Cayo Levantado

dennisj

We will be on a cruise on the Holland Noordam to Samana, Dominican Republic the first week of May and I just wanted to ask is there a good safe way to get to Cayo Levantado ? Is there a ferry that goes to the Island ? Thank you.....:)

When we were there in January 2010, the only way to CL was via ship tour.

How did you like Cayo Levantado? (I assume you went there?) We are thinking of doing that excursion in May (RCI- Enchantment of the Seas). I was wondering if it was very crowded, it seems like it would be a popular excursion for cruisers.

We just went to Cayo Levantado on March 24th on EOS. We had to book an excursion. Beach was beautiful but that is all there is. Some village people were selling jewelery, wooden things, etc. Very pushy. Some of the people went into town and went straight back to the ship. They did not like it in Samana. No way to get there unless your ship offers it I don't think.

We booked through NCL and the beach is beautiful - water is turquoise and white sand. Highly recommend it. Others that didn't have anything planned were disappointed with Samana.

If you happen to find a beautiful men's wedding band with 5 good sized diamonds. . . . please let me know. My husband lost it in the water and it never resurfaced. :(

If you go to Cayo Laventado, make sure to get yourself a pina colada in a pineapple from one of the locals. One of the best drinks I've ever had and he even gave us the pineapple that he carved out to make room for the drink which was excellent. The sea lion excursion that they do on Cayo Laventado is good if that's something you'd be interested in.

Cayo Leventado is cool, but it is a total tourist trap. It is a way for the cruise line to keep your dollar in their pocket while giving you a fake authentic experience. I strongly encourage Casa Dorado and a trip to Playa Rincon. It's authentic and BEAUTIFUL!!! I have some samana pictures on my photo page on the link Below. I liked Cayo, but I wouldnt say its great.

Archived