? about making your flight home

Moomduck1

Hi,

This is our first cruise. We are on the Zaadam going to Alaska in June. We have to get a flight home the same day that we dock. Will there be a problem making our flight home? We are supposed to dock at 7am. We are cruising out of Seattle and flying out of SEA. Our flight is the last one of the day, at 1225 or something like that. Will that be ok? Could I have booked an earlier flight at 11 or 1130 and still been ok? Thanks in advance!

Hi,

This is our first cruise. We are on the Zaadam going to Alaska in June. We have to get a flight home the same day that we dock. Will there be a problem making our flight home? We are supposed to dock at 7am. We are cruising out of Seattle and flying out of SEA. Our flight is the last one of the day, at 1225 or something like that. Will that be ok? Could I have booked an earlier flight at 11 or 1130 and still been ok? Thanks in advance!

You didn't mention about the day of the week that you will be disembarking the Zaandam. That will make a difference in your travel time to Sea-Tac. However, in any case, a 12:25 flight SHOULD be ok. We have sailed from Seattle the past 4 years and have not had any problems catching flights that left around the noon hour.

Once aboard, see if you qualify for the Signature Express Baggage service and request an early disembarkation time (8:00 - 8:30 AM) and you should be fine.

Have you booked transfers with HAL? If not, there are many options getting from the pier to the airport. Look into Seattle Express, and there is now the light rail that runs from downtown to Sea-Tac. Taxis are always available and will run $35 +.

Hi,

Your flight out of Sea Tac is perfect. You should have no problems making it. I would not try to make it earlier.

Once aboard, see if you qualify for the Signature Express Baggage service and request an early disembarkation time (8:00 - 8:30 AM) and you should be fine.

Have you booked transfers with HAL? If not, there are many options getting from the pier to the airport. Look into Seattle Express, and there is now the light rail that runs from downtown to Sea-Tac. Taxis are always available and will run $35 +.

I will look into the Signature Express, thank you. We have not booked transfers with HAL. I don't know what to do about that. Is it better to book transfers? I'm not even sure what that is, to be honest.

We are arriving a few days early to Seattle to see the town a bit before we set out on the cruise. We were just going to take a taxi from our hotel to the pier. As for going home, I am still trying to figure that out and would love suggestions.

It's a Friday morning that we'll be arriving back into Seattle. As for cost, we are not loaded with extra money but I'm not trying to cut costs either. We'd like to make our flight without worrying but we don't want to hire a limo and pay a fortune either. thanks!

I will look into the Signature Express, thank you.
The former Signature Express is now being called Luggage Direct.
Is it better to book transfers? I'm not even sure what that is, to be honest.
It's a HAL bus, and usually not the cheapest/best way to get to the airport IMO. Often the price per person is about equal to what a taxi for two will cost. Not sure about exact prices in Seattle, though.

I'm sure someone will be along soon who will give you specific prices!

I am booked on the Rotterdam out of Seattle and I booked a flight at 12:25 to Chicago Midway. I think you should be okey as long as someone who needs to go through imigration does not think the rules apply to them. In that case, no one gets off until they show up. It does not normally happen.

Luggage direct is an extra cost program you purchase while on-board your ship (i.e. during the cruise). If you choose to do this, HAL will have someone do advanced check-in for your flight home, then bring your board passes and airline luggage tags to your cabin on the last full day of the cruise. The next day, after you disembark and go through customs, HAL's contractor (BAGs -- they work for other cruise lines and Walt Disney World as well) will collect your luggage, bring it to Sea-Tac airport, send it through security, and deliver it to your airline. The major advantages of this service is that you turn over your checked bags at the pier and don't have to deal with them at the airport, plus you don't have to stand in line at Sea-Tac to get your boarding pass. In addition to the fee HAL charges, you will also be charged any checked bag fees changed by your airline of choice. NOTE: this service only provides transportation for your checked bags, and not any people. Here is some information from the HAL web site:

• Cost is $19 per person at all ports [plus airline baggage fees]
  • Airline assessed baggage fees will be applied to guests' onboard account - fees vary by airline and all pricing is communicated directly from the airline to our partner company, BAGS, Inc. These fees are collected onboard and are then distributed to the airlines.
  • Guests are able to check no more than 2 pieces of luggage per person.
  • Upgrade Requests, Seat Assignment Requests, and Flight Changes cannot be accommodated onboard.
  • There are restrictions established for each homeport city.
  • Restrictions include: participating airlines, earliest and latest flight times, and citizenship requirements.
  • All flights must be Domestic (inclusive of U.S. Territories).
  • In Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada all flights must be bound for the U.S.

HAL transfers are extra cost bus transfers from the pier to the local airport. They usually can be purchased in advance or on the ship from the shore excursion office. This bus ride is either just for you or for you and your luggage. I have heard, but don't know for sure, that at Sea-Tac, all passengers are dropped off at a single group/tour area at the far north side of the airport. This isn't too bad if you are flying Alaska, but is bad if you are flying Delta (based on the location of their check-in counters). Also, HAL usually charges about the same price, per person, as it would cost for a taxi. Thus, in a friendly place like Seattle, I would take a taxi, book a town car service, or maybe a shared van service.

Enjoy your trip!

everyone has given great advice.

Wanted to share a quick story about someone I saw trying to debark the Ryndam on April 11th in Tampa. This woman (and her family) pushed their way to the front of the line of people waiting for the ship to be cleared so everyone could begin debarking.

She was extremely upset and yelling at everyone around because she was going to "miss her 8:45 am flight home because Holland America was so disorganized."

Yeah...there was a bit of eye-rolling and I may have dragged my feet just a little extra - not that you'll ever be able to prove it!

:-)

Archived