Travel agent would not sell us Azamara

Redtravel

I would bet it is because they give them no discount fares or perks...I want substantiation if they are going to make a claim that a cruise line is now "second class" ...why are they considered that, based on that I would make my decision. However, as soon as hearing that judgemental attitude I would have been turned off...I am sure there would have been a much less offensive way to get their point across.

This was one TA's opinion, doesn't mean all TA's feel this way! A good TA should recommend what is good for the client-not themselves!

Don't know the entire story but the agent may have been doing exactly that -not wanting to sell it to the client because she/he knew it would be totally wrong for them.

I have been on Royal Princess, Oceania Regatta and Oceania Insignia. We enjoyed the Oceania line much better but entertainment was better on Princess. Now we are going on the Azamura Journey in June. We will see what differences there are. So far, Oceania presents the cruise better - with a personalized excursion booklet for each guest.

I have been on Royal Princess, Oceania Regatta and Oceania Insignia. We enjoyed the Oceania line much better but entertainment was better on Princess. Now we are going on the Azamura Journey in June. We will see what differences there are. So far, Oceania presents the cruise better - with a personalized excursion booklet for each guest.

Just fyi that HAL also has a "personalized excursion" booklet you have pull up on-line.

• 2 weeks later...

: Reading through posts tonight, I happened to run across the one from Redtravel. Just wanted to let you know that our cruise on Journey last summer was GREAT! We traveled from Copenhagen to Barcelona on a 12 night cruise. The service could not have been better, food was delicious, and we enjoyed a nice balance of sea days and ports. We've cruised with Oceania and for the difference in pricing much prefer Azamara. We were especially impressed when we were given a full refund for a tour which didn't meet everyone's expectations, feeling that Azamara showed real concern for their passengers. Azamara certainly is not "second class". Be sure to sign up for the Cruise Critic Party offered. It was a very nice cocktails party, where we were able to connect with other CC Members that we had "met" through the Roll Call. Have Fun....know that you will love your Azamara experience!

I have to jump in for the TA in this case bearing in mind Azamara was advertized to be a Oceania copy or competing in the same field. As we all know that wasnt the case and many Oceania cruises bitched and complained all day long... yes had that happen on one of my own cruises. This was better at O and this sucked at A. Never mind the price they were paying was much less than over at O.

Alot of agents caught a lot of flack from their clients during this time and some probably got really burnt by clients who wouldnt book with them again because they felt they were taken for a ride. So this reaction could well be protecting themselves from the fall out of unhappy clients........

I have to jump in for the TA in this case bearing in mind Azamara was advertized to be a Oceania copy or competing in the same field. As we all know that wasnt the case and many Oceania cruises bitched and complained all day long... yes had that happen on one of my own cruises. This was better at O and this sucked at A. Never mind the price they were paying was much less than over at O.

Alot of agents caught a lot of flack from their clients during this time and some probably got really burnt by clients who wouldnt book with them again because they felt they were taken for a ride. So this reaction could well be protecting themselves from the fall out of unhappy clients........

At this point in time...

I would still say completly unprofessional REFUSE to sell a product...

if you qualify your client, if you document the conversations you have with your client and you KNOW the product you are selling there should be no issues...

it's called CYA and if I'm dealing with agent of travel who will not even engage in conversation with selling me a product...I don't ask what is wrong with the product, I ask what is wrong with the agent.

I was just on the Radiance of the Sea for a quick run for the border spa vacation..standing in line waiting for the purser..and you know how people start chatting while they wait...

this person behind me told me out of the blue they were a travel agent..

in conversation they were going on and on about Disney cruise and how the service is so much better than RCCL

and then starts to tell me I should sail on Disney...no qualifying me as a client...we don't have kids, we can't have kids and I dont want to be surrounded on my vacation with kids and parents who only talk about kids...

I said Azamara is more my speed and then he says...

I don't sell Azamara, I said why not have you been on them? He said no but they dont give me as high a commission rate so I won't sell them and Disney is very liberal with their discounts.

He would sell me Disney, a product I know I would be miserable on and not Azamara a product that is perfect for us.

Not because of what is best for me the client, but what is best for him and his wallet.

