Which side of Summit is best for ports?

marc1255boats

PORT side is usually he one which when leaving is the left side.

A few factors do determine which the ship ties up from..

;)

Starboard comes from that old board they used to use the stars for navigation..

Hello,

Does anyone know which side of the ship the Summit docks on? The intinerary includes St. Croix, St. Kitts, Dominica, Grenada, and Tobago. Also does the ship leave from Old San Juan? Thanks

Hello,

Does anyone know which side of the ship the Summit docks on? The intinerary includes St. Croix, St. Kitts, Dominica, Grenada, and Tobago. Also does the ship leave from Old San Juan? Thanks

Why do you want to know? Is it for a particular view? The ship docks and enters and leaves the ports different ways. Sometimes it could be "parked" between two other ships.

When it stops in the middle of an itinerary for a day visit, it ties up right at Old Town. If the cruise starts in San Juan it uses the other pier, further from Old Town.

I was curious because we like our balcony to face the port of call while we're docked. Some cruises seem to always dock on one side for whatever reason.

Do you know how far the other dock is from Old San Jaun if that's where the cruise leaves from. Thanks for the help, Marc

On our san juan trip this past week, Im pretty sure we always docked portside. We were on the left side of the boat and were always facing the port.

We stopped in st maarten, dominica, grenada, tobago, barbados

I was curious because we like our balcony to face the port of call while we're docked. Some cruises seem to always dock on one side for whatever reason.

Do you know how far the other dock is from Old San Jaun if that's where the cruise leaves from. Thanks for the help, Marc

were were docked facing the ports (left-side) all except for one port. BUT, you won't always get a nice view of the port. We witnessed about three times where another ship parked right in front of our lovely view. Although, it was kind of fun watching people walk around on the other ships.

The departure dock is the Pan American dock. I'd say it's about a couple miles away via city streets. Here's a link to an aerial map showing the area-- http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

Often, facing the port, depending on your itinerary ISN'T a pretty view. Some of the island piers have a rough industrial look. You'd be happier looking the opposite direction.

And like Adelphi and I said earlier, the ships are often stacked and you get no view other than others siting on their balconies having their coffee.;)

I wouldn't give much thought on where the balcony was.

We just returned from the St Maarten, Grenada, Tobago, Dominica, Barbadoes trip and we had a portside balcony( Odd number room). We had a good view everytime we docked except Barbadoes. Barbadoes is a industrial dock so we were glad to have the ocean view.

A Sixth,

Normally, it is the Port Side faces the Pier tied up/\;)

All three of Bermuda's Ports and Black Falcon in Boston, MA it has been always for us.:D

Out of curiosity, which way does the summit berth in Boston and Kings Wharf Bermuda?

100_2136.jpg.ed4f794229588e78a7c9f585d452573b.jpg

The ship leaves from the Pan American Pier...its about a 10 minute

cab ride to Old San Juan.

A Sixth,

Normally, it is the Port Side faces the Pier tied up/\;)

All three of Bermuda's Ports and Black Falcon in Boston, MA it has been always for us.:D

Interesting. We took a port side cabin so we could watch the US East coast slide by as we sailed at night from NJ to RI and onto Boston....

The only disadvantage of being on the dock side when berthed is IT IS NOISEY! Having done a few B2Bs out of San Juan if you want to sleep in a bit, being in dockside cabin at the turn-around port makes it impossible for a lighter-sleeper like me. :p

Out of curiosity, which way does the summit berth in Boston and Kings Wharf Bermuda?

On Royal Caribbean last year we were starboard at King's Wharf. I also have a map of the King's Wharf and it shows 2 ships berthed - both with the starboard side facing the dock.

I have been told it is all up to the captain and the authorities!

I usually book passages in Port Side Cabins on cruises.:cool:

Leaving New Jersey going up Long Island, NY is a nice viewing too. Coming into to Newport IMHO is much better than Boston Harbor and the Bay area..

Bermuda is always wonderful and Tides are so important in navigating in there. Wait till you see the Town Cut which is rather narrow and shallow..

Do you have sleep apnea?

Or will a few Dark and Stormy's be the answer..:D

hamilton_map_mini.jpgdockyard_small.jpgst.georges_map_mini.jpg

Interesting. We took a port side cabin so we could watch the US East coast slide by as we sailed at night from NJ to RI and onto Boston....

The only disadvantage of being on the dock side when berthed is IT IS NOISEY! Having done a few B2Bs out of San Juan if you want to sleep in a bit, being in dockside cabin at the turn-around port makes it impossible for a lighter-sleeper like me. :p

Archived