Teens Cruising During Christmas Break: Celebrity or Carnival?

GodsChild

Hello, all. My husband and I have cruised before, but this will be the first time taking our 2 daughters, ages 16 and 17. We will be taking them to the Eastern Carib. the first week of Christmas Break (approx. Dec. 16 - 24) hoping there will be other teens on board. We have narrowed it down to Celebrity's Millenium and Carnival's Triumph.

We are worried about the Celebrity's reviews indicating the ages of the passengers being mostly over 50 (we experienced the same thing on a 10-day Princess cruise, but found it only to be true on the longer cruises). We have also never been to any of the Milly's ports, but would love to go back to the Triumph's ports, as well. The biggest complaint I have read about Triumph is the crowded decks. Are there really no deck chairs and are the lines really that long at the buffet, etc.? My husband and I (late 30's), of course, would like to take the Milly, but we are leaning toward the Triumph because we feel more teens will be onboard.

Does the Triumph have a Teen Disco? The girls would LOVE that! They indicate they don't care if they are "treated like a princess," they just want to have a blast!

We just want them to have the memory of a lifetime! Suggestions? Recommendations? Opinions? PLEASE HELP!!

• 2 years later...

I am not a huge Carnival fan, but the Celebrity clientele is decidedly more mature. THere will be fewer kids and because it tends to price higher, there will be more older folks on there.

I say go for the Triumph!

When our kids were young we took them on six Celebrity cruises. They were wonderful for the kids and there were always enough kids to make the cruise fun for them. You've made a great choice and there will be kids on board the cruise so don't worry as they will have a great time along with the parents.

Keith

It's Christmas time, so there will be kids on both cruises.

Celebrity and Carnival are very different cruise experiences. I would pick the one that most appeals to you and the kids will have fun regardless of what ship they're on! That's the great thing about the first cruise!

Celebrity is a more formal experience. That's not a slam on Carnival, but reality. On Celebrity you'll have formal, informal/semiformal and casual. On Carnival, you'll just have formal and casual. Personally, I think Carnival is more geared towards teens than Celebrity. And since Carnival has pretty much succeeded in dumping their over-party image, they've become a pretty nice cruise line, especially for families. Even though you'll be cruising on a holiday, there will be many more kids on Carnival.

We just returned from a 7 day cruise on Coral Princess over Christmas. Last Christmas we went on Carnival Valor. Both were great ships and we had a blast on both ships.

After talking to our kids (ages 8, 11, 13 (almost 14)) they indicated that they liked Carnival better than Princess. There were plenty of kids on board both ships but they felt there was more to do on the Carnival ship. Dh, MIL and I all preferred Princess.

I think the adults might prefer the more sedate Celebrity experience, but Carnival suits the younger crowd a little better. We all had a great time on both trips and each year we make our vacation decision based on a variety of factors. I think either one will suit your needs. This year we got a great price on Princess so that's what we chose. Next year who knows????

Hello, all. My husband and I have cruised before, but this will be the first time taking our 2 daughters, ages 16 and 17. We will be taking them to the Eastern Carib. the first week of Christmas Break (approx. Dec. 16 - 24) hoping there will be other teens on board. We have narrowed it down to Celebrity's Millenium and Carnival's Triumph.

We are worried about the Celebrity's reviews indicating the ages of the passengers being mostly over 50 (we experienced the same thing on a 10-day Princess cruise, but found it only to be true on the longer cruises). We have also never been to any of the Milly's ports, but would love to go back to the Triumph's ports, as well. The biggest complaint I have read about Triumph is the crowded decks. Are there really no deck chairs and are the lines really that long at the buffet, etc.? My husband and I (late 30's), of course, would like to take the Milly, but we are leaning toward the Triumph because we feel more teens will be onboard.

Does the Triumph have a Teen Disco? The girls would LOVE that! They indicate they don't care if they are "treated like a princess," they just want to have a blast!

We just want them to have the memory of a lifetime! Suggestions? Recommendations? Opinions? PLEASE HELP!!

Is this wrong or is this OP from Jan 2005?

Boy, are you right !!!! Someone was doing some post searching and found this very old post. Pretty funny? Obviously the OP never got an answer and the second post of this thread must have been reading some very old posts and when he/she replied, it bumped this post up.

Archived