Anyone affected by the volcano?

Don't be too sure about travel insurances either, a lot here in Europe have already said that since it is an "act of God", which is excluded in their Terms and Conditions, they are not going to pay out.

Let's face it people: this is such a big problem (which could go on for weeks if not months) that the airlines, cruise companies, hotels, travel insurances etc are just all going to go bankcrupt if they have to give everybody a refund or rebooking. The European airlines alone lost in excess of 100 million Euro (=135 million $) in one day. They don't have any money as it is after the rock-bottom crisis year 2009. In the end we might all end up paying for ourselves.

I think RCCL has a deal with the airlines which makes them responsible to get the cruise passengers to the port on time. That is why they are so generous for cruise air passengers....

Many times I have read where people say the cruise line airfare is high, they can book cheaper themselves. I wonder if part of that cost is flight insurance built into the price of the ticket.

Many times I have read where people say the cruise line airfare is high, they can book cheaper themselves. I wonder if part of that cost is flight insurance built into the price of the ticket.

I´m sure it is - at least sort of. I don´t know if there´s some insurance company involved, but for sure the cruise lines know how much extra cost there is on average with the air/sea packages in case of problems and they will build that into the price. In addition they have to make a profit as well because that´s what they are in the business for.

I feel bad for any of you that cannot make your cruise. However I agree with madforcruising. The cruiseline should only be required to refund the cruise only bookings if the ship is not sailing. When you book, you give them your home address, you could be staying in another country or state for a month, they don't know where you are coming from to get on the boat.

:(Yes, I am affected by the volcano in Iceland. My husband and I are scheduled to be on the Oasis of the Seas beginning this Saturday, but he is stuck in Germany.

Here is what Royal Caribbean is currently telling me.

1. RCCL has not decided how they officially plan to respond to the volcano and I should keep checking the website for their response

2. As of now (pre-response), if we cancel our trip, all we get back is $173.16 out of the thousands we spent

What has Royal Caribbean told others in the same situation?

Is there anything I can do?

All of the UK folks on our cruise had to cancel since nothing is flying out of England today. RC has been very gracious to them, offering future cruise credits, or refunds in some cases.

I would not CANCEL outright because then you are liable for your own portion of the cruise payments. Personally I'd reschedule for next month. Southampton's cruise prices for next week have gone through the roof.

Best of luck for a speedy resolution to your issues.

All of the UK folks on our cruise had to cancel since nothing is flying out of England today. RC has been very gracious to them, offering future cruise credits, or refunds in some cases.

I would not CANCEL outright because then you are liable for your own portion of the cruise payments. Personally I'd reschedule for next month. Southampton's cruise prices for next week have gone through the roof.

Best of luck for a speedy resolution to your issues.

I would have expected the prices to go down, since so many cruisers won't be able to fly into port! Or maybe, the offered such a steep discount to those already on the ship from this week to stay for another week.

Most travel insurance doesn't cover acts of god...

Many policies treat this the same way as a blizzard or other type of similar "act of god" events. While it is not directly covered it is covered by the trip delay and interruption portion of the policy.

My DIL's mother is stuck in Holland. Was there on business and now cannot leave. She has reserved her room at the hotel thru Monday, just in case, but she says they have tripled the rate. I am sorry, but that SUCKS!! and I don't even like that word!!

that is just awful , the hotel should be ashamed of themselves.

Mechcc,

I would agree with you if RCCL was simply allowing those that booked air to meet up with the ship at the next port. But that is not what they are doing. This is what they are doing:

They are giving these people a full refund of BOTH airfare and the cruise cost (or allowing them to choose a new sailing date and then pay the difference between the cost for their original sailing date and the new sailing date).

If they can find a way to refund or rebook the cruise cost for passengers that booked both air and cruise, then why can't they find a way to refund or rebook cruise cost if you just booked a cruise?

I'm not saying that RCCL should eat the cost. I'm saying that they have chosen to eat the cost for some passengers and not others and that decision is in poor taste.

I agree. This is a situation that is beyond anyone's control, including cruise-only passengers.

I´m sure it is - at least sort of. I don´t know if there´s some insurance company involved, but for sure the cruise lines know how much extra cost there is on average with the air/sea packages in case of problems and they will build that into the price. In addition they have to make a profit as well because that´s what they are in the business for.

RCI is entitled to a profit, but anyone who has investigated booking a flight on their own versus booking thru RCI knows that there is an OUTRAGEOUS amount of overhead built in.

For example, DW and I flew roundtrip to San Juan from Newark NJ in January for $256 r/t on Continental when booking thru one of the online booking agencies. RCI quoted us a price of over $700 p/p. Talk about sticker shock. How can they justify that? And then they wouldn't guarantee us a non-stop flight!

