Train rides in Alaska. Skagway?

RonJonesy

First time cruiser (Alaska - late July '10) who's head is hurting from information overload. One of the decisions we thought we'd made was to make sure Skagway was one of our stops so we could take the Yukon train ride. Now we're considering flying into Anchorage and taking a train to either Whittier or Seward.

Q1 - is the Yukon train excursion in Skagway worthy of excluding those cruises that don't stop in Skagway?

Q2 - is the train ride to Whittier or Seward simply a way to get there or does it have any scenic aspects to it?

My wifes mother is traveling with us and likes the idea of riding a train but, due to frailty, doesn't handle sitting for long periods of time very well. Also, she certainly wouldn't want to be jostled a lot. What is the comfort level of these train trips?

Thanks much!

We'll be visiting Skagway on our cruise 5/23-6/1 Carnival/Spirit. My husband and I have booked the Train, so I'll let you know how the ride was. I agree with you about the information overload, but I love to be a well informed traveler and the internet and this website is such a wealth of information.

My daughter and I opted out of the train ride from Skagway up to White Pass because we both have an issue with heights, and couldn't see ourselves being comfortable when the tracks were hanging off the edge of the mountain.

Instead, we took the mini-bus ride that followed the route that the train does, and it was an awesome excursion, with gorgeous scenery. The road and ride were very smooth, and our tourguide/driver was fantastic.

Others who took the trainride also said the scenery was awesome, but we were not sorry for one second that we chose the bus version.

The White Pass and Yukon Route rail trip is the number one excursion in Alaska and IMHO one not to be missed .... even just the trip to the summit. Sit on the left side going up as it is the most scenic and then you flip your seats over andl change sides on the way down. There are the platforms at either end of the cars for photo taking. :)

The train ride from Anchorage to Seward is incredibly senic and you will have a great shot at seeing lots of animals. The train does follow the Highway for part of the time but then goes off on a section that only the train goes.

Its an absolutly beatiful ride and as an Alaskan ive done the ride many times. I think its incredibly worth it.The train ride is incredible and will give you a good sence of how truly remote Alaska is and how vast it is.

Keep in mind that your going to see an amazing and beatiful part of my state but only a tiny fraction of it with just the cruise.

Enjoy my beatiful state,

Adri :)

The White Pass train ride from Skagway is most definitely worth it, although we were blessed with exceptionally bright, clear weather in July 09 when we did it and could see for miles going Up and Down. I am NOT a "heights person" yet it didn't bother me at all and it's perfectly safe anyway. My only gripe was the loud, noisy, screeching train brakes coming back down the mountain which really did spoil the whole experience as it went on for over an hour... It's a fascinating insight into the gold rush days of Alaska and unmissable IMO.

The train in Skagway is aweseome-It leaves right from the dock. When we were there we did a fishing expedition in the AM. When we got back a train was getting ready to leave, so we got tickets for that and we still had time to explore the town before we left. One of the best cruise days ever

We'll be visiting Skagway on our cruise 5/23-6/1 Carnival/Spirit. My husband and I have booked the Train, so I'll let you know how the ride was. I agree with you about the information overload, but I love to be a well informed traveler and the internet and this website is such a wealth of information.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

First time cruiser (Alaska - late July '10) who's head is hurting from information overload. One of the decisions we thought we'd made was to make sure Skagway was one of our stops so we could take the Yukon train ride. Now we're considering flying into Anchorage and taking a train to either Whittier or Seward.

Q1 - is the Yukon train excursion in Skagway worthy of excluding those cruises that don't stop in Skagway?

Q2 - is the train ride to Whittier or Seward simply a way to get there or does it have any scenic aspects to it?

My wifes mother is traveling with us and likes the idea of riding a train but, due to frailty, doesn't handle sitting for long periods of time very well. Also, she certainly wouldn't want to be jostled a lot. What is the comfort level of these train trips?

Thanks much!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have done a similar train ride -- from Anchorage to Seward -- the scenery was beautiful. We were able to get up and move around on the train.

We have also done the White Pass & Yukon Route three times -- loved it!! Again -- you can get up and move around.

