Iguazu Falls - Clothing

Aussie Gal

I am hoping someone may be able to answer this question

Our cruise ship leaves from Rio and we are going to the Falls for two nights. We will be leaving our luggage at our hotel and just taking our carry on bags.

What do we need to take in the form of clothing for the falls. I know swimwear is a must but did you take long pants or shorts or both and did you have long sleeves or short sleeves for tops. We are worried about the mosquitoes. I suffered from Dengue Fever back in 1980 (caught it in Bali) so do not want a repeat bout of that again. We don't want to take too much but we do want to be prepared.

Thanks for your answers

Jennie

Hi AussieGal-

As I mentioned to you earlier on another post, my husband and I visited Iguacu last January and had a wonderful time.

It was very hot when we visited, but the humidity wasn't at all bad as I anticipated (I was thinking it would be like Niagara Falls - not even close!). For viewing on the Brazilian side, shorts and t-shirts/tanks are fine. The walk isn't that long, so you can wear sandals or tennis shoes. You will get a little wet from the mist if you go all the way out on the lower observation deck, but it won't be that bad.

For viewing on the Argentina side, the walk is longer (the amount of walking altogether is more) and you will definitely get wet when you're on the Devil's Throat observation deck. We wore swim suits under our shorts and tanks and I think I was fine with my sandals. Bring a waterproof camera - it will get wet. It felt good though, as it was so hot out.

As for bug bites, the only time we got bit was when we did the Maruco Safari ride (the river ride was fun). They give you citronella oil (we brought stuff as well), but we still got a few bites. It wasn't too bad. Just walking around the hotel (we stayed at the Tropical) or around the bird park was fine, no bites at all.

Hope this info helps, have fun!

DaisyGal,

Thanks for all that information. We are staying two nights but have elected to stay at the Sheraton Hotel with a view room on the Argentinian side so I will be ready to get wet!!

We are looking forward to this so much. I have never seen a large waterfall, the largest we have here is just some water going over a few rocks Certainly not spectacular like the Niagara. the Victoria or the Iguazu.

Jennie

We went to the falls last November and loved it. Stayed at the Sheraton which was clean and had good views. Loved sitting in the balcony of the bar overlooking the devils throat in the distance drinking the local beer. The trails are long but fun, but you will be hot. Saw much wildlife such as monkeys and a racoon looking animal.

Don't miss taking the train out to the devils throat observation point it was the best view on the trip. Enjoy, it was well worth it for us.

Thanks Jag,

The more information on this trip the better. We will definitely take the train to devils throat.

Would you mind doing a review of your experiences on Galapagos Island when you return. We are not going with Celebrity we will be on another ship. We are doing this after our cruise in January, so any information would be terrific.

Jennie

Since both dengue and yellow fever are endemic in the Iguassu area, I would strongly recommend using a good strong mosquito repellant (one combined with a sunscreen specifically is best here) and wearing a light weight long sleeved shirt and long pants. Yes, you will be warm, but wearing cotton helps a lot. I was advised about this specifically for that area by the travel health clinic I went to for my immunizations, and was glad I did.

I did not take a bathing suit. No time to go swimming unless you want to do this in the evening at the hotel pool when there is more risk of mosquito bites anyway. It is not safe to swim in the river. I wore the same clothing above on the boat ride under the falls and just got wet...which was quite refreshing. Be sure to take sturdy shoes (not sandals). The paths and many stairs on the Brazil side are rough cut stone, and the metal pathways on the Argentina side can be very hot in the sun so you want good foot protection. Carry water with you on both sides as there are very few vendors for sodas, etc.

The racoon-like animals are coatimundis. They are more populous on the Brazil side. Do not feed them, and don't disturb them. They are quite bold and will take food from people's hands, but like racoons, have very sharp teeth and claws and are wild animals, not pets.

Thanks Splinter for this valuable information. I have a pair of great linen pants which are made for very hot days - not structured but hang loosely and have an elastic waist. I will take them and my long sleeve shirt and I should be safe.

I have a fear of getting Dengue again and I am determined to avoid getting bitten as much as I can. I know dusk is the worst time for mosquitoes so will avoid being out at that time. Thanks also for the tip on shoes. I have some great shoes which have rubber soles and are very light so will be wearing them.

Jennie

Wow - what an experience. We were there on the 25th and 26th of January.

We were so lucky with the weather. We did not experience heat or rain and although we used repellent, we never saw a single bug. If you do the speedboat ride - highly recommended - you will want to wear a bathing suit unless you don't care about getting soaked.

Iguazu Falls make Niagra look like a dripping faucet. You're in for a real thrill.

