Insurance

vbecky

I am curious is it possible to still get trip insurance my final payment on cruise isn't due until April 27th for a July Mex. Riv. Cruise on the Splendor? I have never got insurance before but I am interested in it this time but don't know where to look? Any Info????:confused:

I am curious is it possible to still get trip insurance my final payment on cruise isn't due until April 27th for a July Mex. Riv. Cruise on the Splendor? I have never got insurance before but I am interested in it this time but don't know where to look? Any Info????:confused:

Carnivals Berkely insurance you can now purchase up to 14 days before sailaway. Most 3rd party policies CAN be purchased almost up to sailaway, ....but you're better off to purchase them at or within 14-21 days (depending on which Policy) of your Cruise deposit date so as to get "Waiver of Pre-Existing Medical conditions" coverage, and for some policies some extended benefits.

If you have kids, look at TravelEx and TravelInsured, who insure kids free w/ insured adults, and if you're military look at TravelInsured thru USAA.

The Carnival Berkely Policy provides low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". The Policy DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to a Pre-Existing Condition and now includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment, the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both claim that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're age is in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into Carnival Berkely’s premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages and are much less expensive if you're younger. They generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (which can expedite the claims process) if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit; CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver. Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkely Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway, and you can purchase most other policies practically up to sailaway. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health and/or Homeowners Insurance and be reimbursed/rejected by them, then the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to the limits of the policy). Primary Policies pay everything (up to limits of the Policy) without requiring you to first file and coordinate benefits with your personal policies, which can help expedite the claims process.

Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is usually offered as an option, usually for additional 50% of the premium . It’s important to read the associated Policy as many policies do not pay 100% and many policies pay LESS the later you cancel. The Princess Berkely Policy offers 75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns (if traveling with kids, if prior medical conditions, if over age 70, if Military, if concerned about LayOff….:

TravelEx and TravelInsured insure kids free with insured adults.

USAA offers their members discounted (about 9%) Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flight Delay.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You can compare Policies and Premiums for your specific age, destination, dates and cruise costs, at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as www.insuremytrip.com and www.buyamericaninsurance.com . Note that some Policies also have a $6 or $8 application Fee added-on.

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA Comfort and CSA Freestyle, and TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect.

FIRST check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country coverage and your Homeowners and Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption & Baggage Loss/Delay coverage!!! (for example, World MasterCard includes Flight AD&D and Rental Car CDW, minimal Trip Cancellation/Delay and Baggage coverage, and Government Employee’s Blue Cross includes Out-of-Country Medical Coverage, via an out-of-country Provider Network. )

ken

Thanks I will look at those, yes we have kids and I should maybe state I didn't purchase cruise through carnival don't know if that makes a difference?

The only difference it would make is if you want to add Carnival's coverage you'll have to make that request through the travel agent you're working with. If you're using a third-party plan it makes no difference at all.

I go to Insuremytrip dot com and compare policies and prices there.

I normally wait till final payment and buy it. There is one policy that still covers pre-existing conditions if you purchase with 24-48 hrs of final payment. I think it is one of the CSA policies.

I go to Insuremytrip dot com and compare policies and prices there.

I normally wait till final payment and buy it. There is one policy that still covers pre-existing conditions if you purchase with 24-48 hrs of final payment. I think it is one of the CSA policies.

Yes! CSA (and actually HTH) allows purchase up to Final Payment. ken

Carnivals Berkely insurance you can now purchase up to 14 days before sailaway. Most 3rd party policies CAN be purchased almost up to sailaway, ....but you're better off to purchase them at or within 14-21 days (depending on which Policy) of your Cruise deposit date so as to get "Waiver of Pre-Existing Medical conditions" coverage, and for some policies some extended benefits.

If you have kids, look at TravelEx and TravelInsured, who insure kids free w/ insured adults, and if you're military look at TravelInsured thru USAA.

The Carnival Berkely Policy provides low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". The Policy DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to a Pre-Existing Condition and now includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment, the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both claim that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're age is in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into Carnival Berkely’s premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages and are much less expensive if you're younger. They generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (which can expedite the claims process) if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit; CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver. Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkely Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway, and you can purchase most other policies practically up to sailaway. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health and/or Homeowners Insurance and be reimbursed/rejected by them, then the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to the limits of the policy). Primary Policies pay everything (up to limits of the Policy) without requiring you to first file and coordinate benefits with your personal policies, which can help expedite the claims process.

Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is usually offered as an option, usually for additional 50% of the premium . It’s important to read the associated Policy as many policies do not pay 100% and many policies pay LESS the later you cancel. The Princess Berkely Policy offers 75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns (if traveling with kids, if prior medical conditions, if over age 70, if Military, if concerned about LayOff….:

TravelEx and TravelInsured insure kids free with insured adults.

USAA offers their members discounted (about 9%) Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flight Delay.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You can compare Policies and Premiums for your specific age, destination, dates and cruise costs, at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as www.insuremytrip.com and www.buyamericaninsurance.com . Note that some Policies also have a $6 or $8 application Fee added-on.

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA Comfort and CSA Freestyle, and TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect.

