Longest cruise day drive

ChuckLL

20 hours. Drove from NH to Gulf Port. I think we drove to Mia once too. That would have been closer to 24.

I know - we were crazy :p

Airfare was $3000 per person to go to Golf Port - we had booked the cruise on Thursday and the ship sailed on Sunday. Total cost of the cruise was $664. So there was no way I was paying $6000 for airfare

Now we always fly in the day before.

What is the longest drive you have taken on the day of the cruise to get to the ship?

Longest one was 7-8 hours.

In my opinion, way too long. We spent the next day recovering. We missed the sail out because we were asleep in the cabin, and actually didn't feel like doing much until the following morning.

We are in Dallas and departing from Galveston - 5.5 hrs. then we also have to pick a pax from the airport who will be arriving there that day (not yet booked). So still contemplating between these choices:

1. start a day early, and stay near the airport.

2. Start early (4/5 am) on the day f the cruise and pick her up from airport.

3. Have her fly to Dallas and then go together as per #2.

The longest one I have experienced thus far was 6 hrs from Las Vegas to San Diego. For my cruise in September on the Carnival Paradise, I have considered driving the entire distance from SLC to LA (10 hrs) in one day but that also means getting up EXTREMELY EARLY and I don't know if I want to do that yet :eek:

On another note:

Anybody know how far from a port (driving) Carnival would consider the maximum before adding another port? Does my question make sense?

Chuck

We live in middle GA and can drive to Port Canaveral, Tampa or Mobile in 6 hrs. Can get to Jacksonville in about 4 hrs. Basically an easy drive to any of the ports, just make sure you have an alternate route in the event of an accident that stops traffic.

First 2 cruises - 7 hours

Upcoming cruise - 12 hours (yup, we are crazy:eek:)

We're leaving a couple of days early and spending it on the beach before our cruise so we can rest up so we can wear ourselves out again on the ship... we really are crazy:D

May not be the longest drive, but it sure was a long day.

Get up at 4:30 to catch a 7:30 flight out of Omaha.

Flight is canceled.

End up flying at 1:30 to Chicago.

Flight from Chicago to Ft. Meyers beach supposed

to leave at 3:30, doesn't leave till 9:30.

Get to Ft. Meyers beach at midnight.

Pull out of rental car place at 1:00 am.

285 mile drive to Port Canveral.

Get in at 4:30 am. (24 hrs of travel)

5 hours sleep, up and on the Dream by 2:30.

Great cruise after that!!

Chuck

We live in middle GA and can drive to Port Canaveral, Tampa or Mobile in 6 hrs. Can get to Jacksonville in about 4 hrs. Basically an easy drive to any of the ports, just make sure you have an alternate route in the event of an accident that stops traffic.

If you're 4 hrs from Jax I'm east of you. I can make it there in about 1 to 1.5 hrs. Driving to Jax on cruise day has never really scared me. I'm a bit leery of trying Tampa, but with the economy like it is I'd rather take the money that I would spend on a hotel and use it during the cruise.

I think I might be getting cheap in my young age.

Let me give you some insight on what's happening. We've been on 7 cruises. It was our yearly vacation; however, last year we didn't go because the economy was so bad. I'm self-employed and things have been tight.

I had been thinking about a cruise this year but was still cautious about doing so because things haven't picked up very much. Things have been hectic though. Especially the last few weeks.

Today was my bday so I decided I would take off and relax Wed., Thurs, & Friday. Instead I worked all day Wednesday, and I'm booked to work all day Friday. As I sat at the desk working today I decided to take the plunge and booked for May 9 on the Legend. I've cruised the Legend before (and liked it) but would have rather tried a new ship, but the Legend was the best deal.

So here I sit wishing May 9 would hurry and get here while debating driving down the day of or the day before.

By the way, I actually avoided CC all of last year because you people make me want to go on a cruise too much.

Archived