I am so very lucky, thanks Royal Caribbean

I was thinking today about the very first cruise I took.

It was in 2004, and the funny thing about it was I has decided to cruise just so I could get a small taste of a few different islands.

My plan was to take a port-intensive cruise that year and then go back to one of the islands I liked from the cruise the following year.

Oops.

I have yet to take a land-based vacation since that cruise. I was hooked on cruising after the very first night.

To me, it was an amazing thing to go to bed in one location and wake up in a totally new and interesting place.

In the case of this first cruise I awoke and went on deck to find myself confronted with such a beautiful sight. We has sailed from San Juan the night before and I walked out on deck to see the beautiful blue water and green hillsides of St. Thomas.

I look back on the decision making process I went through before deciding to sail with Royal Caribbean and I am so very happy I decided on that particular cruise. What sold me on it was the fact that it had so many ports of call in such a short time. The other cruise I was looking at had more sea days and I thought I'd be bored.

One more thing I laugh about now are the sea days. I love them! I have come to appreciate the ability cruising gives me to do more than I could ever imagine to keep busy or to do nothing at all and simply relax.

I love every minute I spend cruising and even the planning of cruises excites me.

Yes, there have been rough spots on every cruise I have been on. From civil unrest in Puerto Rico delaying our disembarkation one year to lost luggage and sewage smells another.

However, I look back upon every cruise I have been on and never are the most vivid memories the small bumps in the journey.

Instead, I can look back on each and every cruise and remember fondly the wait staff we had or the amazing tour guide we had or the tablemates we couldn't stop laughing with.

I'm sure I have had some meals that weren't the best or a waiter that didn't refill my water glass as fast as he should have but I couldn't tell you for sure. But ask me about the night I spent in Puerto Rico pre-cruise and you will be regaled with stories about sea kayaking at night and the super guide we had take us through the mangroves so we could hear all the night wild life.

I guess I am just lucky to see that when all is said and done I have been blessed with memories shaped and shared by everyone we come in contact with.

These memories are what I feel lucky for and thank Royal Caribbean everyday for helping make possible.

I think of everyone I have been honored to meet and share these experiences with as family and I can't wait to add even more people to this extended family in the future.

Happy sailing everyone!

Thanks for the reminder to count my blessings also. I just returned from a cruise with most of my family and we had so much fun. It is the third time my husband and I have been able to cruise with our children and their families and we do have great memories from each cruise. I am very grateful that we have those memories (even if only two of the three were on Royal Caribbean) and my grandchildren do get upset when Grampy and I decide to cruise by ourselves. However, those cruises also generate some great memories.

Thanks for this post. I think we all need to remember to give thanks for the blessings we have.

Jan

Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan was also my first Love-at-first-Cruise-w/Royal Caribbean. It would appear that we have similar sensibility and sense of adventure as I could so relate to what you've said. I so enjoy sea days!!

I'm with you-my first few cruises were all about cramming in as many ports as we could, like notches on a belt. Now, I look for the cruises with the most days at sea and a stop at a private island. Ports are my third choice for places to go. My first cruise was RCI as well and I have been hooked ever since...Maureen

I am so happy I discovered cruising at such a young age (going to be 22 in 1 day) - all of my friends run off to all inclusive resorts & overpriced land vacations. I keep telling them cruising is the way to go. It's so simple and cheaper. Get on the ship and everything is taken care of. I priced out a land vacation at a local beach for the same amount of nights I was on for my first cruise last May (9 nights for $1,000 when it was all said and done). The beach would have been double that price for just the room. I am definitely going to be a cruiser for life.

Amen.

And what an eloquent, and very true, statement.

Thanks for stating what needs to be reinforced to those that are in need of reminding why we do what we do, cruise.

It seems there are those who feel that every adventure is one of their personal entitlement and if there are these small bumps in the road they "deserve", nay demand, "compensation" for THEIR inconvience. Life, and leasure is a rollercoaster, GO WITH THE FLOW and enjoy the ride.

This post speaks volumes. I too was interested in the ports at first, but now I love sea days! I think I cruise now as my destination--the ports are just icing. When I told my husband I was planning our first cruise he was fine with it (whatever I wanted), but once he had his first taste he was hooked too. We take lots of other vacations, but cruising is a passion for me and I'm truly blessed to be able to go on them.

Kerrie:)

Every time DH and I plan a land based vacation, we happen to look at cruise prices and see how much MORE vacation we can get for the same price, or even less. We also have yet to plan a land based vacation since our Honeymoon. We do take a few trips up north each year to do some wine tasting that we love, but no big land vacations. Cruising is our FAVORITE!

Love it! I know when I read of people being categorized because they defend their cruise line, the critics never give this type of theory any thought.

Much of what you wrote is so very true. Not every trip is perfection, but it sure is a whole lot better than "real" life :)

Happy Birthday to Kathykins56!!!

I definitely agree with you all about cruising. I cannot swim, and am somewhat afraid of the water. I was scared to take a cruise. :eek: I was 43 on my first cruise. We have taken 2 land vacations since we started cruising 7 years ago. In the last 7 years (this week is the anniversary of our first cruise!) we have taken 23 cruises! Yep, I am totally hooked on cruising, and so is my DH! Cruising is always the one thing DH & I can ALWAYS AGREE ON! :D :D :D

Archived