Trip Insurance for washington state residents?

I recently booked my cruise and when i inquired about the cruise insurance, was told that wa state had passed a law about trip insurance. When i looked on usaa there was a clause for does not apply for wa residents! Does anyone know what this new law is and how it applies?

I recently booked my cruise and when i inquired about the cruise insurance, was told that wa state had passed a law about trip insurance. When i looked on usaa there was a clause for does not apply for wa residents! Does anyone know what this new law is and how it applies?

Every state has its own rules and regulations about every insurance product sold to its residents including travel insurance. Also, when an insurer comes out with a new product each state requires that the insurer go through its approval process. WA has traditionally been about the slowest in this process so it's very common for an insurer to roll out a new plan to residents of every other state first -- they hate to wait for laggards like WA. So you often find WA residents excluded from buying a particular plan for a while. WA eventually catches up but like every other state they might have insisted on some changes to the plan wording which is why it's always very important to read ANY plan's state-specific exceptions in the plan's fine print.

There's lots of plans available to WA residents. You'll have no problem finding a good alternative plan.

Archived