Grand Princess

Jo and Rob

There's speculation that the Grand will be going into dry dock next year and possibly be fitted with an International Cafe. Let's keep our fingers crossed! I wouldn't cross the Grand out though just because it doesn't have IC, it's still a very nice ship.

I know what you mean, it is certainly a nice feature having the Cafe. I've sailed several times now with one and love having the coffee bar to visit in the mornings. The other areas are nice too, we went to Vines a couple of times on our last two cruises and loved it.

I have been on the Grand twice now. The ship is in very good condition for her age. Our stateroom had some bubbles in the carpet from age, some of the decor is dated, draining issues in the bathroom, and there was quite a bit of hammering from workers who are keeping her repaired and floating and varnish smell all the time from the deck (they were working on all the railing). The ship sailed nice and smooth. So, if a modern ship is important to you, then maybe look for a newer ship, but I thought it was just fine. I did miss the International Cafe, though. The waiter said the dinning room was going to be redone during the dry dock (dinning room wasn't bad, just old-sytle decor). I also heard the International Cafe was going to be added. In my experience, Princess always keeps her ships clean, so unless modern decor is important to you, enjoy the Grand. I did have really poor service in the dinning room, but that may have (hopefully) just have been a rarity.

We have been on the Grand twice around the med. Love the ship! Although she is the sister ship to the Star (which we went on in the Craibbean), I found the Grand was completely different in atmosphere. She is showing signs of wear on the balconies - signs of rust and general wear and tear which didn't look particulary nice on the balcony, but the rest of the ship was good. We forgave her this "balcony ugliness" though, as it was made up for in the general good feel of the ship, great staff, nice food and a wonderful cruise. She didn't have an International Cafe and as we hadn't experienced this on a ship, you don't miss what you haven't had, so can't say if you would be disappointed by this not being available. If they tidy her up a bit she will be even better. Enjoy your cruise.

We've sailed the Grand Princess many times (see signature) and are happy to be sailing on her again next month.

The exterior issues and maintenance are common to all ships, and we haven't been on a ship where there isn't some varnishing, painting, etc. going on - even the Emerald Princess in her inaugural year.

We were on the Star Princess (Grand Princess sister ship) I think the only thing we really missed was the Cafe Caribe. Everything else was, well, Grand !

Every ship we have sailed on has had painting and varnishing going on constantly. It not a problem.

I was on Crown last year too and loved Vines but I am sure there will be other places on Grand to experience. We are on Grand in August in the Med. I am counting the days. :)

Jo and Rob,

Loved your "Live from" on the last cruise. Look forward to the next.

Hi There,

The Grand has less folk on board so more space, it has the covered pool great area at night or if weather not good, Sky Walkers up high at the rear of the ship great look out point, and quite as it is harder to get to.

While I like the Crown I like the Grand more.

yours shogun

We got off the Grand in February and found it very disappointing.

We were in a PH and the room was in very bad condition. The carpets were soiled, the balcony furniture was also lacking. The mattress on one side of the bed was sinking in the middle. To name a few issues. We found the staff to be pretty lousy regarding our stateroom issues. We had 2 calls in to fix the ac unit. They hemmed and hawed about replacing the matterss. It finally happened but it was a chore. Our room steward kept getting things wrong. We were on the ship for 14 days and you would think a room steward in a PH would be a little bit more attentive but it wasn't so.

We missed Club Fusion. There is a coffee bar which worked fine if you weren't looking for lunch sandwiches and pastries. I did like having the sports bar which they don't have on the Crown/Emerald.

We did make the issues known to their head office and we received $950 towards our next cruise. That was a wonderful ending to a disappointing cruise.

Hi Caber

At night not a problem as the moving walkway does not give you a feeling of height during the day is another issue.

When in skywalkers do not sit at the window seats with nothing below long long way down

yours Shogun

Haven't sailed on the Crown, but have been on the Grand 3 times. It is my DH favourite ship (It was also his first). We like the size of it. the forward pool and sauna area, the rear outdoor part of the buffet and the promenade deck are our favourite areas

Thanks shogun,

I didn`t realise the walkway moved.:eek:

We will just have to blindfold her if there is a problem. We will keep her away from the window seats.:)

It's like the kind of moving sidewalk you see at airports. Me, I'm petrified of heights. Really, seriously, as in won't even stand on a chair to get something down from a cupboard!, and I had no trouble going to Skywalkers both day and night. It's not really scary at all on the walkway; there's a very substantial feeling to it, so you don't feel in any way like you're out on a narrow ledge or anything.

I, too, so enjoyed your "live from" posts on your recent cruise. So glad that you are considering another Princess cruise. I agree with Kywildcatfanone; the Grand is our favorite ship. We sailed the Grand in January and enjoyed that cruise every bit as much as we did when we took our very first cruise, on the Grand, in 1999 when she was relatively new. The fact that she carries 500 fewer passengers than some of the other grand class ships really gives it a much less crowded feel. The service was excellent, in our opinion, and the ship seemed to be in good condition for her age. I'm sure the addition of an International Cafe and any other improvements made during drydock will make cruising in her that much better. Good luck with your decision!

Archived