Just Back 3rd-10th April Colourful Coasts

jessie36

We got back from colourful Coasts Yesterday and Sadly I dont think we would go on this ship again. I have already booked for Atlantic Sunrise April 2011 prior to going on this cruise and I am in two minds whether to cancel the booking. The cabins were fine, entertainment was ok, crew tried there hardest but the food was poor in all but the Oasis restaurant. I did catch a bug in the last three days but this I feel is entirely down to the other passengers not sanitising there hands and even in some instances argued with the crew who asked very politely for them to please use the gels provided. It was only on leaving the ship we spoke to others who had been ill . The "Guest Relations Desk" is manned by entirely by overseas staff who speak poor english and were rude and unhelpful. If you are thinking of getting off in Agadior ignore the map given to you by the reception as it is wrong. The bird park/zoo has moved to the other end of agadir. Although we were warned about the taxi drivers by staff and other reviewers you are not told that they will argue with you as you step off the ship and ask to be taken anywhere they dont want to take you. They ignore the prices on the thompson board at the gangway, we had to walk past many before we found one willing to take us to the beach area and souk. People arriving back from organised thompson trips said they wish they had not bothered. This is another reason for cancelling next years trip as Casablanca is on the itinerary and a day at sea to end up in Morrocco does not enthrall me.

A member if the entertainments staff told us they had had various complaints about the ship and things should improve after the refit in November. Apparently when the ship was taken on food contracts etc were continued and run out in October this year so a lot of the contractors have been told they will not be renewed and standards have dropped.

I did not want to write a negative review as I really want people to enjoy any holiday they have booked and I am sure they will but I feel just a little dissapointed. We were on the celebration at Christmas and maybe we were spoilt foodwise and the AI drinks list covered everything, not so Island Escape. :mad: I guess we could just wait to read reviews after the refit but its a long while to wait. Decisions, Decisions

Hi Jessie,

Sorry to hear you did not have as good a time as expected.

I said on here I felt the food was not as good as last time before Thomson's took her over. Now I know why.

We too did not like Morocco and have cancelled a cruise on Destiny as it has 2 stops in Morocco :eek:

We went on an excursion in Agadir, but the boys went into town by taxi. As both in their 20's and eldest is 6 foot 3 did not get much hassle off taxi drivers.

I also agree about the non use of sanitizers by passengers if they could get away with it.

Thanks for letting us know how you got on.

Berwyn

Hi Jessie36

Sorry you didn't enjoy your holiday. It's alway worse when you've been ill as I know. I agree about Agadir and we stayed on the ship. It's probably best if you can give it a couple of weeks and separate the individual bits that went wrong so you can see if you have a different perspective. Then you can decide with a clear head whether to cancel or not. If you feel as badly then it might be best to start afresh. I remember us going to Rhodes and being promised new sc accommodation. We got there at night and pulled up at this small block in the middle of nowhere half way up a steep hill outside Falliraki. The rep showed us the stairs and disappeared with the speed of an Olympic sprinter. What a slum! it was like a cell they hold hostages in. It was so small that one of us had to climb in one side of the bed to get to the other:eek:. Self catering! 2 knives and 1 bent fork. We had to stay there for 5 days before getting moved. Oh yes! we still remember Gallini apartments. We laugh about it now but we weren't laughing then. :D:D Good luck.

Jan

Thanks Berwyn and Jan, You are both right, there were some good bits and being ill does change your perspective. I will wait till the summer brochure comes out and just check it out, but I dont want to leave it to long as if we change the cruise I want thompson to move the deposit already paid to the new cruise, I have spoken to them and they said put everything in writing once I have decided. Still feel spending two nights and a day travelling to and from morroco is not something I want to do again, and prior to being ill I felt as If I was still on my diet as the food was dire some days. we did take our son and his friend and they had a good time and they managed to find a macdonalds in every port although they gave the one in Agadir a miss!!!. Berwyn I look forward to your dream review on the other forum.

Kind Regards

Hi Jessie,

DW has a sensitive stomach and she has been fine both times.

It was a good cruise to take our 2 sons in their 20's on for a first time. the eldest especially does not love being dragged around big sites. like Rome or Florence.