Don't miss the White Pass train ride in Skagway!!! It was WONDERFUL. We went in May '08 and we started in the rain and ended up in the snow! Definitely sit on the LEFT side going UP mountain. They do most of the talk about what you're seeing on the way UP the mountain (especially if you're doing the RT from Skagway). It was a comfortable ride and lots of fun. Here's a link to my pix from the trip:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573080341huVdxS?start=84

Start with photo labeled "WP #01 - Mom" (Previous pix are from Mount Roberts Tram and the Photo Safari in Juneau).

Theresa

Thanks much!

Hello!!

Perhaps you will get a lot more responses if you post in the Alaska board (link attached)

Good luck!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

We have done them both, and each was wonderful and beautiful. We flew into Fairbanks and from there, we did the three-day pre cruise excursion in Denali. We then took the train down to Whittier for our embarkation on the Sapphire Princess. It terminated right at the pier, which was just awesome!! The train ride down was beautiful. It was an all-day ride, but very comfortable with cushioned seats, and you are able to get up, move about, and even stand outside on one of the viewing platforms at the end of each car. There are (or were in 2008) snacks and meals and drinks available for purchase on board the train. As an added bonus, we met a couple on the train who have remained as the closest of friends over the past years.

When our cruise arrived in Skagway, we did the White Pass/Yukon Train Ride which I must say was a truly spectacular trip. The train picked us up at the pier, which, again, was so very convenient! We were most fortunate to have a clear, sunny day and we were simply in awe of the scenery. On the train, you will have an assigned rail car and each car has a restroom. The scenery is beyond description. The seats, however, were "bench-type seats" and while fine for us, might not be so for your mother-in-law.

Buses and cars cannot possibly follow the same route as the train does as there are no roads that follow the narrow mountain passages where the train tracks go. The trains will jostle a bit as any train does, so you would have to be the judge of just how much "jostling" your mother-in-law can handle.

If I had to choose one over the other, for me, it would be the White Pass/Yukon, purely for the unparalleled scenery. However, if you are looking for the more comfortable 'ride' - the train down to Whittier has the more comfortable seating.

I wish you the best in your travels and hope that one (or both!) of these wonderful excursions can be included in your travel plans! :)

I'm glad I found this site! Thanks for the great information.

We're now looking at all 7 day cruises from Vancouver to either Whittier or Seward. We feel that if we went the reverse direction, we'd lose the scenery entering Vancouver since the ship arrives at 7am on day 7. Our preference would be to end in Seward but it would seem there are simply more possibilities for Whittier.

I'll pass the info about the bench seats to the MIL and see how she reacts. I believe the Skagway trip to the top is only a couple of hours and I also seem to recall that some of the tours will allow you to ride up on the train and then back down by motorcoach. Maybe that would be the best compromise - especially with the squealing brakes on the way down.

I know there is a lot of debate on port vs starboard but, on a one way trip, wouldn't it make sense to take starboard on the Vancouver north trip since land will always be on the right? I realize the captain will rotate the ship in certain areas but I'm talking about general sailing direction.

Again - thanks to all!

I'm glad I found this site! Thanks for the great information.

We're now looking at all 7 day cruises from Vancouver to either Whittier or Seward. We feel that if we went the reverse direction, we'd lose the scenery entering Vancouver since the ship arrives at 7am on day 7. Our preference would be to end in Seward but it would seem there are simply more possibilities for Whittier.

I'll pass the info about the bench seats to the MIL and see how she reacts. I believe the Skagway trip to the top is only a couple of hours and I also seem to recall that some of the tours will allow you to ride up on the train and then back down by motorcoach. Maybe that would be the best compromise - especially with the squealing brakes on the way down.

I know there is a lot of debate on port vs starboard but, on a one way trip, wouldn't it make sense to take starboard on the Vancouver north trip since land will always be on the right? I realize the captain will rotate the ship in certain areas but I'm talking about general sailing direction.

Again - thanks to all!

Yes - to answer your question, if you take the train 'up' - you will indeed be taking the motor-coach back down to the pier. And the reverse is true as well. I would suggest that you contact the cruise line shore excursion desk to find out whether you will be motor-coaching up and then train back down, or vice versa. We opted for the first excursion of the day which, at the time, was taking the train up and the motor coach back. Since we did this excursion a couple of years ago, I cannot tell you how it is done now.

