Ice rink

Is it true you are not allowed to skate backwards?

Yes, you have to go round one way (clockwise) and you aren't allowed to do any pirouettes or anything like that - if you're up to it !! Going round clinging on to the side was my limit :)

Is it true that you get access to extra sessions if you bring your own skates? My daughter does not know whether or not to take her skates half way round the world ot- we are from Australia. We are on a 14 night cruise on the Indy with 5 sea days so there should be lots of skating time. Jennie

I have a figure skater, and now I am not sure if I want to drag her skates all over the country if she isn't going to do nothing more than skate in a one-way circle, I thought they had sessions for experienced skaters. I can definitely see the safety issue on a small crowded rink with kids and others doing axles.

Is it true you are not allowed to skate backwards?

I have two hockey players and a figure skater. We didn't bring their skates because didn't want the extra weight in the suitcases. They had to go to the general skate. It's true, no backwards skating, no figure skating moves. They even nicely told my boys to slow down and no hockey stops. If they brought their skates, the could have gone to the advanced skate, but they told me even in that session, no fancy stuff!

My kids said the ship skates hurt. They do have hockey and figure skates. My hockey sons who like cold, hard ice said the ice was really soft and choppy. My figure skating daughter who likes warm rinks, soft ice thought it was perfect!

Yup, it's true....but I did it anyways. I hadn't skated in 16 years and my hubby dared me to skate backwards. Once I got back into my groove of skating forwards and doing crossovers I was flying on the rink and dodging little kids....then I tried backwards (the little kids were oohing and ahhing)....that didn't last long....my balance as an adult sucks!

I didn't get yelled at or anything, but my session was pretty empty (disco night).

Oh, and the skates were BEYOND painful.

Archived