so the haitians that are there trying to sell their crafts will miss out on making a living if more people are treated the way we were.

Well, they did just go through an national crisis, and probably suffering personal trauma. Perhaps we could all be more understanding, and less annoyed at their attempts at making a living.

You were so traumatized by a loud voice that you will never go to the craft section again, so you can probably relate.

There is another area that is also the market that is very organized and nobody hassels you. It's inside a flamingo color building. The area to avoid is the one in the back that is open.

Thanks for that info. We haven't been to Labadee in years, but the market was very rowdy then. I probably would have purchased more, but I just wanted to get out of there.

I did want to support the local economy and buy something, but as I said I would have purchased more if it wasn't for the hassasment and, while no one touched me, they came very close.

We went to the market..what a mistake. I read where the people are aggressive and thought I would give it a shot anyway. We went there and they were trying to put stuff in our hands and I kept saying no thanks. (When I shop I like to look around before I buy and there it is not possible, you look at anything they try to push you to buy it) We went to the first one and bought a shell from the lady and got her from $15 to $7. The lady put it in a bag and crumpled up the bag and put it in my hand and as we were walking I noticed these small nails all on the bag probably about 10 of them. I will never go through those shops again if we go back to labadee.

My wife an I really enjoyed Labadee. However, I just do not understand why Royal does not put forth and enforce a Standards of Conduct protocol for the selected vendors in the Artisians market.

The market has become widely known for the aggressivness of the vendors, and thus avoidence by many passengers. It is just a matter of time before the wrong combination of people meet and something goes very bad.

Royal Carib's failure to develop and enforce a conduct protocol would be a major contribution to this bad situation. Really bad corporate PR.

I will continue to avoid the market place until RCCI cleans up the behaviour of their select vendors.

Just my two sense.

I'm glad I found this thread. I will absolutely avoid every market on Labadee when we're there in a few weeks. I may like to buy stuff but the minute someone touches me or my family is the minute I start swinging. Given the numbers, I'd probably lose.

Well, they did just go through an national crisis, and probably suffering personal trauma. Perhaps we could all be more understanding, and less annoyed at their attempts at making a living.

You were so traumatized by a loud voice that you will never go to the craft section again, so you can probably relate.

It's interesting; in message boards where people are asked to give opinions and comments, they are frequently flamed for same. Why do you feel the need to respond so harshly?

Archived