Help for Beginner -- Links to follow prices

Experts,

Our local and national paper have carried a few very enticing articles about River Cruising in Europe.

This winter we did a Nile Cruise as part of a longer land holiday in the Middle East and quite enjoyed the concept. It was all prearranged by our Travel Agent.

I'm at a loss where to begin as we rather like the idea of a similar cruise in Europe.

• What lines send out Emailed special rates?
  • Which lines would you recommend?
  • And on the off-chance a fellow Canadian is reading this, do you remember the full page spred in the Post, for a real deal for a November cruise which included air fares?

If river cruisers are as helpful as ocean cruisers, I'll send advance thanks.

Ruth

Greetings from a fellow Canuck... I live in Whitby.

We have traveled with both Uniworld and AMA - and were pleased with both. There is lots of good info on this thread about the different lines - and many have their favourites. The most consistent piece of advice is to look at itinerary first, and then work on dates, prices, lines etc. Sometimes the choice is obvious - sometimes it isn't.

I work with a TA, and am happy with that arrangement. I know that many use an on-line TA, but I have not felt the need to "move".

I usually get the brochures when they come out - and then visit the websites for the companies and sign up for their e-mail service. You will then know which companies truly have sales. For example, Viking frequently offers "2 for 1" pricing, but it only takes it down to the cost of many of the other lines.

Sorry - don't remember the spread in the Post - as I read the Star. But - depending on the itinerary, November might not be the "bargain" you think it is (ie: weather may not be the best...). However, if the cruise is late November (ie: for Christmas markets) - then you need to travel after the start of Advent for the markets to be open.

Besides Uniworld and AMA, look at Avalon and Tauck (although Tauck is a bit more expensive...) Do look at Viking as well. There have been some posters who have experienced some challenges with Viking, but there are many who have traveled with them numerous times.

Welcome to river cruising...

Fran

Thank you Fran for a most complete reply.

We too work with an excellent TA - -would you believe we've never met her in person as she's in British Columbia, but is a 'friend of a friend.'

We'll have blown most of our travel budget this year with a trip to the Middle East and an upcoming Alaskan cruise for our family of 16 to celebrate our 45th anniversary, and so price matters. We know the weather could be horrid, but since it's history we're after it won't change.

I feel as lost about this as for our first cruise about 7 years ago.

But your advice to follow this thread is well taken.

We're in Kanata and prefer to escape some of our winter -- even to another winter with more interesting history or scenery.

Thanks for your reply,

Ruth

Have you been to Alaska before??? We went 3 years ago (our 1st cruise) and just loved it. We found we didn't use all of the amenities on the ship, however (not gamblers) and didn't enjoy "dressing for dinner" so a river cruise is perfect for us.

If you are looking for history, the Danube might be a good way to start. Depending on the time you are able to spend away, there are some itineraries that go between Budapest and Nuremberg - with a couple of days in Prague. The travel time from the Danube to Prague is about 5 hours - so it is good to do Prague with the cruise company. Some include it (ie: AMA) and some offer it as an optional extension.

If you keep watching the websites, they will offer specials. And - if you sign up for the e-mail notifications, you will know when new offers become available. The only problem is, you may want to take more than one river cruise this year if a really good deal comes along!!!

Have fun!!

Fran

The weather would be warmer than most European cruises, know that s important, I m from Detroit originally and now in FL, so now how bad the winters can be.....We really loved our Uniworld Douro cruise, lovely sun and scenery....go to Lisbon first and many museums,etc.then bus to Porto.River is gorgeous, rolling hills, olive and grapes all over, great wine...etc....visit Salamanca Spain, loads of history in most ports,so would highly recommend it.....Alaska will be lovely, hope you get to Denali also..:)

Two must see cities are Prague and Budapest so beyond that we're open to any routes.

Alexandra, we haven't been to Portugal, but after a 9 day cruise in '09 we stayed on in Spain on our own for three weeks and did more in depth touring than ocean cruising allows.

No, Fran this will be our first time to Alaska -- a first for each of our 16 family members so it should be great. We're sailing late May and are well aware that the weather will be iffy, but that's what we could afford -- along with inside steerage cabins for all.

I've subscribed to a few links thanks to your suggestions and have sent an Email to our TA.

The Euro is currently well priced for us right now so it might be our time for Europe.

We did Alaska very early in June (flew into Fairbanks on June 2 for the beginning of a cruise tour...). We had amazing weather. In fact, it was warmer in Alaska than in Vancouver!!

If you are interested in Budapest and Prague (absolutely loved both cities...) then take a look at http://thepreismans.com/. Click on the link for the Danube cruise - and prepare to be amazed. Mike Preisman posted an extremely detailed review of their cruise with AMA, and we took the same cruise last year.

We ended up with AMA because they included Bratislava - a "must have" stop for my husband as his grandparents were Slovak. Avalon has a similar itinerary - minus the Bratislava stop - so you might want to look a that as well.

Archived