While I feel bad for the folks missing their cruises...those who did not get insurance to cover the delays etc...or missed sailing, it is not really the place of RCCL to pay back the lost cruise fare as they then have to eat it in the shorts for traveler decision to either not get insurance or in the case of Europeans coming to the USA not book the air combo. There is no reason RCCL should loose hundereds of thousands in revenue because of traveler choices.

Glad some were able to choose other cruises in Europe where they can drive or take a train to the port, where they can still enjoy some vacation time.

RCI is entitled to a profit, but anyone who has investigated booking a flight on their own versus booking thru RCI knows that there is an OUTRAGEOUS amount of overhead built in.

For example, DW and I flew roundtrip to San Juan from Newark NJ in January for $256 r/t on Continental when booking thru one of the online booking agencies. RCI quoted us a price of over $700 p/p. Talk about sticker shock. How can they justify that? And then they wouldn't guarantee us a non-stop flight!

I agree with you about the sticker shock, I just don´t see a "but" in there.

RCI doesn´t have to justify it. It´s a free market, they offer a product, they set a price and you / I / the consumer in general is free to make the decision of taking them up to the offer or not. Nobody is forced to buy airfare from them and I haven´t done so in years, others however do and obviously at the high price RCI is charging them. Their choice.

I would agree with you if RCCL was simply allowing those that booked air to meet up with the ship at the next port. But that is not what they are doing. This is what they are doing:

They are giving these people a full refund of BOTH airfare and the cruise cost (or allowing them to choose a new sailing date and then pay the difference between the cost for their original sailing date and the new sailing date).

I feel bad for your situation, and others who are also in the same situation. However, the reality of it is that if you decide to book your own way to the ship, they are not responsible for covering your cruise cost if you don't make it. That is something you agreed to when you made that decision. You also had the option of buying cruise insurance. I'm not flaming you, but just being real.

Every winter, flights get canceled in our northern states due to bad weather and people miss their cruises. It's practically the same scenario, and the same holds true for them.

Dear friends:

Many of you are taking a standpoint based on U.S. practices and laws. However, just to make it clear, there is a huge difference for passengers who purchased their cruise and air here in an EU travel agency.

Whether it is fair or not for the cruiselines to absorb losses is a matter of subjective argument, but there are laws here they have to follow, which is probably why we pay higher prices here in Europe than you do in the United States.

Here in the European Union, if you booked your cruise arrangements with RCCL Europe or an EU travel agency:

1. If you purchased air and sea with RCCL Europe or an EU travel agency and you cannot get to the ship because of the flight cancellations, you have the option of re-booking OR a 100% refund. Although RCCL is trying to say on its website that it will give you a 100% cruise credit certificate for future use, the law protects you against this and they must refund you in cash if you so request.

2. If you purchased cruise only RCCL but combined it with air and purchasd both of these items at an EU travel agency, you are also entitled to re-book both air and cruise OR a 100% refund. Yes, maybe it is not fair for RCCL to have to refund in this case, but this case falls under the EU Package Tour Directive and individual member state laws which must provide the same or better protection. The travel agency, the cruise line and the airlines are all jointly and severally liable in this case. The travel agency has a bond or insurance policy to cover this situation and the insurer will sort things out among all parties as to who has to pay what -- but as far as the consumer is concerned, you will get your refund directly from the travel agency. The agency may not be quick to offer this consumer protection, so make sure you insist on your legal rights.

3. If you purchased cruise only with RCCL Europe (with them directly or through an EU travel agency) but you purchased your air yourself from a totally different Internet portal or directly with the airline, here it is slightly unclear if you have legal protection under the Package Tour Directive.

Lesson to be learned for us Europeans -- purchase air/cruise or at least purchase everything at the same EU Travel Agency to guarantee your protection.

4. EU legislation on passenger rights regarding air cancellation:

If your flight is cancelled and you are in-transit (i.e. not at your city of residence), the airline MUST provide you with hotel accommodation, re-routing on another flight, meals, two telephone calls, e-mails or faxes.

Or if you prefer, you are entitled to a 100% refund on the unused portions of your ticket.

The only thing you are not entitled to because in this case we are dealing with an Act of God is additional compensation for damages, to which you would be entitled if it were the airline's fault, overbooking, etc.

Perhaps it doesn't seem fair that even with an Act of God an airline must be made to pay for these things, but here the law clearly states that you are still entitled to all of this protection except for additional compensation with dealing with an Act of God or exceptional circumstances.

This was all negotiated with the airlines and is built into the taxes charged in our tickets.