Vicky

DaisyGal,

We are staying two nights but have elected to stay at the Sheraton Hotel with a view room on the Argentinian side so I will be ready to get wet!!

Jennie

I suggest you consider the Tropical Iguacu Falls Hotel (formally Das Cataratas) on the Brazil side http://www.discoverbrazil.com/nhotels/TropicalIguacuFallsHotel/

The Sheraton is nicer and has the best long distance view, but this hotel is RIGHT THERE. Great close view and very short walk to falls.

Bob

We stayed at this old hotel while in Iguazu. We liked it very much - a "Grand Old Dame". Our room was very comfortable and the bathroom newly remodeled. The shower was almost as powerful as the falls themselves. The view was spectacular - you are right there!

Somehow, continents apart, this hotel reminded me of staying at the old Banff Springs hotel in Canada - maybe the vintage baronial feeling here.

While our experience at the hotel was great, others in our group found the hotel lacking. Ohe well, there's no pleasing everyone.

Vicky

Bob,

We are very happy with our choice as I have read some wonderful reviews about staying at the Sheraton and the wonderful view. We have also had friends who have stayed there and loved it. As we are there for 3 days, we are going to be taken to both sides and as we are fit and love walking we are quite happy to walk a bit further if we have to.

We are spending a huge amount of money for our six weeks in S.A. and we feel that while we are at the Falls why not have a room with a view.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

We were just in Iguazzu Falls on jan 31/Feb 1 and it is well worth the trip.

We stayed at the Sheraton which I feel is the only place to stay as it is right in the park at the Falls. Plus as the airport is in the park it is only about a 10 - 15 minute transfer from the airport to the hotel. This is a very nice hotel.

It is hot there so dress accordingly - I felt soryy for those who were wearing long pants & sleeves. I did take bug repellant with me and used it but saw very few bugs. However we did not take the jungle safari.

I would strongly recommend our guide Saulo Campos who met us at the airport then stayed with us and took us on all of the walks. It was great having someone along who knew where to go and could point out things.

saulocampos@pop.com.br

Saulo spoke perfect english and it sure was nice to walk off the plane and be met with a nice mini bus to transfer us to the Sheraton. Once at the Sheraton Caulo sat us in the lobby/lounge and while we enjoyed a refreshing glass of fresh orange juice he got us all checked into the hotel - a big help as not all of the hotel staff speak english.

As soon as we were checked in and ready he took us on our first walk which was the upper circuit.

For anyone travelling who finds walking a challenge all of the paths on the Argentine side a basically flat with few or no steps. The upper circuit is shaded while Devil's Throat is out in the open sunshine so hotter a good one to do first thing in the morning.

The Sheraton has a very nice pool which is very refreshing after a hot walk to see the falls. Remember you are in the tropics here so the sun rises around 6am and sets year round at about 6:30pm. The park closes at 7pm and everyone must be in off the trails by then.

Enjoy the Falls they are well worth the time and money!

Ann

Ann,

Thanks for confirming that we are staying in the right place. We will have a guide as we have booked our time in Rio and the Falls with a firm back here in Oz and they organize cars to meet us, guides etc. which means it will be hassle free hopefully.

We are good walkers, in fact we have just come back from bushwalking for a few days in our mountains, so walking does not worry us at all. I am so looking forward to seeing S.A. and all the different scenic areas.

Jennie

• 1 month later...

We were at Iguassu On Feb.10 & 11th and we just overcome by the beauty of the falls. Living less than two hours from Niagara Falls, I was going to compare them and felt my loyalty to The local one. Boy! Was I mistaken. The falls (and there are many of them) are superb. They are surrounded by so much natural greenery. This is Mother Nature's natural tranquilizer. Watching the water flow takes all of your cares away.

I wore long pants and long sleeved shirts made of very fine cotton material that is called "Guaze" It is so lightweight and yet protective.

We stayed at the Sheraton and yes it is lovely to have a fallsview room and sit on your balcony and enjoy the view. I was also impressed with the food. Our excursion included dinner, breakfast, and a lunch. We had such a great variety of tasty dishes.

A magnificent experience in total.

Fran

Fran,

Thanks for the update. We also have booked a Falls View room and we have two nights there.

Thanks also for letting me know what you wore. I have some fine linen cool pants that really just hang and will take both pairs of them together with a couple of long sleeve shirts. I certainly do not want to get attacked by mosquitoes.

I am certainly looking forward to seeing these wonderful falls.

Jennie

You get to the Falls by transfering to the domestic airport and flying to the falls. They are much too far to drive in a reasonable time. From the airport it is a short drive to the Sheraton. I assume you wish to go to the Argentina side of the falls.There are people at the airport who can take you to the hotel or you can arrange for someone to take you before you leave home.

Archived