UK to Copenhagen: ferry?

Tania

It's just a thought. There are so many ferries going across the North Sea, is there one going directly between Dover and Copenhagen? Before or after a cruise, this would provide a marked contrast between the two.

Thanks for your input!

Tania

Tania,

In 1998 we landed in Amsterdam from our flight from Oz and a few days later we took the ferry from the Hook of Holland to Harwich where our ship the Maasdam was leaving.

I have to say that the ferry is nothing like a cruise ship. It is like being locked in a McDonald's restaurant. They are huge and have all the take away outlets you can imagine. There is no deck to go out on and after 4 hours I was so glad the journey was coming to an end. It did save time flying and then going down to Harwich, but I have done it once for experience and will do it again.

Of course the ferry to Copenhagen or vice versa could be completely different but we went on a Seaview and it held thousands.

Jennie

Jennie

No, there are no ferries from Dover to Copenhagen.,

An option might be Dover-Oostend (Belgium) a short passage and then by train and/or car. That is still quite a distance.

Or as mentioned Harwich-Hook of Holland/ Harwich-Esjberg etc.

Thanks for your quick responses!

The airfare to CPH is murderous and I am trying to avoid it! So far my best solution is to take the Air Transat charter from Toronto to Berlin (and stay over, of course!) and find a way to get to Copenhagen.

Tania, my husband and I found airfare from London to Copenhagen for $78 U.S. on http://www.europebyair.com/eba/English_us/Flights/default.jsp while researching one of our itineraries. We've flown dozens of flights inside Europe and have some more web sites that we can send to you, if needed (lots of CHEAP flights).

Ine, I was so glad to see your post because my husband and I are booking a cruise that ends in Dover and would like to go to Brussels & Brugge without having to backtrack into London from Dover. I think when we rode the chunnel train on previous trips, it stopped at a station near Dover, but I can't find any info on that. The ferry you referenced from Dover to Belgium would work well for us. Do you have a link to some information on-line? We were in your lovely country in 2003 and loved Amsterdam. If you would like to e-mail me directly, my address is dahillark@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance for any assistance that you can provide.

Donna

Tania, just P.S.--skyeurope.com also has CHEAP flights into/out of Copenhagen. As previously noted on the Europe boards, you'll need to check into the luggage weight restrictions. We've flown dozens of flights inside Europe and were only charged overage on one flight for $154, so we haven't been discouraged by that, so just FYI.

The discount-airline www.easyjet.com has flights London-Copenhagen. The earlier you book, the cheaper they are. However no refund when cancelling. Also luggage-allowance may be limited.

dbh63ark. Sorry, but my info seems to be out of date. I just found out that feey oostend-dover doesnot run anymore. Probably because of Eurotunnel. There is a ferry Dover-Calais(Fr.) but maybe not convenient if you go to Brussels. This link is for Eurotunnel, that goes from Folkestone.

http://www.eurotunnel.co.uk/ukcmain

Or this link, for trains between Ashford and Brussels: (Eurostar)

http://www.eurostar.com/dynamic/_SvBoExpressBookingTerm;ESession=B2Jb5qpqtvzzfWmxNOBHrRgR1qiQ20gok1Z6iGomf7jvM2I8RajE!215733080!170395434!7351!-1?_TMS=1106676123441&_DLG=SvBoExpressBookingTerm&_LANG=UK&_AGENCY=ESTAR

The discount-airline www.easyjet.com has flights London-Copenhagen.
easyJet also flies Berlin-Copenhagen, which may be of most use to Tania if a charter is really the cheapest way of getting from Toronto to Europe.

However, the choices are more varied and plentiful from London. Also, if flying into one of the main London airports, there may well be the flexibility of choosing between a same-airport connection to Copenhagen (possibly at a higher price), or doing an airport change to get the cheapest possible airfare.

Tania.

I just realise Transat also has charters to Amsterdam.

From Amsterdam you could connect with e.g. SAS and/or KLM.

The earlier you book KLM or SAS ahead, the better their price.

Thanks again to all. This is why these boards are terrific. I did find an SAS return fare of $200 from LHR-CPH. MAybe SAS all the way might be good too. Air Canada is just out in left field with most of its fares.

Archived