Pants That Zip Off Into Shorts

I was thinking of getting some pants that convert into shorts (by unzipping the legs) for my Travel Wardrobe. They could save room when packing. But I don't know if the zippers around the legs would be uncomfy to sit on... :eek:

Has anyone tried them? What did you think of them?

Thank you so much!

The zippers (at least on all of those pants I've seen) are backed with fabric, so you don't have the actual zipper in contact with your skin.

Where are you cruising? If it's the Caribbean, then just bring shorts and forget the long pants (except for dinner--and those zip-off things are pretty casual!)

I think they are a good idea if you are doing something really active or when you don’t know what you might need to wear (unpredictable weather, etc). I have also heard of people wearing them when travelling in Europe to be able to zip them on when going inside of churches. However, in general I am not sure they are worth it. I feel like I would never wear them “as pants” if I had the choice because I just don’t think they look as nice. Also, unless you are bringing more than one pair of these convertible-type pants, I am not sure how much space you would really be saving (the space of a pair of shorts, which doesn’t seem all that much to me, but then again, I pack a ton ;) ).

I always wear zip-off or roll-up pants when I travel to the Caribbean, as I leave a winter climate in the early morning, and then arrive in a hot place by afternoon. Then I can use them as shorts for the duration of the trip, and zip the legs back on for my flight home. I don't bring any other pants as I only need them for the flights.

The length of shorts varies quite a bit--some made for hiking tend to have shorter shorts (6"-8" inseam), but some made for travel, such as the REI brand, have longer shorts that come to just above the knee, or just below the knee (14-17"). I find these styles more flattering, as well as more comfortable as the zippers are not in a spot that gets as much pressure when you're sitting.

http://www.rei.com/product/798925

I've taken zip-offs every time I've cruised. I'm even wearing a pair right now at home.

I used to have some very lightweight ladies ones that I found at a Sears outlet that are waiting in my closet for me to lose weight.

Now I have 2 pair of Men's Eddie Bauer pants in grey and beige that I didn't even have to shorten.

For me they are great to fly from Canada in long pants and then I unzip the legs when I get to sunny Florida.

Great for East Coast and Alaska cruises also when you don't know if you'll get any shorts weather.

IMHO they are totally worth it :) The zips (as mentioned) are in little protective flaps, so they don't dig in. They are lightweight, and depending on the fabric may be quick-drying. I take them whenever/whereever I travel. In warm climates I like them for kayaking (full pant) as they provide some sun protection, even when wet (unlike most sunscreen). Then when back on the beach, easy to zip the bottoms off and still have mostly dry shorts. And they are great for areas like where we live -- cold mornings, even in summer, then HOT afternoons.

I own several pairs of them. They look great IMHO.

DH and I each have a pair of these that we purchased when we were big into backpacking. Great for cool mornings/evenings but warm afternoons. We have an REI brand. Have had them for about 13 years. They've held up well.

Like a PP said, they are great when you would like a little more sun protection (especially with a quick dry fabric), they aren't heavy so not too hot either for the purpose.

Also especially handy for travel days. I find airports and airplanes to be cold sometimes, hot others. These come in handy for a quick change in response to a changing environment. Ours are thin (quick dry) and so pack in the cargo pockets well, if necessary.

They are comfortable to wear so if they suit your purpose, get them.

P.S. Be sure to wash both, even if you only wore them as shorts. My pant legs weren't always washed with my shorts and so the shorts are just slightly more faded than the pant legs now...keep in mind, they ARE 13+ years old...

But I don't know if the zippers around the legs would be uncomfy to sit on... :eek:

Has anyone tried them? What did you think of them?

Thank you so much!

i have had some in the last few years...nothing really recent and i havent taken them on my cruises...usually just for camping...i find that they hit me funny and i dont like the feel of that

I bought a pair of them a while ago and took them on a cruise once but never again. We generally cruise warm weather ports so it is warm enough in morning for shorts in the first place. Also when I zipped them off it was one an extra thing to keep track of.

Shak

My oldest DS {9} swears by them! He will go to school on cool mornings with pants on and come home in shorts. He loves them! I know youre an adult,but here,sometimes the bottom part gets lost...but youre not 9.:)

That's a great price, luckycruzer! Which outlet store did you find them in?

the outlet stores are usually in shopping centers..where grocery, drug, sm rest. Radio shak, etc are in..Google locations. Mondays and Fri are age respected for 15%extra off..and they have their "DOT" % off..and you can double dip.

the outlet stores are usually in shopping centers..where grocery, drug, sm rest. Radio shak, etc are in..Google locations. Mondays and Fri are age respected for 15%extra off..and they have their "DOT" % off..and you can double dip.

My favorite store is Bealls / Burkes! They're also in CA, AR, LA, MS, NC, NM, NV, SC, TN, TX, etc. I'll start my search for the zip-offs there. (Don't forget the 10% off on your birthday!) Thanks for the info, luckycruzer.

Thanks for the fit tip, Bookish Angel. My DD is very slim & this could help her.

Good point on washing all the pieces together, Anita Latte.

MANY THANKS to everyone who has taken time to reply! :) I'm learning so much on these boards!!!

Archived