England in April

Jane110

It is warming up a bit here and beginning to feel like spring. On a couple of dry days I have worn my black linen suits for work, but other days I'm back into wool crepe. The silk long johns sometimes hidden underneath are no longer needed.

I am normally a sandal woman (with well pedicured feet, this is a city) whenever I can be, but I am, sadly, still wearing closed shoes. I think boots would be too warm now.

My winter coat has been swapped for a mac (raincoat) or light jacket.

Casual uniform now tends to be very light tweed trousers or jeans or cords and a light weight pullover in cotton, wool or cashmere depending on the weather; sometimes with a fleece jacket on top if the day hasn't warmed up.

The most layers I wear would be a camisole under the pullover with a jacket, or mac on top.

When it gets warmer later in the month the pullover will be swapped for a scoop neck 3/4 sleeve t-shirt. sometimes with a linen jacket. The trousers would be jeans or heavy linen.

The weather in London depends too on how central you are. I live in the City which has a micro-climate warm enough to grow oleanders and olive trees on our balconies. The suburbs often have snow when we have none.

The wind off the sea can be fierce, something to break it would be good.

I didnt mean too many layers!! its not that bad T shirt or cami with blouse or cardi and a jacket thats easy to carry . The weather is fab in Wales at the moment ( never thought I would say that) I went into town wearing linen skirt ,T shirt ,thin cardi ,NO TIGHTS and OPEN TOE shoes obviously painted toe nails even if it is rural there are limits . Its lovely here when the weathers good come over and have a good time .

I didnt mean to shout but it is the first tightless day of the year

It is warming up a bit here and beginning to feel like spring. On a couple of dry days I have worn my black linen suits for work, but other days I'm back into wool crepe. The silk long johns sometimes hidden underneath are no longer needed.

I am normally a sandal woman (with well pedicured feet, this is a city) whenever I can be, but I am, sadly, still wearing closed shoes. I think boots would be too warm now.

My winter coat has been swapped for a mac (raincoat) or light jacket.

Casual uniform now tends to be very light tweed trousers or jeans or cords and a light weight pullover in cotton, wool or cashmere depending on the weather; sometimes with a fleece jacket on top if the day hasn't warmed up.

The most layers I wear would be a camisole under the pullover with a jacket, or mac on top.

When it gets warmer later in the month the pullover will be swapped for a scoop neck 3/4 sleeve t-shirt. sometimes with a linen jacket. The trousers would be jeans or heavy linen.

The weather in London depends too on how central you are. I live in the City which has a micro-climate warm enough to grow oleanders and olive trees on our balconies. The suburbs often have snow when we have none.

The wind off the sea can be fierce, something to break it would be good.

Hello Delphine!!!

I was wondering who or what had got your attention as I haven't heard from you on our Roll Call - Denise is crossing the ocean as we speak & God speed to her & fellow passengers! Your fashion sense is starting to terrify me - I thought I was pretty cool about it all but am clearly not as in-tune as your good self. Have you had any thoughts re the breakfast/brunch situation @ Southampton. I realise that some feel we are a tad OTT re organisation, but this is one trip whereby I already feel a 'single passenger' & would like to meet as many similarly minded folk as possible. Perhaps we'd be better chatting on the Roll call?

Love

Anamaria

I think a lot depends on where you hail from - when we went down to London a couple of Octobers ago we were wandering around in our T shirts, most other people were wrapped up in their windcheaters/waterproof jackets (do you know the thing I mean, e.g. a North Face coat, not sure what it's called stateside)

But, because we're used to colder temps up here in Scotland, so it was positively balmy for us down there. I hadn't believed a colleague when he told me it was warm in October.

Trainers/running shoes/leather flats/Hush Puppy type lace ups or even flip flops if you're feeling the heat.

anything goes, you'll see all sorts of footwear if you care to notice.

I'd go for three layers on my body. I'd have a lightweight waterproof which helps keep the wind out too, I'd have a cardigan or jumper on, then a T shirt or blouse underneath.

