How formal is formal?

mimigirl54

I'm sorry, sorry, sorry for posting another formal night question. :o

But I can't find an answer to my rather specific question, so here goes.....

How formal are formal nights? We are going on a 20 night Trans Canal cruise on the Statendam in about four weeks. I am planning on bringing one long dress (the one I wore to my daughter's wedding) and two short ones (about knee length or a little longer). The long one is pretty "fancy". The short ones are less so. Rather light material, sleeveless, with some understated bling-bling. Will the short ones look out of place? I really hope not, because they're easy to pack, don't wrinkle, and don't take up as much room as a fancy-schmancy dress. ;)

Comments? Advice? Thanks!

The definition of formal is a tux and evening gown. Do you have to wear that? No, but many will. A dark suit (not a sportscoat) and cocktail dress (not a sundress) will be ok, too.

The current HAL web site says

On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

not nearly as formal as that.

The current HAL web site says

On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

not nearly as formal as that.

She described a gown & 2 cocktail dresses, well within the Formal recommendation.:)

The definition of formal is a tux and evening gown. Do you have to wear that? No, but many will. A dark suit (not a sportscoat) and cocktail dress (not a sundress) will be ok, too.

The OP did not ask for a definition of "formal" -- she asked whether the clothes she was planning on taking would be suitable for "formal nights" on her cruise, and how formal "formal nights" would be.

OP, yes, what you've described will be fine. And as for "many" wearing "tux and evening gown", it's been my recent experience that few were dressed in tux and evening gown.

The OP did not ask for a definition of "formal" -- she asked whether the clothes she was planning on taking would be suitable for "formal nights" on her cruise, and how formal "formal nights" would be.

OP, yes, what you've described will be fine. And as for "many" wearing "tux and evening gown", it's been my recent experience that few were dressed in tux and evening gown.

I would agree with that observation. Only Cunard has really full compliance with formal night....almost all tuxes and gowns.

I'm sorry, sorry, sorry for posting another formal night question. :o

But I can't find an answer to my rather specific question, so here goes.....

How formal are formal nights? We are going on a 20 night Trans Canal cruise on the Statendam in about four weeks. I am planning on bringing one long dress (the one I wore to my daughter's wedding) and two short ones (about knee length or a little longer). The long one is pretty "fancy". The short ones are less so. Rather light material, sleeveless, with some understated bling-bling. Will the short ones look out of place? I really hope not, because they're easy to pack, don't wrinkle, and don't take up as much room as a fancy-schmancy dress. ;)

Comments? Advice? Thanks!

Your dresses sound perfect for formal evenings, have a wonderful cruise.

mimigirl54, what you describe sounds perfect. I can't imagine why anyone would think that the "short" dresses might look out of place; they sound like nice cocktail dresses, and based upon HAL's code plus what I've seen worn by ladies aboard ship, they should be very nice indeed. Especially, as someone else mentioned, if you accessorize them a tiny bit with bling or other fancy stuff.

The following goes to my fellow CCers, though mimigirl54 is welcome to "listen in" (so to speak). Please remember that this is a Transatlantic crossing with MANY at-sea days. The Captain will almost certainly have a Black & White Ball, and there will be a lot of passengers aboard who are used to pushing the notch upward quite a bit when it comes to dress. Nevertheless, what mimigirl54 has described is perfectly within not only what the Line has outlined in its code (which is the important point), it's also perfectly within what ladies actually wear on such cruises. So ... those who think she's not dressed up enough ... LAY OFF. And for those who think they need to say that she'll be too dressed up ... LAY OFF. Neither of you are right. What mimigirl54 describes will be perfect. I hope she comes back and posts pictures afterwards.

mimigirl54, what you describe sounds perfect. I can't imagine why anyone would think that the "short" dresses might look out of place; they sound like nice cocktail dresses, and based upon HAL's code plus what I've seen worn by ladies aboard ship, they should be very nice indeed. Especially, as someone else mentioned, if you accessorize them a tiny bit with bling or other fancy stuff.

The following goes to my fellow CCers, though mimigirl54 is welcome to "listen in" (so to speak). Please remember that this is a Transatlantic crossing with MANY at-sea days. Oops! No, it's a Trans-CANAL cruise :o The Captain will almost certainly have a Black & White Ball, and there will be a lot of passengers aboard who are used to pushing the notch upward quite a bit when it comes to dress. Nevertheless, what mimigirl54 has described is perfectly within not only what the Line has outlined in its code (which is the important point), it's also perfectly within what ladies actually wear on such cruises. So ... those who think she's not dressed up enough ... LAY OFF. And for those who think they need to say that she'll be too dressed up ... LAY OFF. Neither of you are right. What mimigirl54 describes will be perfect. I hope she comes back and posts pictures afterwards.