Just something to keep in mind when a travel agent refuses to sell a product

Hey what is this nonsence it is the agents privilage (if the agency belong to them) to SELL any product he / she wishes the same as it is every clients privilage to buy where and what her /she wants....

If you don't like what the agent has to say and don't think his / her advise is valid go elsewhere

Hey what is this nonsence it is the agents privilage (if the agency belong to them) to SELL any product he / she wishes the same as it is every clients privilage to buy where and what her /she wants....

If you don't like what the agent has to say and don't think his / her advise is valid go elsewhere

NONSENSE???

You are right an agent if they own the agency can do what they want.

I'm just saying if an agent refuses to sell a product,

that as a consumer don't assume that they are NOT selling Azamara or any other cruiseline because it's not a good product...

and to keep in the mind the agent has motives regarding what benefits them them most, not what is best for you the client.

and absolutely...take your business elsewhere because that behavior is not professional!!!!

... it is the agents privilage (if the agency belong to them) to SELL any product he / she wishes the same as it is every clients privilage to buy where and what her /she wants....

True, it is the agent's privilege to sell the product he/she wishes and the client's privilege to purchase what they wish, but when a TA is acting only in their own best interest, and not at all in the client's interest, it is very unprofessional and a disservice to the client. Even worse is to take the opportunity to solicit business while on another cruise line. People should not have to be subjected to unethical TA's while trying to enjoy their vacation.

where2next ... sounds like your conversation may have led him to regret bringing up that recommendation with you.;)

If I was new to cruising how would I know the agent is selling me the wrong product.

I don't have children and my DH has a bunch of older ones and even he wants to go on a cruise without a lot of other peoples children.

The point where2next was making was regarding travel agents that don't bother to find out anything about their client and try to sell them whatever makes them, the agent, the most money.

Redtravel,

Although we had some concern about the changes we have seen in the condition of the ship (none of them dealbreakers), we had a fantastic time on the Journey this winter. The staff was wonderful, the food was just fine and prepared the way we wanted it. Nothing was too salty. If we told a waiter that we wanted to be at a show at a particular time, our service was punctual. When we share a table with another couple, we enjoy spending the evening dining rather than seeing a show. That, to us, is one of the more enjoyable parts of travel. We had no problem getting Prime C and Aqualina reservations.

We were served coffee in the morning at the buffet. Or we grabbed a cup on our way in. And a waiter was always walking around refilling both decaf and regular. Plates were cleared.

Our towels were huge, dense, and perfect. We asked the butler to make the bed up with a blanket rather than the duvet and this was done quickly.

Our fellow passengers were congenial. No loud complainers were heard on our cruise.

There's no reason to believe that you won't have a good time.

And every reason to believe you will.

Smooth sailing...

We sailed on Azamara before talking to this TA...and we sailed on Azamara after talking to that TA. She did not book either trip. And, after our recent exchange of ideas, this TA will NEVER get another booking from me. I booked directly with Azamara. However, booking directly may have been a mistake. On my April 1 cruise, Juliana Meyer told me that I should always book with a TA never Azamara directly. According to her, TAs get clients better perks. This may be true based on my conversations with other guests on board. Of course, since there were tons of TAs on board the April 1 Journey cruise, my information may be slanted. I enjoyed my cruise. I did not enjoy the TAs on board trying to sell themselves....one actually tried to get me to become a TA. If you can't sell travel, sell becoming a host agent....another way for TAs to make commission. Azamara should limit TAs on board. I enjoy meeting people who are enjoying a relaxing vacation not TAs who are trolling for business. I ended up asking for tables for 2 which isn't my usual cruise mode. At least I had that option. If I had been faced with traditional dining and ended up with tables of TAs, I would never cruise again. This group was the most uninteresting group on any cruise.

Redtravel...I do really believe there are good and honest travel agents in the world.

There are still a few career agents out there who have been around for a very long time and really know there stuff..

Sadly, there is way too many of the flash in pan, pay for an iata card types.

The best advice I can give (which you didn't ask for, but that's beside the point) ;) :D

and if someone is a travel agent, please read past #4, before you

start thinking you want me to walk the plank

1. Know you...with that I mean... know what makes you happy..what is no big deal and what is a deal breaker.

2. study the destinations and deck plan...calculate all sorts of what ifs,

what ifs are the rarist of all problems that can and will happen when you assume they won't

3. ask all of us a TON of questions, there is no stupid question.

