Anyone affected by the volcano?

We're on the Ruby Princess TA sailing on Monday. Post cruise we are going to spend 4 days in London. We're very concerned, but we figure if we have to get stuck somewhere London is a good place to be. At this point if we cancelled we'd lose the whole fare because we can get to FLL.

Sadly, the UK passengers on this trip will not be able to get to Florida. One couple who are on CC flew in on Wednesday so they were very lucky.

So are you saying that planes are still flying out of Florida, but if the European airports are closed, where are these planes landing?????

So are you saying that planes are still flying out of Florida, but if the European airports are closed, where are these planes landing?????

I think he means US travel within our country is working. Fritz lives in Ohio, so he can get to FL.

We are booked for June out of England. Our final payment is made and we booked free air with miles. If the cruiselines are going to keep your money if you didn't book their air we will cancel at 30 days out and lose our deposit but not risk the full fare loss.

The cruiseline companies may keep the money of the near term cruiseonly passengers but will soon be flooded with cancellations on the 30 day out cruises.

Not their fault but they need a better policy to handle it.

This was just posted on the Oasis board by a passenger.

We are on Oasis right now and should have set sail already, but we are waiting for several late arrivals from Europe. I am glad that the Captain is waiting for them and waiting a few hours while already on this great ship is certainly not a punishment. After all, we had problems at the airport and almost got rebooked to arrive into FLL at 6:30 pm tonight!

We are booked for June out of England. Our final payment is made and we booked free air with miles. If the cruiselines are going to keep your money if you didn't book their air we will cancel at 30 days out and lose our deposit but not risk the full fare loss.

The cruiseline companies may keep the money of the near term cruiseonly passengers but will soon be flooded with cancellations on the 30 day out cruises.

You're right about future cancellations. Passengers will be watching to see what RCCL does right now. This will definitely affect how passengers view RCCL.

How ironic...just when more sailings are scheduled out of Europe a volcano decides to erupt preventing air travel in many places!

MARAPRINCE

Yes I have missed my cruise but I feel more sorry for the people not being able to get home and it looks like things are getting worse and not better. So how long do you think people will be stuck in other countries for and how much its going to cost the cruise industry.

I'm so sorry about your cruise. Not cruise related, but my brother and my nephew are at St. Andrew's in Scotland on a 'trip of a lifetime'...and were to fly home tomorrow- obviously not going to happen. My nephew is a golf teaching pro so I guess this will just give him more experience in the golf world to talk about! It's scary not knowing when they will get back home. :( And I don't know about the cruiselines, but I read that the airline industry is losing $200 million a day with the volcano issue.

I feel for you, but I disagree. The cruise lines operate on something like a 10% overall profit margin, and they can't afford to take on the liability of refunding thousands of passengers because of a situation out of their control. That is one of the reasons travel insurance exists, although a lot of insurance policies will likely not cover this, either.

I am in a similar situation - supposed to leave dublin for a NCL cruise out of NY today (18th ). Booked my flights independent of the cruise because they couldn't process my flight / cruise hol as I was taking my two grandchildren on the cruise and as they live in Central NY? Spoke to NCL and they told me that the clients who booked flights with them would be refunded/rebooked but not those who booked cruise only. I have written to NCL and thrown myself on their mercy - waiting to see if I get a reply! This really sucks but better safe than sorry.

I feel for you, but I disagree. The cruise lines operate on something like a 10% overall profit margin, and they can't afford to take on the liability of refunding thousands of passengers because of a situation out of their control. That is one of the reasons travel insurance exists, although a lot of insurance policies will likely not cover this, either.

I totally agree.

Summer of 2001 I booked a transatlantic from Barcelona to Ft.Lauderdale. It was scheduled for 9/22. We all know what happened on 9/11. All the airports were shut down for few days, then FAA started to open domestic flights and finally on the day of my flight from Tampa through Pittsburgh to London on 9/18 I found out FAA started to allow international flights to go out. My booked flight to London on USAir was one of the first to go out. The plane had about 50 people total on that evening. I made it to London, visited with friends and few days later made it to Barcelona for the cruise.

The bad news - about 1/2 of the passengers didn't make it, for whatever reason.

The good news - I got upgraded, for free, from a regular balcony stateroom to a wonderful 2 room, huge balcony corner aft stateroom.

The point I'm trying to make is this. Would I blame Celebrity for something they had no control over? No! I took a chance declining their air option and insurance. Bad thing happened and if I wasn't able to get to the ship I would have seen my money sail away. It would have been "my bad", not the cruise lines.

Simple, really....

Thank you to my friends who thought my last post was informative.

I remember when because of September 11 all the flights all over the world were cancelled and the cruiselines were in the same "boat", so to speak.

The same thing happened -- the cruiselines posted their jargon on their websites about not being obligated to provide refunds, but giving you an opportunity to re-book or getting a certificate for a future cruise.

Because of EU laws, while the cruiselines were playing this game to the Americans, the Europeans got refunds no questions asked.

Most EU courts would agree with the interpretation of the last post on the subject of German laws.