We were able to transfer our deposit to the Dream from Destiny with no problem

Berwyn

Hi Jessie

I've been thinking about your trip today and just wondered if all of your party had a problem with the food. I remembered that a few years ago when we were in Ibiza I had the most terrible food poisoning for the last 3 days, I thought I was going to die. My point is that while I thought it came out of the blue when the photos came back I was shocked at how I looked, drawn and ashen, so I must have been sickening for it for a couple of days. I was a bit weird over food and other things but didn't know it, I thought I was totally normal. Even though we had been to that resort a few times before we have never been back as all I can think about when I remember that holiday is the food poisoning. I don't know if this would happen to you but you might not want to revisit that feeling of being ill and associating it with the ship. I could be totally wrong (I usually am :)) but it might be something to think about when you make your decision.

Just to say that we were on the IE 2 weeks before you and were ok.

Hope you don't mind my views, you can shout at me if you like :D:D.

Best Wishes

Jan

Hi Jan,

I wouldnt dream of shouting at you, you may be right about some form of food poisoning but it was only me that was ill and myself and hubby ate most of the same things. On the day it started I remember feeling nauseous and put it down to too much sun but by evening I had to quickly excuse myself from The Island Restuarant and quickly get up to our room on Deck 9. I am still dissapointed about the trip but have not cancelled the cruise for next year yet. We like having a balcony on Deck 9 even if they are just stuck on the side and the fresh air helped when confined to cabin. I am sure they will do a good job on the refit and we love the sailaway bar/deck and there are lots of other things to like, but If I am honest 2 nights and one day to get to/from morroco for flies and hassle is not a good thought for me and the stomach bug just added to my stress. I will wait on the reviews of the dream and the summer 2011 brochures to come out and then decide. :)

Hi Jessie

Funny isn't it, my hubby and I always eat the same things but I get the poison. Do you think he's slipping something in my dinner?:D:D. One time I persuaded him to try the sardines in Portugal. An old man was cooking them in the street and I loved mine, hubby really didn't want any but I went on and on about how nice they were so he caved in. Was he ill!! and have I never heard the end of it to this day? Strange though I was perfectly fine. lol :D. Hope you're feeling better, though I should stop writing about it now as it will bring it all back :eek: (if you'll forgive the pun) :).

Jan

Hi Jessie

Funny isn't it, my hubby and I always eat the same things but I get the poison. Do you think he's slipping something in my dinner?:D:D. One time I persuaded him to try the sardines in Portugal. An old man was cooking them in the street and I loved mine, hubby really didn't want any but I went on and on about how nice they were so he caved in. Was he ill!! and have I never heard the end of it to this day? Strange though I was perfectly fine. lol :D. Hope you're feeling better, though I should stop writing about it now as it will bring it all back :eek: (if you'll forgive the pun) :).

Jan

Hi Jan and Jessie,

I've got one like you two. She's got the gippy tummy even though we eat almost the same.

I'm with your hubby Jan, i wouldn't eat fresh oily fish full stop. They never agree with me and I've got a stomach like a dustbin. You can throw practically any old rubbish in it.

Berwyn

Don't mention the T word :D No not yet Jan :(

Berwyn

We've got to stump up the balance for Ottoman Treasures this weekend :eek:.

Right before my birthday on Sunday too, that'll be a choccy muffin with a candle on then. :eek:

Jan

We've got to stump up the balance for Ottoman Treasures this weekend :eek:.

Right before my birthday on Sunday too, that'll be a choccy muffin with a candle on then. :eek:

Jan

You could always push the boat out and stretch to a pizza from Asda. They've also got a nice Pinot Grigot 3 bottles. for £10 to go with it. :)

Berwyn

You could always push the boat out and stretch to a pizza from Asda. They've also got a nice Pinot Grigot 3 bottles. for £10 to go with it. :)

Berwyn

As much as that. You've not met my husband have you :D:D. Sorry gone off thread again, we should start one called Idiotic and Trivial. No, could do better than that title.

Jan

As much as that. You've not met my husband have you :D:D. Sorry gone off thread again, we should start one called Idiotic and Trivial. No, could do better than that title.

Jan

It actually said £6.80 a bottle or the 3 for 10. Crazy pricing.

Got to watch the pennies so can pay for the cruising. Anyway £3 or £10 a bottle I can't tell the difference and they both have the same effect.. Hic....:)

Good idea for a title, then no one could complain about us wandering off line.

Berwyn

It actually said £6.80 a bottle or the 3 for 10. Crazy pricing.

Got to watch the pennies so can pay for the cruising. Anyway £3 or £10 a bottle I can't tell the difference and they both have the same effect.. Hic....:)

Good idea for a title, then no one could complain about us wandering off line.

Berwyn

That's a good price. I'm off to get some before weekend.:D:D. Now! where did I read about a good hangover cure? :D:D.

