TravelGuard comes through again! (and other insurance thoughts)

sirwired

Thanks! I am looking at the travel guard adventure plan. I want to be sure scuba is covered. Pretty reasonable at $115 (early 40's) and includes cancel for work reasons and a good amt of medical ($25k) and evac ($500k). What was important to me is that the company offer primary coverage, cancel for work reasons (that would be the only reason if we did need to cancel other than family emergencies or illness, etc), and if we were scuba diving (beginners) and something we sustained injuries as a result).

I'm looking to get Travel Guard Insurance for our upcoming cruise in September. We just booked yesterday. I assume you pay for the entire insurance package when purchased (within 15 days to be covered for pre-existing medical conditions). So my question is, if we cancel our cruise before final payment date (July), and not for any 'covered reason' or pre-existing medical condition, do we get our insurance premium refunded???? We will get our deposit back from the cruise line, so there is really no insurance to be paid out.

nope. even though you do not have any money at risk of cancellation penalties up until the cruise final payment date, the insurer (because they cover financial default) does. if the cruise line goes bankrupt and you lose tour deposit the insurer is on the hook for that loss. because they are protecting you against that possible loss fro the day you buy the policy they consider the premium to be fully earned from that point. however, if you cancel the trip they will transfer your premium to a replacement trip. your other option is to buy a policy from csa at the final payment date and you will still be covered for pre-exisying medical conditions.

but then I am 60 & the rate skyrockets. So Princess insurance will win, with no bad weather worries since Berkley is ACT OF GOD exempt as folks learned with S America & the earthquake in Chili. So we will sail 1-2 days ahead of time just in case. If we can get E Coast cruise I will drive.

I lost track of this post when it moved, but I thought I would comment on this one (if belatedly.)

The Princess/Berkley plan has no "Act of God" exclusion. I have yet to see a single person report they have been denied coverage due to such an exclusion. In fact, I know of no travel insurance policy with such an exclusion; that would be silly, as weather is also an "Act of God", and excluding weather would exclude one of the primary reasons people get insurance to begin with.

The whole fiasco with Chile involved people that chose not to travel, even though they could have. If you choose not to travel (or refuse to try and catch up with your trip if you missed it) then no, insurance will not cover you, as you did not try to mitigate your loss.

SirWired

This is a little of topic for this thread but I wanted to know if anyone buys a year plan? We cruise at least 2 x a year plus DH is regular business traveler. Our health insurance is self insured meaning out of town only covers 50% and no international. Where do I look for such a policy and is it costly? Would it still cover not only health but travel delays and trip interruption?

How much emergency evacuation coverage do you buy when traveling in Europe.

I am looking at 2 policies. One says $100,000 and the other $500,000. Is that overkill?

This is a question I am also curious about. DH had to be medflighted within our state a couple of yrs. ago and that cost alone was over $20,000; I'm assuming Europe would be much more expensive:eek:. Help.

Excellent recap.

The only factor you omitted that may have a bearing on choice of coverage is age.

The Princess insurance is one of the few that has absolutely no premium penalty for age.

Regular travel insurance coverage prices at an advanced age can be pretty daunting.

but then I am 60 & the rate skyrockets. So Princess insurance will win, with no bad weather worries since Berkley is ACT OF GOD exempt as folks learned with S America & the earthquake in Chili. So we will sail 1-2 days ahead of time just in case. If we can get E Coast cruise I will drive.

Thanks! I am looking at the travel guard adventure plan. I want to be sure scuba is covered. Pretty reasonable at $115 (early 40's) and includes cancel for work reasons and a good amt of medical ($25k) and evac ($500k). What was important to me is that the company offer primary coverage, cancel for work reasons (that would be the only reason if we did need to cancel other than family emergencies or illness, etc), and if we were scuba diving (beginners) and something we sustained injuries as a result).

Check out DAN (divers alert network) for insurance that covers scuba, very reasonably priced too!

Archived