Independence eating venues and cafes

I would like to know all about the complimentary eating venues and cafes on the Independence. What time they open and close? What do you recommend? What do you think we should avoid? Where can you get free icecream other than the dining room and buffet? Where are the best cookies?

What advice would you give me travelling for the first time on Royal Caribbean? As we only have 3 nights on the Independence we want to know as much as possible so we don't miss out on any gems.

Oliver will be 8 and Emily is 6 so it would be good to know your children's favourites too. Is the children's menu the same every night in the MDR or does it change?

Hello! I just spent 2 weeks on Independence in March, so hopefully I can answer a few of your questions but not all? (This is a good reminder that I guess I better add that ship to my signature file, too ..........)

In addition to the main dining room, complimentary eating venues included the Windjammer buffet and 2 cafes on the Promenade - the Cafe Promenade I think was open 24hrs, and Sorrento's pizza place opened I think about 11:30 for pizza (earlier for pastries) - can't remember closing but probably at least 11pm.

I went to all of them - liked them all for different reasons - liked the sandwiches at the CafeP but absolutely LOVED the cookies at Sorrento's - both the macaroons and almond ones were FANTASTIC. I was worried about not fitting in my work clothes when home, I ate so many! (Walked on deck a lot to compensate?). Enjoyed the Windjammer for breakfast and most lunches - couscous with veggies was my favorite lunch!

For ice cream, only had it in the dining room for dessert - delicious!!! - hopefully someone else can help you with that one, plus kids questions.

Can't say anything to avoid? Don't miss the "Expo" the first afternoon on ship - some great prizes, if you like that sort of thing. Also, even if you don't participate, watch the Flowrider people for a bit - I took some amazing pictures of the grand wipe-outs - these people are very brave - I was glad that no one appeared to be hurt!

A "don't miss" for me is Production Shows - love them all on RCL - favorites are still the ones on Radiance but Independence had some good ones, too, though a short 3 day cruise may not have one - sorry, don't know?

I hope the above helps - and maybe someone else will be able to answer what I missed, plus give you some different opinions. ENJOY INDEPENDENCE - I would love to sail on her again!!! (And take lots of pictures of the kids - holy smokes, they grow up fast.)

I think Sorrento's is open until about 3 a.m., then re-opens sometime mid-morning. It was always closed when I went down to the promenade to get coffee at around 6:30 a.m. on my way to the gym.

The cookies in the promenade cafe are delish! No free ice cream, except at dinner, but we did splurge a couple of times at Ben & Jerry's.

Have fun! I love the Indy (see my sig!). It's a great family ship.

The cookies are delicious all over the ship.

The little sandwiches and filled croissants are yummy in Cafe P. I don't feel that my holiday has started until I have had one of their ham and cheese croissants (followed by just a little cookie...)

Johnny Rockets will be fab for the kids - just don't fill up on the chips and onion rings before your burger arrives. Remember pudding is included in the $4.95 cover charge too.

The kids menu in the dining room is the same every night - but cruises are a good way to get them to try different foods IMO.

Here is a link to the kids menu - #3 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=719031

There is free ice cream by the pools but I think it is free frozen yoghurt ice cream - sure someone will correct me.

The lemonade in the WindJammer is delicious - like old fashioned cloudy yellow lemonade.

You must take your children to Johnny Rockets for burgers and shakes they will love it because all the staff will start dancing and singing :) great for children and adults.

There is a cover charge for JR.... but it's worth it.... the fries are delish. You can also sit outside to eat.

Edit : by the time I got done with trying to find a pic of outdoor seating Albert got there before me!! Lol

Archived