The way of thinking here is that in this type of situation, the passenger is the most vulnerable party involved and is not expected to bear such a loss. That is why EU laws protect the passenger in these situations, whereas the U.S. way of thinking is to try to place the burden on insurance or credit card chargebacks.

That is why EU legislation provides for liability by the airlines, cruiselines and travel agencies.

Please don't hesitate to ask any other questions and I would be glad to respond from the EU perspective.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Well, I guess that's good for the European consumers, but I'm not so sure that the passengers are the most vulnerable. People don't generally go bankrupt because of missing out on a vacation they've already paid for. Airlines, cruiselines and travel agencies could go bankrupt because of having to refund thousands of passengers.

Hope none of them do over this incident, but in general, I do think the travel companies are more vulnerable than the individual vacationers.

This is just a different point of view between Europe and the United States. Here in Europe, the consumer is given the most protection in this respect. That is why we have EU Airline Passenger Rights, the EU Package Travel Directive, etc.

Our strong consumer protection laws is one reason why we are seeing incidents like in Frankfurt airport, where everyone is being given three meals, a bed to sleep and updated information. That's all written into our laws here.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thank you to my friends who thought my last post was informative.

I remember when because of September 11 all the flights all over the world were cancelled and the cruiselines were in the same "boat", so to speak.

The same thing happened -- the cruiselines posted their jargon on their websites about not being obligated to provide refunds, but giving you an opportunity to re-book or getting a certificate for a future cruise.

Because of EU laws, while the cruiselines were playing this game to the Americans, the Europeans got refunds no questions asked.

Most EU courts would agree with the interpretation of the last post on the subject of German laws.

The way of thinking here is that in this type of situation, the passenger is the most vulnerable party involved and is not expected to bear such a loss. That is why EU laws protect the passenger in these situations, whereas the U.S. way of thinking is to try to place the burden on insurance or credit card chargebacks.

That is why EU legislation provides for liability by the airlines, cruiselines and travel agencies.

Please don't hesitate to ask any other questions and I would be glad to respond from the EU perspective.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

So you're saying that if my taxi broke down on the way to Frankfurt airport, Lufthansa would have to give me a refund on a non-refundable flight?

Because that's what we're talking about.

If one bought the cruise line air option and the airline could not deliver the person to the port, then it's understood that the cruise line is responsible for whatever the damages are, but if I only bought a ticket to get me from Barcelona to Florida on a cruise ship and didn't show up in time for boarding then why should the cruise line be responsible?

Please do tell......

There are consumer fraud laws that apply here. If you don't get what you paid for through no fault of your own, usually the manufacturer or service provider can be sued, reported to the government agency of consumer affairs, etc.

I am in total sympathy with RCCL though. It's just a matter of my sense of fair play. We purchase insurance now, just insured our Alaska cruise next year, but if they do not cover this incident that's a shame for cruisers.

I totally disagree with you in that if you can't make it to a cruise because you broke your leg, why should the cruise line refund your money? It wasn't through your own fault you broke your leg.

I know this is a different situation, but you are asking the cruise line to do the same thing. We purchase insurance for every cruise and so should others who feel they are entitled to get their money back. Look at people in the colder climates who can't get out in the winter to make their flights,. Is it the cruise lines fault? If you choose not to purchase insurance, then it's your own fault.

I do understand that you bought insurance for your Alaska cruise, but many others don't feel it's necessary. I see so many times where people feel they are "entitled" for whatever reason. It's not fair to those of us who do buy insurance. JMO.

I totally agree.

Summer of 2001 I booked a transatlantic from Barcelona to Ft.Lauderdale. It was scheduled for 9/22. We all know what happened on 9/11. All the airports were shut down for few days, then FAA started to open domestic flights and finally on the day of my flight from Tampa through Pittsburgh to London on 9/18 I found out FAA started to allow international flights to go out. My booked flight to London on USAir was one of the first to go out. The plane had about 50 people total on that evening. I made it to London, visited with friends and few days later made it to Barcelona for the cruise.

The bad news - about 1/2 of the passengers didn't make it, for whatever reason.

The good news - I got upgraded, for free, from a regular balcony stateroom to a wonderful 2 room, huge balcony corner aft stateroom.

The point I'm trying to make is this. Would I blame Celebrity for something they had no control over? No! I took a chance declining their air option and insurance. Bad thing happened and if I wasn't able to get to the ship I would have seen my money sail away. It would have been "my bad", not the cruise lines.

Simple, really....

Your statement above, just made my point.....those who do not need to fly to board the ship will benefit and the cruise line will offer last minute bookings to fill up the ship.

At least the line should offer the passengers the option of rebooking at a later date so they do not lose their entire cruise fare. This will go a long way to create good will and retain these unfortunate passengers. I am not avocating that the line give them a discount off a future sailing -- merely allowing the passengers affected to rebook for what they have already paid. If the fare is higher, then the additional monies would be paid by the passenger. If it is lower, put the passenger in a cabin category that is equivalent to what was paid. This way everyone wins -- the cruise line by retaining the passenger and selling a cabin on an upcoming cruise and the passenger since they are not losing all their money.

