Laptop Rental on Princess Ships?

angelsbaby1

Hello Cruisers!

We will be sailing on the Emerald Princess in June and I was wondering if it is possible to rent a laptop. We are really excited to write a detailed review (or maybe even a live blog) from the ship! ;)

We really don't have a need for a laptop on a full time basis as we have computers both at home and at work, so we were thinking of going to one of the rental places (Aaron's, Rent-a-Center, etc) and rent one for a week or two. We are looking to compare pricing to see which would be the most economical.

Does anyone know: 1. If Princess offers laptop rentals (price), and, if so, 2. What the price would be for a 7 day sailing? 3. If Elite members get any type of discount on the rental cost?

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Angel :)

I actually purchased a netbook just for this reason. The internet cafe's can be a bit on the crowded side, and with my own netbook, it makes for easy access from my stateroom. They are very inexpensive, and small enough to take along in your carry on.

They also come in handy for downloading all the pictures we take each day, and a lot more organized then trying to remember when and where they were taken.

As Colo said, no laptop rentals no matter what your status on Princess.

No, Princess does not have any laptops available to rent. You can use the desktop computers in the internet cafe. There is a charge for them. Elite get a credit that is $75, $100 or $200 depending on the length of the cruise

depending on your cruise, if you have a lot of time in ports, there may be an internet cafe with computers that would be cheaper to use. If cost is no problem, get cheap mini, you can also use it at the airport, hotel etc. to check flight status. If you have a suite with unlimited access then just use the internet cafe onboard. Although if you have lots of money:D I believe someone posted that some owners suites have a computer, but I don't know if that is true.:confused:

If you rent one from a rental place, also find out how much it would cost if you didn't return it, it could be way more expensive than to buy one.

I have the Asuss with the 10 hour battery. The only problem I had was at the longbeach airport. I just couldn't keep a signal, the DH was on his full size Sony and had no trouble keeping a signal.

No, Princess does not have any laptops available to rent. You can use the desktop computers in the internet cafe. There is a charge for them. Elite get a credit that is $75, $100 or $200 depending on the length of the cruise

Any idea how much credit a 7 day sailing would receive?

If cost is no problem, get cheap mini, you can also use it at the airport, hotel etc. to check flight status.If you have a suite with unlimited access then just use the internet cafe onboard. Although if you have lots of money:D I believe someone posted that some owners suites have a computer, but I don't know if that is true.:confused:

LOL...neither of these are the case (elite status but only a balcony cabin this time) although I wish it was! :p

Right on the Princess website under Captain's Circle Benefits. (Platinum and Elite Captain's circle members receive the following credit towards internet).

$75 for voyages of 7 days or less (equivalent to 150 minute package)

$100 for voyages of 8-20 days (equivalent to 250 minute package)

$200 for voyages of 21 or more days (equivalent to two 250 minute packages)

A computer is only in the suite on one or two ships, and those are in the Grand Suites, any other suites under the Grand Suite don't include them, and very few (only one I have heard of) includes a PC in the Grand Suite.

The Platimum/Elite internet credit is for each qualifying passenger, not for each cabin. So if you are Elite and so is your traveling companion, you will each get the credit.

Ahhh...very good to know! Thanks, Paul, for the info! :D

Right on the Princess website under Captain's Circle Benefits. (Platinum and Elite Captain's circle members receive the following credit towards internet).

$75 for voyages of 7 days or less (equivalent to 150 minute package)

$100 for voyages of 8-20 days (equivalent to 250 minute package)

$200 for voyages of 21 or more days (equivalent to two 250 minute packages)

So, that'll be $150 total (300 minutes) for my partner (who is also Elite) and myself! That would be perfect...thanks Toto!

You cannot combine the two credits. However, you can trade ID's and passwords if one wants ro give minutes to the other.

Let me make sure that I understand. Since we will be using the same computer, can she login with her ID/Password and use her minutes and I can do the same using my ID/Password?!

just make sure you sign off each time so you don't use up all your minutes or end up using more. They "for your convenience will charge you xx when your plan ends"

xx= the charge per minute which I can't remember now.

I recently came off the CB. Used both my own laptop and occaisonally the internet cafe - whatever was convenient at the time. I'm fairly sure I saw a posting that they have a limited number of laptops that they will let you "borrow" if you buy any internet plan. Not sure the specifics but I'm sure I saw something to this effect.

just make sure you sign off each time so you don't use up all your minutes or end up using more. They "for your convenience will charge you xx when your plan ends"

xx= the charge per minute which I can't remember now.

The cost is the same per minute charge as the plan you purchase. So if you buy the 250 minutes for $100 and use it all, for the rest of that session, they will charge 40 cents per minute.

Hello Cruisers!

Got a great deal on a laptop over the weekend and although I wasn't planning to purchase right now, I just couldn't resist! So now we won't have to worry about renting one...thank goodness! :D

Hopefully, we will have a live blog from the ship (or at least a nice detailed review). I love to read those and I wanted to share our experiences as well. It'll be our first time trying to do anything like this. We usually just wait until we return and depend on our memory for a review, but the old memory "just ain't what she used to be"! :eek: So I'd rather try to keep track of things on the computer.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice/opinions. I can always depend on CC'ers for the best advice and help!

Happy sailing everyone!

When I post a live thread from a cruise, I type everything in Word while off line. Then I connect to the internet and copy and paste the comments. This helps conserve those precious minutes.

Thanks Paul! I was thinking the same thing...type everything in Word and just copy & paste! Much easier and I can edit as necessary before posting.

A few of questions (to anyone who knows): How fast is the internet speed? Do the minutes work in accordance with time (i.e. is 150 minutes actually 2 1/2 hrs etc.)?! Will I have access to wireless in my cabin or other "hot spots" on the ship?

How fast is the internet speed? Do the minutes work in accordance with time (i.e. is 150 minutes actually 2 1/2 hrs etc.)?! Will I have access to wireless in my cabin or other "hot spots" on the ship?

You should have wireless in your stateroom. The speed will all depend, sometimes faster than others, but usually it is more like 'old dial up' speed.

Yes, you get the full minutes BUT, they start the moment you hit that 'connect' icon after logging in, and that sometimes has even taken a few minutes for us.

Archived