Mini bar trouble anyone ?

sebas030

Yeah, we had ....

Were on the Gem in February. The first night they unlocked the door of the minibar, I saw the inventory sheet and I looked in the minibar. There was a box of pringles missing. I got the the front desk right away because I saw somewhere that overcharge had happened before in a critic I read before.

The gentlemen at the desk told me he noted it in my file and I would not be charge for it. I asked for the minibar to be emptied and it was done right away.

But.... I was charged 2.50$ for those pringles on the LAST night of the cruise. I had no time and no intention of contesting this charge on our last morning of the cruise.

Anyone had that problem. It is not a question of 2.50$, but if they do it a few hundreds of time per cruise ....

You are not the only person to have this experience. The mini bars are likely another cash cow for the line, but many people, myself included, ask that they be emptied promptly upon entering the room. And of course it never hurts to check your on board expense sheet along the way either, but if they do it on the last day, you are sure apt to miss it.

I had a similar problem 2 years ago with red bull. I brought my own, put a few in the mini bar, and was charged for them on the last night of the cruise even though I had left the 2 original cans in the fridge. I complained, but they were still left on my bill. This year, the cabin steward came to introduce himself, and I asked him to empty out the fridge. He came back a minute later with a big bag, took everything, and I gave him a few bucks. Was easy, then I got to use the whole fridge.

This happened to us once, too. Luckily, we always get a copy of our on-board charges a couple of times during the cruise and caught it early enough to have the charge removed. They took it off our bill with a single call to the front desk. :)

I do like the idea of having the refrigerator emptied right away. Thanks for the tip!

Debbie

Archived