MARAPRINCE

If you purchased two or more elements from the same EU travel agency as part of your trip (one of which must entail at least overnight accommodation), this entails a "Package" as defined by EU legislation.

If your package consists of a transfer to Frankfurt airport, your flight to your cruise and the cruise itself, if any of the elements purchased gets broken down, delayed or cancelled to the point of it being impossible for you to continue your trip (i.e. the flight and the cruise), then yes you will get a refund for your entire trip.

That's how our laws work here in Europe.

Remember, we are not talking of things purchased separately, but rather elements of a trip purchased and organized through the same EU travel agency.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Your statement above, just made my point.....those who do not need to fly to board the ship will benefit and the cruise line will offer last minute bookings to fill up the ship.

At least the line should offer the passengers the option of rebooking at a later date so they do not lose their entire cruise fare. This will go a long way to create good will and retain these unfortunate passengers. I am not avocating that the line give them a discount off a future sailing -- merely allowing the passengers affected to rebook for what they have already paid. If the fare is higher, then the additional monies would be paid by the passenger. If it is lower, put the passenger in a cabin category that is equivalent to what was paid. This way everyone wins -- the cruise line by retaining the passenger and selling a cabin on an upcoming cruise and the passenger since they are not losing all their money.

MARAPRINCE

so, according to your theory, the ship goes out empty, the passengers that were suppose to be on that particular ship get to chose another cruise +/- few $ and the company should have no problem with that?

I hope you can run a succesful business that way.

As I stated earlier, if I bought the WHOLE package, flight and cruise then I expect to be compensated if the trip does not happen as I planned, BUT if I just bought a passage from Barcelona to Florida, and I don't show up on time for the sailing, for whatever reason, I don't expect the cruiseline to have a soft heart and refund my money.... sorry but I didn't make your point. Just the opposite.

so, according to your theory, the ship goes out empty, the passengers that were suppose to be on that particular ship get to chose another cruise +/- few $ and the company should have no problem with that?

I hope you can run a succesful business that way.

As I stated earlier, if I bought the WHOLE package, flight and cruise then I expect to be compensated if the trip does not happen as I planned, BUT if I just bought a passage from Barcelona to Florida, and I don't show up on time for the sailing, for whatever reason, I don't expect the cruiseline to have a soft heart and refund my money.... sorry but I didn't make your point. Just the opposite.

An empty ship brings no profit. The current sailing is a victim of Nature. If the passengers who missed the sailing don't rebook because they are out their entire fare, that's more cabins that will not be sold. I am not talking refund, but being allowed to apply the money paid to a future sailing. RCCL will still have their money. They do it if a ship cannot sail due to mechanical problems.

MARAPRINCE

An empty ship brings no profit. The current sailing is a victim of Nature. If the passengers who missed the sailing don't rebook because they are out their entire fare, that's more cabins that will not be sold. I am not talking refund, but being allowed to apply the money paid to a future sailing. RCCL will still have their money. They do it if a ship cannot sail due to mechanical problems.

MARAPRINCE

which part of "if I can't get to the port on time" you don't understand?

If the ship that I paid for a passage on can't sail, then of course the cruiseline owes me, but if I didn't show up on time for the sailing then please do tell why the cruiseline should have a soft heart and allow me to apply the funds for future sailing?

I totally disagree with you in that if you can't make it to a cruise because you broke your leg, why should the cruise line refund your money? It wasn't through your own fault you broke your leg.

I know this is a different situation, but you are asking the cruise line to do the same thing. We purchase insurance for every cruise and so should others who feel they are entitled to get their money back. Look at people in the colder climates who can't get out in the winter to make their flights,. Is it the cruise lines fault? If you choose not to purchase insurance, then it's your own fault.

I do understand that you bought insurance for your Alaska cruise, but many others don't feel it's necessary. I see so many times where people feel they are "entitled" for whatever reason. It's not fair to those of us who do buy insurance. JMO.

Agree, that is why I purchased insurance. I wasn't sure if the insurance covered a volcano because I didn't discuss that with the agent at the time. I just reviewed the policy and see that it does cover a volcano, hurricane, etc. Glad I did purchase insurance for the cruise and flight. You never know what might happen but I can tell you one thing, I will always purchase insurance in the future when traveling.

which part of "if I can't get to the port on time" you don't understand?

If the ship that I paid for a passage on can't sail, then of course the cruiseline owes me, but if I didn't show up on time for the sailing then please do tell why the cruiseline should have a soft heart and allow me to apply the funds for future sailing?

The cruise line doesn't "have a soft heart"....it is just clever marketing and good customer relations that assures that the passengers stay with them on a future sailing rather than taking their business to a competitor. RCCL is already losing money on the empty cabins on the sailing that is affected because it is impossible that they will be able to sell enough cabins to replace the passengers who can't sail. If the passenger isn't on board, they cannot spend any money. Chances are RCCL will end up giving free upgrades (again less money) so it will free up cheaper cabins that are easier to sell at the last minute but still not have a full ship. RCCL already has the "missing" passengers money that will not be refunded so how is the cruise line losing anything?

MARAPRINCE

Archived