FIRST check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country coverage and your Homeowners and Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption & Baggage Loss/Delay coverage!!! (for example, World MasterCard includes Flight AD&D and Rental Car CDW, minimal Trip Cancellation/Delay and Baggage coverage, and Government Employee’s Blue Cross includes Out-of-Country Medical Coverage, via an out-of-country Provider Network. )

ken

I did contact my Health Insurance and I do have medical for out of country. So without sounding really stupid what kind of insurance should i be looking for? We aren't flying we are driving??:confused::confused:

I did contact my Health Insurance and I do have medical for out of country. So without sounding really stupid what kind of insurance should i be looking for? We aren't flying we are driving??:confused::confused:

Medical evacuation is the biggest thing. A medical evacuation from any of the islands can run into a lot of money....more than your standard health insurance may cover.

Cost of your trip.......

vbecky - Not Stupid!!!

(1) Checkout your Out-of-Country Health Insurance for: Do they cover a medical Evacuation to a decent Hospital and how much coverage? Do they have a Physician and/or Hospital Guarantee Payment where they will front like $1000 to a Physician or $5000 to Hospital if REQUIRED to gain Admission? Do you pay the costs and get reimbursed on your return or do they have a Network that accepts the Insurance as payment and files claim? If you have a link, I'll check it?

If your Medical Coverage is Adequate and you're not flying and don't have to worry about missed connections, all you're really missing is Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage and Baggage Loss/Damage/Delay Coverage. the Cancellation/Interruption usually also covers case where you have to cancel due to illness/death of family member or traveling companion and if you have to interrupt your cruise to return home for same.

(2) Check the Credit Card that you charged the Cruise to and see if it offers (even mediocre) Trip Interruption/Cancellation coverage and Lost/Delayed Baggage coverage - that may be all you need. I haven't looked at this kind of policy, but instead, I'd look at (3) below.

(3) Unless you're adequately covered with (1) and (2) I'd consider supplementing them with one of the inexpensive Trip Insurance Policies like maybe TravelEx Basic (which is Primary, insures kids free, has Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions if purchased w/in 21 days of deposit....maybe around $25pp for a $600pp cruise) or TravelInsured Lite (especially if you're USAA member).

ken

I did contact my Health Insurance and I do have medical for out of country.

Be very careful what they are telling you. Some/most countries are not going to provide treatment or admission to the hospital without $$ upfront. They are not going to let you walk in and show an insurance card and say OK we'll bill the insurance.

If in fact you are covered, you will be required to pay up front, THEN receive reimbursement from your medical insurance provider.

This info could all be moot though IF your carrier is very different from most others.

Be very careful what they are telling you. Some/most countries are not going to provide treatment or admission to the hospital without $$ upfront. They are not going to let you walk in and show an insurance card and say OK we'll bill the insurance.

If in fact you are covered, you will be required to pay up front, THEN receive reimbursement from your medical insurance provider.

This info could all be moot though IF your carrier is very different from most others.

That would be the same protocol with travel insurance also.....

Originally Posted by klfrodo: Be very careful what they are telling you. Some/most countries are not going to provide treatment or admission to the hospital without $$ upfront. They are not going to let you walk in and show an insurance card and say OK we'll bill the insurance.

Kurbanfan: That would be the same protocol with travel insurance also.....

Yes!

For this purpose, CruiseLine's Berkely includes $1000 Hospital Advance, TravelEx includes $5000 Hospital Advance, TravelInsured includes a Hospital Guarantee, and CSA has their own Out-of-Country Provider Network and a $1000 Physician Guarantee - all if required by Provider to get Treatment. ken

Originally Posted by klfrodo: Be very careful what they are telling you. Some/most countries are not going to provide treatment or admission to the hospital without $$ upfront. They are not going to let you walk in and show an insurance card and say OK we'll bill the insurance.

Kurbanfan: That would be the same protocol with travel insurance also.....

Yes!

For this purpose, CruiseLine's Berkely includes $1000 Hospital Advance, TravelEx includes $5000 Hospital Advance, TravelInsured includes a Hospital Guarantee, and CSA has their own Out-of-Country Provider Network and a $1000 Physician Guarantee - all if required by Provider to get Treatment. ken

Thanks Ken, that was the whole jist of my post

Thanks Ken, that was the whole jist of my post

There are many more policies that don't include a couple thousand upfront for treatment (which is pennies in an emergency situation anyways)........ and most people if you have read on cc that had to file a claim with their travel insurance had to pay with a credit card upfront and were reimbursed after the fact;)

There are many more policies that don't include a couple thousand upfront for treatment (which is pennies in an emergency situation anyways)........ and most people if you have read on cc that had to file a claim with their travel insurance had to pay with a credit card upfront and were reimbursed after the fact;)

Do you just like to argue or is really that more important to be more correct (in your opinion) than someone else?

Ken has been all over the insurance questions people have asked and he's done a great job answering peoples questions to the best of his ability. Nobody can answer a question and cover each and every possible scenerio that may pop up.

But, here's to ya. You can now have a higher post count if it makes you feel better.

Do you just like to argue or is really that more important to be more correct (in your opinion) than someone else?

Ken has been all over the insurance questions people have asked and he's done a great job answering peoples questions to the best of his ability. Nobody can answer a question and cover each and every possible scenerio that may pop up.

But, here's to ya. You can now have a higher post count if it makes you feel better.

Wow......really:confused: I have med insurance that covers me out of the country just as the poster whom you quoted......just wanted others to know it is the same protocol with travel insurance.....I never said you were wrong now did I:confused: And yes Ken has great info.....

Archived