Question about water for C-Pap

If you have another type of medical condition that has not been mentioned, please inquire about policies and procedures that may affect your cruise. Call us at (866) 592-7225 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622, send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com, or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/otherNeeds.do;jsessionid=0000r2vtuk4vgZ6cyOu7sT_qxLr:13hldio7n

My husband uses a C-Pap machine at night and it takes distilled water. Is there anyway we can get that on the ship?

Just send an email to specialneeds@rccl.com and request a bottle of distilled water for the C-Pap machine, and it will be put in your cabin. My husband uses one too, and we request it a couple of weeks prior to cruising. Also remember to either pack an extension cord, or ask for that too. They are very accommodating.

The ship's tap water is fine for your c-pap for the duration of your cruise. You can ask about the distilled water, but it is not necessary. Clean the humidifier as you normally do (soak in 1:1 vinegar:water) when you get home. The water on the ship is desalinated which is very effective for removing the mineral deposits you are trying to avoid.

The ship's tap water is fine for your c-pap for the duration of your cruise. You can ask about the distilled water, but it is not necessary. Clean the humidifier as you normally do (soak in 1:1 vinegar:water) when you get home. The water on the ship is desalinated which is very effective for removing the mineral deposits you are trying to avoid.

Have read on these boards that sometimes the ship bring water on from the public water supply of ports so that not all of the water is desalinated. Don't know if it is true or not but since the ship will provide distilled water for CPAPs - why take the chance? Just order the distilled water.

DH has a CPAP machine that uses tap water. He does the vinegar thing regularly. Don't believe it's anything special: it's an AUTOSET SPIRIT II.

As a Respiratory Therapist who works for a home care company. I would strongly encourage you to change to distilled water in your DH humidifier. I think someone along the way forgot to tell you to use distilled water. The use of the water has nothing to do with the performance of the machine, but it has to do with the fact that you are inhaling that same water. All the stuff you see in your humidifier at the end of the week? Imagine what is going into your lungs. :eek:

And yes, Royal will deliver a gallon of distilled water to your room, an extension cord, and ask the steward to duct tape the cord to the floor so you don't trip on it. or unplug the machine every morning.

I only use the humidifier on my CPAP when the humidity is low. When on a cruise ship it seems the moist air never causes me any problem. Other threads talk about the different ways the ships make their tap water and its result is the same as distilled. I doubt the ship would pump water on from the ports to use in the drinking system. Think of the contaniments they could end up with in their system.

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. I've contacted them and hopefully will be able to get something done before we get there. Nothing like waiting until the very end. Story of my life.

When they reply, make sure you take a copy of the confirmation email with you. Of the three times that we have made a request for special needs, all three we have found that our request was not fulfilled. Our room stewards were really good about trying to help out and usually by the second day, we were able to get what we had requested.

We were on the Liberty last summer and my brother-in-law had this machine and needed a small extention cord to reach the room plug. We were in D1 balconies. So, you may want to pack one.

Oops....I don't remember if there is a size difference, but we were in D2 balcony cabins. Sorry.:eek:

DH has a CPAP machine that uses tap water. He does the vinegar thing regularly. Don't believe it's anything special: it's an AUTOSET SPIRIT II.

As a fellow CPAP user:

There is nothing like blowing dissolved minerals into your lungs under pressure.

Tap water doesn't hurt the machine at all. Not so good for you.

Archived