Padua

RiverRev

Anyone ever gone from Venice to Padua? Is it an easy trip distance wise i.e. can I go and get back in one day? Is it a train/bus/tour?

Also, looking for a pre-cruise hotel that is convenient and not a lot of transportation expense between airport, cruise port and sightseeing.

Cruising HAL in May.

Very easy by train, and definitely a day trip. I went to school for a semester in Padua and we often just went into Venice for the day.

Once you get to Padua, there are taxis at the train station. Just ask for a price up front as they aren't metered (at least they weren't when I lived there.) Once in the main part of town, you can easily walk from St. Anthony's to the market place, and over to the middle of the town (main piazza near the universita)

It's only about 1/2 by train (give or take depending if it is a fast express or a slow regional train). Frequent service with 2 or 3 per hour.

Note that it is Padova in Italian.

A lovely smaller city; well worth a visit.

We did a daytrip from Venice to Padua a few years ago. The train took about 35 minutes, and we then took the local bus through town to our furthest destination, the Basilica of St. Anthony. We had a lovely day visiting the Cathedral of St. Anthony, the Scrovegni Chapel, with the fabulous Giotto frescos, the outdoor marketplace, and the good museum near the Scrovegni Chapel.

Rick Steves' Venice guidebook has excellent information about this daytrip, including bus information within Padua, and I highly recommend you either purchase a copy or get it from your local library.

Anyone ever gone from Venice to Padua? Is it an easy trip distance wise i.e. can I go and get back in one day? Is it a train/bus/tour?
As others have said, it's an easy day trip that you can do on your own by train. From the Venice Santa Lucia station, the faster (and more expensive) trains take 27 minutes, the slower (and less expensive) regional trains take around 50 minutes.

Also, looking for a pre-cruise hotel that is convenient and not a lot of transportation expense between airport, cruise port and sightseeing.
Hotels right in or near Piazzale Roma are a good option. They are close to the train station, as well as to the buses (or cabs) to the airport, and only about three quarters of a mile from the cruise port.

We've always just taken the local bus (1E each) it runs nearly continually from the Airport to the square. Plenty of room for luggage. No transfers or connections (although many stops!)

This is a matter of personal choice and preference. I love public transit and drive the rest of my family crazy with it ... but even I prefer the 3 Euro direct bus vs. the 1 Euro local. Although it might be worth it just once to watch the simultaneous rolling of eyes among the family as I lead them onto the local bus ...

This is a matter of personal choice and preference. I love public transit and drive the rest of my family crazy with it ... but even I prefer the 3 Euro direct bus vs. the 1 Euro local. Although it might be worth it just once to watch the simultaneous rolling of eyes among the family as I lead them onto the local bus ...

We generally spend a few days in Venice before and after so the time really isn't a factor. I kind of like the opportunity to mingle with the locals. The "mainland" Venitians seem to be very nice -- they don't mind me practicing my really-really bad Italian :D.

Archived