Since we cruised back Southbound on our first trip, we opted for the port side accommodations. On our second cruise, we did the starboard side, and then we had the port side on our third trip. I cannot tell you that there is any distinct advantage to one side over the other.

Hope all the advice you are getting will help, but I can tell you that Alaska is just an awesome experience, and I cannot imagine that you will have a less than stellar cruise - whatever you decide to do! :)

I agree with the poster who suggested choosing a van tour instead. After researching the question prior to my own inside passage cruise years ago, I quickly realized that I'd see a lot more scenery for less cost by doing this. The first part of the route parallelled the train tracks, then went far beyond where the train stops. Just go online to find a recommended tour outfit in Skagway.

To add to your overload...and welcome to Cruise Critic.

Anchorage is over 1300 miles from Vancouver. For your family's comfort I would highly recommend you consider sailing from Alaska. You should plan on arriving at least one day prior to your cruise. There are a number of stress free things to do in Anchorage.

Whittier and Seward are both serviced by train. Whittier is a little closer.

We used a limo (van) service from Anchorage. The train left too early in the morning. It's a good thing we had arranged this since our hotel curtains did not block out the light from the summer solstice and we were exhausted and still had to meet friends for lunch in Anchorage.

The van picked us up at our hotel and took us to the ship on our schedule. The ride passed many beautiful areas. Not as thrilling as the train ride is reported to be but it was quite nice.

We have taken the train in Skagway on one of our Alaskan cruises. We booked directly with the White Pass Co. but the ship's excursions are just a few dollars more and do pick you up at the ship. The docks are close to the train station but if your mother-in-law has mobility problems definitely book through the ship. Even more enjoyable than the train was an independently booked trip to Emerald Lake across the Canadian border. This was a 6 hour trip and one of the best excursions in over 30 years of cruising.

There is an abundance of information on the Alaska boards.

When you select your cruise be sure to join the Roll Call for your sailing. Cruise Critic posters are a tremendous asset to a successful cruise.

The White Pass train ride from Skagway is most definitely worth it, although we were blessed with exceptionally bright, clear weather in July 09 when we did it and could see for miles going Up and Down. I am NOT a "heights person" yet it didn't bother me at all and it's perfectly safe anyway. My only gripe was the loud, noisy, screeching train brakes coming back down the mountain which really did spoil the whole experience as it went on for over an hour... It's a fascinating insight into the gold rush days of Alaska and unmissable IMO.

We'd heard this comment about the brakes a few months ago so we've booked our train ride through Chilkoot Tours because they offer a train/bus option. We're taking the train up and a motorcoach bus back. That way we not only avoid the problem of screeching brakes on the train back but we also have slightly different scenery on the return trip.

My sister and brother-in-law took the Skagway train and enjoyed it. When my wife and I, and two friends, took a similar cruise, we looked into the train but found it rather expensive. We rented a car, drove over the pass, and all the way to Whitehorse and back. Stopped whenever we wanted. Divided by 4, we saved a lot over the train. The fact that my wife and I had recently taken the famous Durango-Silverton train in Colorado probably factored into our decision. The Skagway train is a relatively short, historic tourist train. The Alaska Railroad train to Denali and Fairbanks is a regular train (there are 2 or 3 classes of cars). We took the bus from Whittier to Anchorage, then the train from there to Denali and on up to Fairbanks. The train was comfortable, and the scenery good, especially from Anchorage to Denali. For someone who has problems sitting for long periods of time, the lengthof the different trips could be an important factor, but since we did not take the Skagway train I can't compare the comfort of the seats.

We also loved the White Pass train journey. Rather then buy the excursion on our cruise we simply walked over to the train station and bought a ticket on the same train for less money.

Hank

Thanks much!

If you are going to Skagway, check the weather forecast before you go. If it is rainy and cloudy you won't see much on the train ride.

Thanks much!

White Pass train for sure! Did this last year while on the Diamond Princess. If you go into Canada, you'll need to bring your passports. Also, we didn't book any excursions through the cruise line. You can do much better just looking up the names and going through local vendors and save $$.

Archived