Thanks for your kind comments. I haven't taken offense at any of the posts, but it's always nice to have someone "stick up" for you. I shall attempt to post some pictures post-cruise, but I usually have a lot of trouble even getting my avatar pictures uploaded. Maybe I'll learn something helpful at the classes they offer onboard. :p

I am certain that mimigirl154 will be just fine. I would caution her not to pay close attention to the wardrobe advice that she gets on this board. Much of it is self serving and incorrect. Much of it is given by people, who for some reason unknown to man or beast, fancy themselves as fashion officianados when clearly they are simply voicing their personal preferences.

You will be beautiful and among the best dressed, Mam!;)

Since luggage "restraints" began, many ladies are wearing dressy pants (satin, etc.) with fancy tops..........and they look just fine. It saves bringing high heels which match dresses, etc.

Just relax and know that whatever you wear will be FINE; if someone decided to "judge" you, who cares? You'll most likely never see them again anyhow.

I love seeing the pretty gowns, but they're becoming fewer and fewer.

I also love it when people do what the ship asks.............and remain dressed for the entire evening. Many people did not do that on our cruise a week ago. When we had the beautiful dessert extravaganza there were lots of shorts (not nice shorts, just grubbies) mixed in with some beautiful long gowns..............and everything in between. I thought those who were still "formal" were showing those pastry chefs who'd worked so hard that they appreciated all they do............just MO.

The following goes to my fellow CCers, though mimigirl54 is welcome to "listen in" (so to speak). Please remember that this is a Transatlantic crossing with MANY at-sea days. The Captain will almost certainly have a Black & White Ball, and there will be a lot of passengers aboard who are used to pushing the notch upward quite a bit when it comes to dress. Nevertheless, what mimigirl54 has described is perfectly within not only what the Line has outlined in its code (which is the important point), it's also perfectly within what ladies actually wear on such cruises. So ... those who think she's not dressed up enough ... LAY OFF. And for those who think they need to say that she'll be too dressed up ... LAY OFF. Neither of you are right. What mimigirl54 describes will be perfect. I hope she comes back and posts pictures afterwards.

And this answers the question perfectly. :D Why am I posting at all? :eek:Wish I'd written this.

And this answers the question perfectly. :D Why am I posting at all? :eek:Wish I'd written this.

Thanks, although I was somewhat mistaken about the itinerary -- I misread it in my haste to post and thought that the OP said they were doing a Transatlantic when, in fact, they're doing a Transcanal cruise. Nevertheless, my advice is valid either way ... the longer itineraries tend to attract people who lean more toward the dressier side. Not always, but often. And, besides, what the OP described is perfectly within HAL's published dress code. No worries.

I would agree with that observation. Only Cunard has really full compliance with formal night....almost all tuxes and gowns.

I would have to add Silversea and Crystal to this, both lines also have compliance with formal night.

I must express my disappointment with HAL on the matter of formal night, as there was little adherance to the dress code and shorts were allowed in the mdr on formal night which kinda defeats the object. I certainly felt overdressed, although I did get tons of nice comments, it was a real shame there were not more people joining us. We had travelled over 12 hours to get to the US and managed to take formal wear,so i am at a loss as to why many from the US use luggage space as a formal night excuse???

I do not need an excuse to not like or do formal nights....its a Carribean vacation, after all!

Its a good job not everyone thinks this way! It would be easy for the english to take this attitude towards european cruises, as after all Europe is the equivalent to the caribbean for the UK in terms of distance.

HOWEVER, we don't, we tend to abide by the stipulated dress codes! :D

OP is going on a longer cruise. These cruises the people do tend to dress up more.

What OP described sounds perfect!!

Also there is the posibility that on this long cruise there will be a Black & White Ball.

How does one find out if there will be a Black & White ball? If this is the case, I shall bring another long formal (which is black) in place of one of my short dresses. Or I'll throw the short one in too....there's 6 formal nights on this cruise and it's always fun to wear something different. :)

Thanks for the link! It was very interesting to see what other people have actually worn to formal nights on different cruises.

I don't have anything Oscar worthy for pete's sake! It's good knowing that a pretty dress will work as long as it isn't capable of doubling as a cover up. And you know, no flip flops with it either. :)

Archived