Would you like some cheese with your WHINE?

Yo Eleven

If you purchase a holiday in the Uk (flight and accomodation/cruise) the tour operator has legal repsonsibilities. The Uk tour operators seem to have responded quite well across the board.

RCI have been in the press here because it seems that they have failed in their legal responsibility. Elderly travellers who booked flight and cruise via them in Dubai- were put off the ship at the end of the cruise and left on the quay. RCI said it was up to Emirates airlines - however the legal bods in the press are saying that RCI was the tour provider who sold the package and it is up to them. These are old people who seem to have been badly let down by RCI. They booked and paid in the Uk but RCI dont appear to have taken their legal responsibility seriously. Hotels in Dubai can be $750 a night without food- cheap place to fly to- very expensive place to stay..

I just went to Expedia and tried to book a room in Dubai...

First option was a 5 star property at $197 a night The Meydan Hotel. The second was $75 a night for the Arabian Courtyard and Spa.

gotta love the misplaced anger.

jc:eek:

I just went to Expedia and tried to book a room in Dubai...

First option was a 5 star property at $197 a night The Meydan Hotel. The second was $75 a night for the Arabian Courtyard and Spa.

gotta love the misplaced anger.

jc:eek:

Thats the worldwide recession for you then!!!

The Meydan is the new racetrack hotel- not sure if its fully open yet- I think they call it a soft opening- means builders all around you I think.

Again the CANCEL for any reason should cover EVERYTHING!!!!! I think, but now I wonder!

My office deals with insurance comapnies every day. First and foremost they will do just about anything to collect premiums but they are often not so excited about paying out claims. I could write pages here about their various reasons for denying legitimate claims that eventually they end up paying. They just string you along and hope that you will give up and go away before they pay out.

In your example is is quite likely that the "CANCEL FOR ANY REASON" is in very big type and all of the exceptions to the "any reason" are in very small difficult to read or understand "legal" language.

I'm finding this thread both entertaining and educational

:cj

These are the perfect ingredients for a perfect thread. I am REALLY hoping to learn about someone who files a claim because of the volcano and they purchased cancel for any reason and they get paid for it. If they don't this will suggest that cancel for any reason is nothing more than a SCAM.

How does one go about getting 'cancel for any reason' insurance? I assume this would be very expensive but would also be worth it. You could cancel if you found a much better cruise or deal, you might even be on the same ship.

When purchasing travel insurance, look carefully for a clause regarding a term known as "Force Majeure". Here is a definition I lifted from the 'net.."Force Majeure literally means "greater force". These clauses excuse a party from liability if some unforseen event beyond the control of that party prevents it from performing its obligations under the contract. Typically, force majeure clauses cover natural disasters or other "Acts of God", war, or the failure of third parties--such as suppliers and subcontractors--to perform their obligations to the contracting party. It is important to remember that force majeure clauses are intended to excuse a party only if the failure to perform could not be avoided by the exercise of due care by that party."

If a policy includes said clause, it could be an out in the case of a volcano or other similar event.

How does one go about getting 'cancel for any reason' insurance? I assume this would be very expensive but would also be worth it. You could cancel if you found a much better cruise or deal, you might even be on the same ship.

Do a google search for "cancel for any reason travel insurance" You will find a list of SEVERAL companies that offer this rider in addition to the basic policy. It is cheap. I think we paid an additional nine dollars for each person to have this rider. Chump change considering what you pay for the entire trip.

In other news, look at this person calling out the CEO of RCI! Good grief!!!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1186394&highlight=volcano

:rolleyes:

It is not always a matter of Insurance. Royal Caribbean have shown no customer care for their customers. They abandoned people in a foreign country, when they have the contacts and resources to re-book flights and arrange discounted accomadation.

Non-ship RCI staff just do not care about their customers once they have their money. They are an absolute disgrace, and it is the last time I will use a US Cruise operator.

RCI seem to always quote US law .. we bought our Cruise including flight in the UK and under EU law they should look after us and provide accomadation and assistance with re-booking the flight. The contact ends when the customer is in the UK not off the ship.

RCI are going to face lots of compensation claims when people get back to the Europe.

Also I have learnt that RCI are not giving refunds to people who miss their cruise, and are re-selling the cabins, some times to people who can not get home. RCI have made money from this disaster at the same time as showing little concern for their passengers, this is a disgrace and no one should use their ships in future.

:mad:

I don't know where you think that Cruise Lines/ Airlines have access to discount acconodations? RCL didn't just dump you, your paid for trip was finished and the next set of passangers boarded and sailed. What is it that you want from them. You got what you paid for.

If you purchase a holiday in the Uk (flight and accomodation/cruise) the tour operator has legal repsonsibilities. The Uk tour operators seem to have responded quite well across the board.

