Question about medications in carry on.

Gracious Rose

Just a heads up.. for a small cost most pharmacys will put a week or two's worth of your daily meds into a bubble pack, individual days meds seperated, so all you have to do is open that days meds. I love it! All flat and nice and neat. these are labeled with the prescription on them. Individually packaged.. very nice to carry in handbag.. and they can make them up for up to 30 days supply. Check into it! Specially nice if flying so tsa or anybody else aren't opening your bottles, or weekly supply container.

Worth it to us, even with the extra cost.

Unlike the previous two posters, I, and members of my family, have been stopped by the TSA and questioned about the medications in our carry ons. My mom used to take a lot of pills, and she kept them in the original container, and it was a good thing. One TSA agent pulled out the baggie with the original containers and said "you're lucky that you have these in the bottles, because if they weren't, we could have taken you aside and gone through every single pill, figuring out what they're for". My dad put his in the days of the week container, and he had a huge problem with the TSA. They checked every pill, asked questions and told him to NEVER again put his pills in a days of the week container when he flew.

Just because some haven't been stopped, doesn't mean it won't happen. My dad nearly missed his flight. Some TSA agents take their jobs way too seriously. Heck, my mom was flying to Las Vegas and one TSA agent saw the cash she had in her purse and questioned her for over 5 minutes. It was no business why mom had that money in her purse and the TSA went beyond the scope of their job, but some of these guys are on a power trip.

So, I personally think it's better to have the pills in their own containers with your name on the bottles. You might get stuck with a TSA agent who could take your pills away.

That's crazy!!! I'll definitely make sure we take our bottles with us.

I think I might take the bottles. I would hate to be stopped. That would suck. Thanks, everyone. :)

I just throw all mine in a big zip lock bag to keep them all together! That way they are really easy to pull out and don't roll all over the place.

i take mine in their bottles and dont just take enough i take some extras too...just never know....i had been putting my bottles in a zip and putting them in the bin right with my 3 oz zip lock bag...this last cruise i just left them in my personal carry on.

Unlike the previous two posters, I, and members of my family, have been stopped by the TSA and questioned about the medications in our carry ons. My mom used to take a lot of pills, and she kept them in the original container, and it was a good thing. One TSA agent pulled out the baggie with the original containers and said "you're lucky that you have these in the bottles, because if they weren't, we could have taken you aside and gone through every single pill, figuring out what they're for". My dad put his in the days of the week container, and he had a huge problem with the TSA. They checked every pill, asked questions and told him to NEVER again put his pills in a days of the week container when he flew.

Just because some haven't been stopped, doesn't mean it won't happen. My dad nearly missed his flight. Some TSA agents take their jobs way too seriously. Heck, my mom was flying to Las Vegas and one TSA agent saw the cash she had in her purse and questioned her for over 5 minutes. It was no business why mom had that money in her purse and the TSA went beyond the scope of their job, but some of these guys are on a power trip.

So, I personally think it's better to have the pills in their own containers with your name on the bottles. You might get stuck with a TSA agent who could take your pills away.

The TSA rules state that pills do NOT have to be in their original bottles.

We carry a print out of that rule from the website but we've never had to use it. We've never even had to show the copies of prescriptions we carry.

I bag in a small baggie (purchased by the 100 from SciPlus.com) each day's pills and put all those small baggies in a quart size ziplock and put in a copy of each Rx). We've flown and cruised all over the world and I've never had a problem with TSA or with customs.

As I said, if you look at the TSA rules on their website those rules state that pills do not have to be in original containers. So, just print that out and carry it with you.

Archived