So all of you folks that show up at the airport for these cancelled flights and are not in your home city, stick to your rights and ask for hotel accommodation, re-routing, meals, telephone calls, etc. The airlines here in Europe are quite aware of these laws even though they might not be quick to offer everything to which you are entitled.

I hope this explanation helps.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Bad situation for all concerned:( but has anybody that is slamming the way RCCL is handling it looked at the Carnival, and other boards to see how those lines handle it...seems they are all doing the same thing.

Personally, if you don't receive what you paid for through no fault of your own, I agree you should be given a refund or voucher for future cruise/air....that's just the cost of doing business.

Someone from Europe over on the NCL board is reporting Scandinavian Air has just laid off 2500 employees due to lack of funds primarily brought about from this ash. They were just beginning to recover from the economic crisis and now this....you are going to see big trouble for every airline servicing UK and Europe as a result of this. The cruise lines maybe not so much as they will be the only means of traveling the pond:cool: I can even see some cruises being canceled altogether, much cheaper to stay in port than cruise with no passengers. I keep thinking of the ash clouds down through history like the one that affected the 'Year without a summer'. This could affect much more than just travel. Try food for instance!:eek:

:(Yes, I am affected by the volcano in Iceland. My husband and I are scheduled to be on the Oasis of the Seas beginning this Saturday, but he is stuck in Germany.

Here is what Royal Caribbean is currently telling me.

1. RCCL has not decided how they officially plan to respond to the volcano and I should keep checking the website for their response

2. As of now (pre-response), if we cancel our trip, all we get back is $173.16 out of the thousands we spent

What has Royal Caribbean told others in the same situation?

Is there anything I can do?

How is it Royal Caribbean's fault? Why should they compensate you for something that's not their fault?

Personally, if you don't receive what you paid for through no fault of your own, I agree you should be given a refund or voucher for future cruise/air....that's just the cost of doing business.

If you don't board the ship due to no fault of the cruise line, why should they compensate you?

There are consumer fraud laws that apply here. If you don't get what you paid for through no fault of your own, usually the manufacturer or service provider can be sued, reported to the government agency of consumer affairs, etc.

I am in total sympathy with RCCL though. It's just a matter of my sense of fair play. We purchase insurance now, just insured our Alaska cruise next year, but if they do not cover this incident that's a shame for cruisers.

As a previous post suggested.

If you check all mayor cruiselines boards postings, this is not just how royal is handling it but how all cruises are handling it!

I'm just saying don't just say Royal lost me as a customer then go running to another cruise line that did exactly the same thing!!

There are consumer fraud laws that apply here. If you don't get what you paid for through no fault of your own, usually the manufacturer or service provider can be sued, reported to the government agency of consumer affairs, etc.

I am in total sympathy with RCCL though. It's just a matter of my sense of fair play. We purchase insurance now, just insured our Alaska cruise next year, but if they do not cover this incident that's a shame for cruisers.

It's not fraud. The ship cabins are perishable assets that the cruiseline cannot recover once they go empty. What's different about this situation is that there is no physical way for the passengers to get to the ship.

Personally, I feel they should allow passengers to rebook for a future cruise. That way the cruiseline gets to hang onto your $ a little longer, you don't lose out on your vacation, and hopefully the empty rooms can be sold as upgrades.

I also think that people won't sit still if RC says "Too bad, so sad, buh-bye"

If that happens you can be sure letters will be flying.

It's not fraud. The ship cabins are perishable assets that the cruiseline cannot recover once they go empty. What's different about this situation is that there is no physical way for the passengers to get to the ship.

Personally, I feel they should allow passengers to rebook for a future cruise. That way the cruiseline gets to hang onto your $ a little longer, you don't lose out on your vacation, and hopefully the empty rooms can be sold as upgrades.

I also think that people won't sit still if RC says "Too bad, so sad, buh-bye"

If that happens you can be sure letters will be flying.

We were on a B2B out of Venice 17 Apr, have rebooked flights twice only to have them cancelled, could not therefore get to first leg of cruise. Hotel in Venice will not refund or transfer booking.

RCI will only refund or give cruise credits if booking was through RCI.

Insurers will not pay up (act of God) and travel agent protection give the same reason. Still concerned about second leg of B2B regarding flights and accomadation. Can anyone expand on EU legislation regarding cruise only element booked through EU Travel Agent.

Fraud? You not showing up, due to no fault of the cruise line? Had you shown up, they would have taken you on your cruise.

OK people, this volcano really sucks, it's costing a lot of people a lot of money missing cruises,flights,etc; but how exactly is it RCCL's fault?

Archived