wide angle binoculars

dreamalaska

Wide angle is kind of a relative thing. The true measure of it is the width of the image at 1000 feet. Around 400 feet width at 1000 is probably considered wide angle. In general the field of view decreases as the power of the binocular goes up. It increases as the objective lens size increases. 42 mm for a 7X would be quite wide, for 8X wide, and 10X not wide. Also porro prism type binoculars will generally have a wider view than roof prism. Wide angle is most important when looking a things closer to you, and trying to follow fast quicker moving objects. Hope that helps some,

The field of view is reported by feet when measured at 1000 yards. Like the previous poster mentioned, the higher the magnification, the narrower the FOV. Normally, there is no direct correlation between objective size and field of view. But in general, larger binoculars have lower FOV than smaller binoculars even though they have the same magnifications (quite shocking! ). I like wide angle, which gives more relaxing view. Hence, I will choose 8x over 10x. But either one should work well depending on your preference. For 8x, you need at least 370 ft to be called wide angle. And for 10x, 300ft is must. Magnification over 12x is not recommended for too much hand shaking. Don't use zoom binoculars either, they all have extremely narrow FOV and dim image.

Without knowing your magnification power and real FOV, it is hard to guess whether a 42mm is a wide angle or not.

Wide angle is most important when looking a things closer to you, and trying to follow fast quicker moving objects. Hope that helps some,

Wide angle is very important with marine wildlife watching. You need that added field of view, since the area is so vast. With a narrow field of view, you can not track nearly as well. An example is you will see something by sighting, then won't be able to find it through binoculars, because you won't have as many landmarks in the view to reference.

There are quite significant differences in the field of view between binoculars with the same basic specs - 8X42. Here is some information I posted in another thread comparing 3 roof prism models to 1 porro prism model:

All are quality binoculars with fully multi coated lenses, and all are waterproof. All are 8X42 and have the same exit pupil diameter (5.25mm). The advantage of roof prism is said to be weight & size. The advantage of porro is better quality at lower cost, wider field of view, and a better three dimensional image.

Roof Prism Models

Nikon Monarch ATB

Cost - $280

Wt - 21.5 oz

Field of View - 330'

Zen Ray ZRS

Cost - $205

Wt. - 23.2 oz

Field of View - 393'

Leupold Mojave

Cost - $417

Wt. - 23 oz

Field of View - 340'

Porro Prism Model

Bushnell Legend

Cost $115

Wt. - 24 oz

Field of View 430'

There are quite significant differences in the field of view between binoculars with the same basic specs - 8X42. Here is some information I posted in another thread comparing 3 roof prism models to 1 porro prism model:

All are quality binoculars with fully multi coated lenses, and all are waterproof. All are 8X42 and have the same exit pupil diameter (5.25mm). The advantage of roof prism is said to be weight & size. The advantage of porro is better quality at lower cost, wider field of view, and a better three dimensional image.

Roof Prism Models

Nikon Monarch ATB

Cost - $280

Wt - 21.5 oz

Field of View - 330'

Zen Ray ZRS

Cost - $205

Wt. - 23.2 oz

Field of View - 393'

Leupold Mojave

Cost - $417

Wt. - 23 oz

Field of View - 340'

Porro Prism Model

Bushnell Legend

Cost $115

Wt. - 24 oz

Field of View 430'

Definately some great information, that took you time to compile. :)

Another consideration is ergonomics. We used to have a pair of Porro binoculars. DW has relatively small hands. She does not like hold it for too long. Switching to roof (It's the more streamline shaped binoculars) did make a huge difference for her.

Another consideration is ergonomics. We used to have a pair of Porro binoculars. DW has relatively small hands. She does not like hold it for too long. Switching to roof (It's the more streamline shaped binoculars) did make a huge difference for her.

I agree completely. Although a wide field of view is a nice feature to have, other factors (including optical clarity, brightness, ergonomics) are equally important. With a little practice you can learn to find and track wildlife with any field of view, but there is no way to overcome poor quality optics and uncomfortable ergonomics.

I agree completely. Although a wide field of view is a nice feature to have, other factors (including optical clarity, brightness, ergonomics) are equally important. With a little practice you can learn to find and track wildlife with any field of view, but there is no way to overcome poor quality optics and uncomfortable ergonomics.

we had an old pair of Tasco binoculars that rarely got any use. I think it is Porro with the zigzag shape and large frame. It is just too bulky for me to hold or put in the suitcase. Now DH and I each got a pair of more compact roof binoculars. The quality is much clearer to my eyes.

Archived