RCI have been in the press here because it seems that they have failed in their legal responsibility. Elderly travellers who booked flight and cruise via them in Dubai- were put off the ship at the end of the cruise and left on the quay. RCI said it was up to Emirates airlines - however the legal bods in the press are saying that RCI was the tour provider who sold the package and it is up to them. These are old people who seem to have been badly let down by RCI. They booked and paid in the Uk but RCI dont appear to have taken their legal responsibility seriously. Hotels in Dubai can be $750 a night without food- cheap place to fly to- very expensive place to stay..

These "old paople should know that going in.

I also am finding this thread educational and learning about EU law (even if it is from armchair lawyers it is still pretty close to being correct). I have also learned what to look for in insurance policies.

However, I to am getting tired of the whinning and complaints. From what I have seen on other boards, Royal's policy is not any different than any other cruiseline in the same mass market category.

It's happens pretty much anytime there is a major problem where flights are cancelled but this time it is a whole lot worse as it has lasted a longer time. It happened back in Jan with the major snow storms on the East Coast. The tirades have just become extremely loud and abusive.

If you think that you don't pay for the airlines to accomodate you if you get stranded, think again, I'm sure the cost of that possibility is factored into the price of your airfare. Same way with your free medical care, you do pay for it in your taxes. Nothing is ever free, the cost may be hidden but it is not free.

Now for forced to take insurance for a vacation - thank you very much, but I do not want my Gov't forcing me to take insurance for vacation. It is called the right to choose, guess that's why we declared our independence back in 1776. Now if I was forced to take insurance by my government and the insurance didn't pay up, I would be blaming the insurance company and contacting my government representative, a lawyer, the media and anyone else I could to get reimbursed. But certainly not throwing the blame on the cruiseline who are enforcing their policy.

Now for the allegations that Royal is selling cabins of people not making their flights, well if you do not cancel they cannot sell it. And if you cancel within 3 days of the cruise, they won't be able to resale it as the manifest must be turned into Homeland Security by then.

I don't know where you think that Cruise Lines/ Airlines have access to discount acconodations? RCL didn't just dump you, your paid for trip was finished and the next set of passangers boarded and sailed. What is it that you want from them. You got what you paid for.

Not so. The passengers in Dubai purchased a package- airfare and cruise. EU legislation means that the supplier (RCI) must look after the customer until the package is complete. That means that they have to feed and accomodate the people until the supplier can arrange their safe return. They do not neccessarily have to arrange that food and acomodation (and that is where some operators are being criticised and others praised) but they have to pay for it all.

EU tour operators have been providing this with no upfront costs to passengers. They have found them hotels and paid all the bills and booked flights back. It seems that RCI did not do that but they also did not make it clear to passengers that they would cover all costs (as they are obliged to do) and they did not assist with rebooking flights home (which has been very hard to secure). That is why they have been criticised.

There is also some suggestion (although this is not as clear as its hearsay reported by families that passengers at the dock were told that they were on their own and RCI had no obligations which is not the case)

For example a couple in transit unable to fly on and not due to be in Dubai at all but were stranded there were transfered immediately to a hotel by their Uk tour operator- put up for 6 nights- flights were booked back as soon as available and they did not have to pay a penny out.

:mad:Its nice to see once again you guy's from the USA having some sympathy with people from the UK and nearby countries being stranded or not being able to have a vacation, if it was you in the US, well I believe you would be whining a lot more and court cases, suing the cruisline etc.

Most people would have insurance here but they are not paying up and who would ever have thought making sure it was covered for volcano's, as far as I know this has never happened before, I never even knew the ash from Iceland could even reach the UK.

Its unknown territory, even the government were not sure of what to do for days and yet you expect the normal little person to have thought of such things.

Incredible!!!

Lets see if the US have any problems in the future regarding 'Acts from god' and see how many of you on here whining!!

Oh wait a minute................. you all did when you had snow storms!!

:mad:Its nice to see once again you guy's from the USA having some sympathy with people from the UK

I love how you come in here swinging your fists with a statement that is so false and misleading that it makes Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton/Monica saints. Good grief. If you read the SEVERAL threads about trip cancellations you will find MANY replies from people in the USA expressing their sorrow for the loss of their trip. I am not going to bother linking any posts as there are so many of these. So get a hold of yourself and maybe rethink about what you stated. The problem is with the folks blaming the cruisline for their problems and saying repeatedly that they are evil and will never sail again. Blah blah blah..... It is misdirected anger and this thread is here to discuss it without posting in one particular thread.

Most people would have insurance here but they are not paying up and who would ever have thought making sure it was covered for volcano's, as far as I know this has never happened

If "most" people have this thinking then they are ignorant. That is why there is CANCEL FOR ANY REASON riders on insurance plan. That is exactly what it is for. It covers anything that is not explicitly stated on the policy. Who knows, maybe someone will end up booking a cruise and a week before a meteor smashes into their house with them inside breaking both of their legs. With Cancel for any reason, they are covered. What I think is really going on is people are too cheap to insure their trip. That is what it boils down to. WHY ELSE you not insure your trip that has cost thousands of dollars?

Lets see if the US have any problems in the future regarding 'Acts from god' and see how many of you on here whining!!

