? Shorts and sleeveless shirts visiting Monastery

plg26

What are the rules on visiting churches in Columbia? In Italy we had to wear pants and all tops had to be covered. Where it is so hot in Columbia I didn't know if you were allowed to wear shorts.

What are the rules on visiting churches in Columbia? In Italy we had to wear pants and all tops had to be covered. Where it is so hot in Columbia I didn't know if you were allowed to wear shorts.
You mean Colombia, South America? No matter where you are in the world, if you visit a church, convent, monastary, etc., respect is expected and that includes dressing appropriately. FYI, I didn't notice any shorts or tank tops when I was in Colombia in January. People respected where they were.

Every tour is different, and some may even end up at a beach, but I really like shin-length wrap skirts when touring in cities around the world...cool, comfortable and appropriate, and I can easily have shorts or a swimsuit underneath, and top them with a short sleeve dressier T.

For men...zip off pants. They are perfect for touring.

Actually, I purchased a pair of zip off (leg) pants that I wear frequently on tours, just for this reason. They only take a few seconds to turn shorts into long pants for going into places where shorts are not permitted. Look online and I am sure you will be able to find a pair that will fit. FYI-I couldn't find any women's that had zip off legs, but I actually found mine onboard the Tahitian Princess in the mens section in a size small. I have used them for years, but only for tours or traveling when I might need to 'convert' my dress code for different climates/situations.

Places like Bass Pro, Cabela's, and REI all carry brands that have zip-off pants in women's styles and sizes. But I've taken to wearing capris in almost all destinations, unless I'm sure I'm just going to the beach. They're as acceptable as pants, and I, at least, find them far more comfortable than the pants, and almost as cool as shorts. Again, the above stores have many styles that are great for traveling. These are places that many women don't think to look for travel clothes (or other clothes, for that matter), but the great thing is that they are stylish and you can nearly always find warm clothes in the summer and cooler clothes in the winter, due to the many reasons people shop at these stores. At my visit to Bass Pro last month, the young woman who waited on me recounted the reason she applied for a job there: she thought it was the one retail store where she wouldn't spend her paycheck...said she quickly found out that she loved the clothes there!

If you are going to be visiting a religous place anywhere in the world, you need to be dressed appropriately and respectfully. Why risk being turned away? If you want to wear a tank top, bring another top with sleeves to cover up during the visit. You can be respectful and comfortable at the same time. For man, you would need to wear long pants. Ladies can wear a skirt or a dress as long as it covers at least to the knees. You can stoop down a little if necessary to make it seem longer -- worked in Palermo where everyone entering the church was checked out before they were allowed in. Ladies made it in, men in shorts didn't.

MARAPRINCE

Once, in Greece, we were going to the beach (wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts) when we came upon a small church and decided to go in. We had our beach pareos (wraps) in our bags and tied it around the waist like a long skirt. Looked peculiar, but the improvisation worked to keep us "respectful." I guess that in a pinch a large shawl, wrap or pareo could do double duty for the ladies. Best to plan ahead like the suggestions above.

Archived