Jan

That's a good price. I'm off to get some before weekend.:D:D. Now! where did I read about a good hangover cure? :D:D.

Jan

If you're popping down to Asda, you might want get a bucket at the same time.

Catch the runny eggs as they come back up :eek::D

Berwyn

If you're popping down to Asda, you might want get a bucket at the same time.

Catch the runny eggs as they come back up :eek::D

Berwyn

That was funny :D:D but I can't answer that without seeming unsympathetic to Jessie being unwell.

Sorry about that Jessie. Hope you're not still feeling ill.

Jan

That was funny :D:D but I can't answer that without seeming unsympathetic to Jessie being unwell.

Sorry about that Jessie. Hope you're not still feeling ill.

Jan

That's very true Jan. Sorry Jessie. That's the trouble with having a stomach like mine. You don't really appreciate how others are suffering.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn and Jan,

You both put a smile on my face when you go off thread. I feel a lot better today, wish I had waited before posting my first message but I was so dissapointed just needed to have a winge. Still have not cancelled the cruise but going back to morrocco for two nights and one day does not do it for me. I am sure the refit will improve things but will wait for the summer dream itinerary for 2011 and change to a week then. Thanks ever so for cheering me up and look forward to reading all your future posts on here and the Thompson forum.

Kind Regards

Jessie:)

Hi Jessie,

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Still no Tickets :(

People tend to wander off topic if someone mentions something and it just goes that way.

Been in the wars overnight.

While i was in work last night had to go down to Casualty dept. they had to cut my wedding ring off. It had been a bit sore under it for a bit, but last night was really bad. Have arthritis in joints so they couldn't slide it off.

Then on way home this a.m. someone drove out of a side road and straight into the side of the front of the car I was having a lift in.

I'm OK, just a bit stiff, but the driver hit her head in the side of the door and had bad stiffness to her spine. Can't sleep yet as brain won't slow down yet.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn

Sorry to hear all that. Probably best to stay up, there's nothing worse than tossing and turning. Good job you're not going on holiday this week with the airport situation. My wedding rings the same as I'v got a bit of arthritis in my knuckle joints. My mother had to get hers cut off as her knuckle swelled up to the size of a large marble so I've always made sure I can get mine off. If I don't get it off before going on holiday it's agony. At the moment I can't get it back on, so apart from the rubies and pearls I'm owed I really need a new ring in a larger size. Pigs might fly.:D:D

Glad to hear you're feeling better Jessie. Know what you mean about Morrocco but we did all the things on the ship we didn't have time for the rest of the week so it wasn't wasted time.

Jan

Hi Berwyn

Sorry to hear all that. Probably best to stay up, there's nothing worse than tossing and turning. Good job you're not going on holiday this week with the airport situation. My wedding rings the same as I'v got a bit of arthritis in my knuckle joints. My mother had to get hers cut off as her knuckle swelled up to the size of a large marble so I've always made sure I can get mine off. If I don't get it off before going on holiday it's agony. At the moment I can't get it back on, so apart from the rubies and pearls I'm owed I really need a new ring in a larger size. Pigs might fly.:D:D

Glad to hear you're feeling better Jessie. Know what you mean about Morrocco but we did all the things on the ship we didn't have time for the rest of the week so it wasn't wasted time.

Jan

HI Jan,

Got a bit of sleep, good job I'm one of those that doesn't need much.

DW had to take hers off last month as her fingers became swollen with fluid,

We had to get her a cheap one to do instead till the fingers go down.

Father in law made both our rings, so they really have sentimental value.

My Joint is not quite as big as your mum's but swollen . Finger bone is quite thin.

Looks like I'll have to pop down to Argos for a cheap gent's one. Feels really odd without it after 30 years.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn

I know we're off thread again but forgot to say that my mums knuckle went down over time and ended up a normal size. My sister, being a bit old fashioned, was horrified that I took my rings off but I wasn't going to let that happen to me. Perhaps you could get new rings and have the captain of the ship do a blessing (only £175 or so):eek:. Tell you what I'm as qualified as them so I'll do it if you want.:D:D

Actually can you have your rings made bigger?

Jan

Hi Berwyn

Perhaps you could get new rings and have the captain of the ship do a blessing (only £175 or so):eek:. Tell you what I'm as qualified as them so I'll do it if you want.:D:D

Actually can you have your rings made bigger?

Jan

AT £175 a go I'm not surprised you're 1st in the queue to bless them :D:D.

As FIL made them they are quite thick so plenty of gold in them to stretch them a bit.

Berwyn

Archived