Use Cash or Credit Cards?

cruisegirl36

What would you recommend using while in ports... Cash or credit cards? I know some places you will be charged a fee, how do you know if you will(like an international fee)? If you pay cash will you be given their money and if so is there a place to exchange back to US dollars?

Most places take the US dollar in port. I try and use cash 99.9% of the time. I know my CC charges me an international fee for every purchase...its minimal though so I dont care about that. I think it is like 15 cents or something stupid.

Most credit cards charge a 3% fee on charges that are in non-U.S. currency.

You don't say what ports you will be in. In the Caribbean, most will accept U.S. $. In the one place they had to give me change, I got in local currency. No big deal. I went a bought an ice cream.

What would you recommend using while in ports... Cash or credit cards? I know some places you will be charged a fee, how do you know if you will(like an international fee)? If you pay cash will you be given their money and if so is there a place to exchange back to US dollars?

Every port I've even been to takes US dollars and gives US dollars back in change. I'm not sure about the Credit card fee as I've never used a Credit card overseas.

Most credit cards charge a 3% fee on charges that are in non-U.S. currency.

You don't say what ports you will be in. In the Caribbean, most will accept U.S. $. In the one place they had to give me change, I got in local currency. No big deal. I went a bought an ice cream.

Were going to be on Conquest in September and going to Cozumel, Monetgo bay and Cayman Islands.. I do have a Capital One card so I guess we need to use our card we will use that one.

Were going to be on Conquest in September and going to Cozumel, Monetgo bay and Cayman Islands.. I do have a Capital One card so I guess we need to use our card we will use that one.

You'll be fine with cash and the Capital One has no foreign transaction fee so that will work for you too

All credit cards charge a fee except Capital One. They eat the fees on both ends. I have that card and think it is great.

Same here. I was pleasantly surprised when I called them pre-cruise and they told me no fees :D

Grand Cayman will take usd but will only give you change in their currency. And so you know, their dollar is worth more than ours. Our dollars are only worth 75 cents there. They are also very expensive. If I ever go back there I will do excursion off ship. But the water is beautiful there.

I only use cash in the ports. I take 100 in ones, 100 in fives, 100 in tens and the rest twenties. I always give them the exact change when in port. I seem to be able to haggle a bit more that way.

Archived