experience with buy american (now insubuy)

I have been looking at insuremytrip and saw buy american mentioned in another post, they seem to be much better priced and several will allow us to wait until final payment to purchase insurance instead of 10-21 days, and pre-existing is still waived, does anyone have experience with them? I know they aren't the actual company that insures us, and they say right on their site, insurance is regulated so everyone has to quote the same price, but I saw several of the same policy names on both sites, so I am a little leery.

Also, insurance is for pre-paid costs, and several policies are very clear about ALL costs, but that wouldn't include hotel, would it? We don't pay until we check out, so that's not pre-paid, but the guy on the phone said to include it.....

Also, insurance is for pre-paid costs, and several policies are very clear about ALL costs, but that wouldn't include hotel, would it? We don't pay until we check out, so that's not pre-paid, but the guy on the phone said to include it.....

Only insure pre-paid, NON-REFUNDABLE costs. If you're a no-show at the hotel will they hit your credit card for one night's rate? Then it's insurable. Whether or not you have to insure it depends on the plan you're looking at. With many plans in order to be eligible for the pre-existing condition waiver you have to insure all of your pre-paid, non-refundable trip arrangements. With others you don't.

Thanks! Haven't booked the hotel yet, was going to keep in mind if we would have that charge or not, and then add it when we book it, guess it wouldn't hurt to throw it on, should only be $80 or so, that shouldn't raise the cost of the insurance too much.

Archived