4. Book Direct, you are in control of your reservation..you can call the cruiseline, airline, etc... as many times as you want.

You will never hear

"oh, you booked through a travel agent I can't talk to you"

5. shop around for agent discounts..be honest with the travel agent and don't abuse their time.

Tell them you booked with cruise line and want to know what they can give you if you release the booking to them

at final payment.

This way you can get the best of both worlds, and to be perfectly honest

Travel Agents LOVE THIS...the work for them is minimal and you get the discounts...its a win-win

6. document everything...whatever you are promised tell the cruiseline or travel agent you want that in writing in a email or a fax.

If you don't have it in writing..you have no rights or claim to anything. Then you print that out and bring it with you in your document case.

Hope this helps calm your concerns on what is the best way to book your next cruise...

Susan M...I was in ZEN mode..I gave him a break ..:)

We were in Asia on the Quest in Feb 2009 and you won't believe the bitching and complaining many passed O passengers were doing. Alot of this bitching and complaining obviously went on after they got home tooo. Even my pointing out that they had paid no where near the price on A that they normally pay on O made any sort of impact. I believe many agents got burned a number of times because they suggested passed O passengers try A and all they got were complaints so I believe some decided to play it safe and not suggest it to passengers who say they have been on O because they then go to sail on A expecting to find an exact copy of O - which it is not!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
A friend in the business gives Azamara high marks and tells me of someone he knows who just returned from an Amazara cruise with praise.

If you haven't already, have a look at the Cruise Critic Review section, which has many very good Member Reviews on Azamara Journey and Quest:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=cl&cl=Azamara%20Club%20Cruises

:)

Hey I was not saying Azamara is a bad product in fact the opposite is true I love this option. I do however believe the catch phrase will have been "We have sailed Oceania before...... and want to try Azamara now" With some of the experiences some agents made the first 2 years probably THAT sentence will send them into ALARM mode.

The cleints have to accept it when one tells them OK fine you like Oceania BUT Azamara is not an exact copy and is different. Many clients liked to over hear that bit and then came back B&C and making the TA responsible for their their expectations not being met.

IMPORTANT:::: AZAMARA IS NOT OCEANIA!!!!! Don't go there expecting the same thing and you will enjoy it.

IMPORTANT:::: AZAMARA IS NOT OCEANIA!!!!! Don't go there expecting the same thing and you will enjoy it.

It is the same ship so the question is exactly what is the difference if the prices will be the same. If it is food including canned fruit, well Azamara can change that. They can get new Chefs onboard.

My understanding is that Oceania does not include pre-paid gratuities or wine with lunch and dinner.

When I called earlier this year I ased the Rep if changes were going to be to match Oceania and I was told "better than" (Oceania). That is the market they are going after but why all of the 7 night cruises?

My understanding is that Oceania does not include pre-paid gratuities or wine with lunch and dinner.

To the best of my knowledge there is no wine included on Oceania, but it would be difficult to find a good TA who does NOT pay gratuities on any of the Oceania cruises that have caught my eye.

It is the same as people who complain that Crystal does not include gratuities, since people get their gratuities paid through the TA. (Crystal probably helps the TA with that, but I don't know for sure. I just know that I don't pay any of the standard gratuities on Crystal, just the extra ones that I choose to give to people for extra service.)

....it would be difficult to find a good TA who does NOT pay gratuities on any of the Oceania cruises that have caught my eye.

Yes...but for those (like me) who don't come across those TA's easily, having the gratuities included is appealing. I know that "there is no free lunch" and whether they are included, as with A, or paid for by the TA, as with O, we are paying for it ourselves 'through the back door.'

• 2 weeks later...

If you read the postings, you'll see that we have sailed several times on Azamara. We sailed in April after the TA told us not to sail on it. That TA is history. We later found out, that the TA was dishonest. She was trying to push us to book a line that would pay her extra commission. Nasty stuff. I am not stupid. Shame on that TA. And, we had given that TA many bookings.

Archived