That way if it's too warm I can carry the jacket, and if it's too warm inside I can take the cardigan off.

I'll be dressing the same for Alaska in the summer, the temps are likely to be similar to those of London in April.

It's finally starting to warm up here in the Midlands. Yesterday was 16 degrees celsius, and I was out in a trapeze top, long cardi, trousers and flat boots. OH and his friend were off to a football match, and the friend was braving it in just a t shirt - rather him than me, I think - brrrr...

If you have time when you return, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Eclipse. We are on the 21st May sailing to the Canaries, and I can't wait!

I think a lot depends on where you hail from - when we went down to London a couple of Octobers ago we were wandering around in our T shirts, most other people were wrapped up in their windcheaters/waterproof jackets (do you know the thing I mean, e.g. a North Face coat, not sure what it's called stateside)

But, because we're used to colder temps up here in Scotland, so it was positively balmy for us down there. I hadn't believed a colleague when he told me it was warm in October.

Trainers/running shoes/leather flats/Hush Puppy type lace ups or even flip flops if you're feeling the heat.

anything goes, you'll see all sorts of footwear if you care to notice.

I'd go for three layers on my body. I'd have a lightweight waterproof which helps keep the wind out too, I'd have a cardigan or jumper on, then a T shirt or blouse underneath.

That way if it's too warm I can carry the jacket, and if it's too warm inside I can take the cardigan off.

I'll be dressing the same for Alaska in the summer, the temps are likely to be similar to those of London in April.

Next to my name it says I'm from NYC.

I'd never wear trainers/sneakers in the street.

The weather here in NY is nutty now. It was 80 degrees F, last week and everyone was in shirtsleeves and sandals, then this weekend it was in the 40's and the winter coats were out again. So I'm sure London is the samw way. I'll have to take a little of everything.

That said..........

Who knows if I'll even get there.

We're supposed to leave on Monday, but with Heathrow still closed from the volcano, who knows if or when I'll be going.

I'm just lucky not to be one of the people stranded far from home.

Jane, I don't know if you realise, but that seems a bit sharp. I'm hoping you didn't come back to this thread just to make Ailuro feel bad about missing the NYC in your heading?

Trainers may not be your thing, but they are perfectly acceptable in London - she was merely offering a suggetion to your original question. I know it's hard to read "tone" over the internet, but your response just struck me as somewhat disdainful.

I really hope you get to go on your cruise, and that the volcano problem doesn't hold up your flight. I'm sitting here in the UK unsure if my flight will leave next week, so here's hoping for an end to all the ash.

Respectfully

Seraphine

The weather here in NY is nutty now. It was 80 degrees F, last week and everyone was in shirtsleeves and sandals, then this weekend it was in the 40's and the winter coats were out again. So I'm sure London is the samw way. I'll have to take a little of everything.

That said..........

Who knows if I'll even get there.

We're supposed to leave on Monday, but with Heathrow still closed from the volcano, who knows if or when I'll be going.

I'm just lucky not to be one of the people stranded far from home.

Jane, I wondered if that volcano would effect you. I was hoping you had already left. My hubby says flights can still go to Barcelona, but if the bigger volcano erupts-maybe not even there.

I am so sorry. First your back messed you up last summer, and now this.

It has just been announced that BA can fly from 22.00hrs tonight (Tuesday) Hope you make it out alright.:)

Many people here wear trainers in the street, or casual Merrell type shoes, some people now seem to wear Crocs year round, that's where my personal line gets drawn for footwear, flip flops, Crocs, and Ugg boots. But....to each their own, and vive la difference.

I agree it is hard to read tone when something is written, thanks for that, Seraphine!.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Jane did you make it to your cruise and trip? I wondered as I read a post of a person from Britain stuck in FL for 2 weeks after his cruise because flights were so backed up, once the flights started again. I hope you did.

Archived