Oh wait a minute................. you all did when you had snow storms!!

This ridiculous statement deserves no comment.

GOOD DAY SIR! or ma'am :p

I love how you come in here swinging your fists with a statement that is so false and misleading that it makes Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton/Monica saints. Good grief. If you read the SEVERAL threads about trip cancellations you will find MANY replies from people in the USA expressing their sorrow for the loss of their trip. I am not going to bother linking any posts as there are so many of these. So get a hold of yourself and maybe rethink about what you stated. The problem is with the folks blaming the cruisline for their problems and saying repeatedly that they are evil and will never sail again. Blah blah blah..... It is misdirected anger and this thread is here to discuss it without posting in one particular thread.

If "most" people have this thinking then they are ignorant. That is why there is CANCEL FOR ANY REASON riders on insurance plan. That is exactly what it is for. It covers anything that is not explicitly stated on the policy. Who knows, maybe someone will end up booking a cruise and a week before a meteor smashes into their house with them inside breaking both of their legs. With Cancel for any reason, they are covered. What I think is really going on is people are too cheap to insure their trip. That is what it boils down to. WHY ELSE you not insure your trip that has cost thousands of dollars?

This ridiculous statement deserves no comment.

GOOD DAY SIR! or ma'am :p

And there is a lot of unsympathetic people like yourself too!! Makes me mad when a lot of people are going to lose thousands of there hard earned money and all you say is stop whining. I think they have every good reason to whine. I also think it wouldnt hurt the cruislines to come to some compromise.

And I for one have never heard of cancel for any reason insurance as I am sure many people havent, if you opt for gold full insurance you expect that covers all, I have now heard of it and would make sure I have it but not until now.

So to recap, many of the affected people did buy travel insurance but it wont cover their loss because its and "act of god" , yet still feel the cruise lines are responsible and at fault for passengers losses instead of the insurance company? If ya cant make it, ya cant make it, read the exclusions on the policy, thats why its printed there. Why should 100 people affected by a volcano be treated any differently than 1 person who was inable to make it for any reason? Its business folks, your hard earned money isnt any more important than the cruiselines hard earned money, but everyone thinks they've got deep pockets. Plain and simple, its a business with a plan and without passengers filling cabins theyre losing money, even if they keep your fare.

So to recap, many of the affected people did buy travel insurance but it wont cover their loss because its and "act of god" , yet still feel the cruise lines are at fault for passengers losses?instead of the insurance company? If ya cant make it, ya cant make it. Why should 100 people affected by a volcano be treated any differently than 1 person who was inable to make it for any reason? Its business folks, your hard earned money isnt any more important than the cruiselines hard earned money. The policies are pretty clear up front.

I don't think this is the issue yet. But rather, that they did not purchase ANY travel insurance whatsoever. Even so, one should always purchase travel insurance with cancel for any reason to cover all bases.

And there is a lot of unsympathetic people like yourself too!! Makes me mad when a lot of people are going to lose thousands of there hard earned money and all you say is stop whining. I think they have every good reason to whine. I also think it wouldnt hurt the cruislines to come to some compromise.

And I for one have never heard of cancel for any reason insurance as I am sure many people havent, if you opt for gold full insurance you expect that covers all, I have now heard of it and would make sure I have it but not until now.

Who says I am unsympathetic? Sure I am too sorry for them, but to hear them rant and blame the cruiselines without doing research about travel insurance is ignorant and inapproprate. You should be mad at those that are ignorant, and not those that are EDUCATED. More misdirected anger here I see.

Who says I am unsympathetic? Sure I am too sorry for them, but to hear them rant and blame the cruiselines without doing research about travel insurance is ignorant and inapproprate. You should be mad at those that are ignorant, and not those that are EDUCATED. More misdirected anger here I see.

I would recon that a majority of passengers who took out what we call full insurance would consider that the appropriate insurance, it always has been for most claims in the UK, like I said I have never heard of Cancel for any reason insurance and we have travelled a lot. Maybe we should get a lawyer to go over the insurance before our next vacation:rolleyes:

I dont think so much they are blaming the cruisline for whats happened, they would just like a little support in sorting the whole thing out not being ignored.

Some of you need to see the local news here and see how really some have been treated, some have no money left and are having to beg hotels to feed them and their children, some have put their life savings into the vacation and this was the holiday of a lifetime and to say stop whining is a bit below the belt IMO.

Just think for a moment and out yourself in their position for a while and think how you would react, its normal to rant and rave this people are very angry and dissappointed and some will suffer financial hardship because of this, some are now facing bills of thousands trying to get home or to the destination.

It hasnt affected me one bit but I do sympathise a great deal and would not dream of telling them to stop whining, have some sympathy guy's and try not be too harsh!

Please provide proof of this. It does not seem reasonable a claim was received and a decison made to deny it in such a short period of time. :rolleyes:

Oh my lord! Listen to the news!

People are calling the insurance and they are saying they will not pay out, its on our radio now as we speak, so many people are being refused payment of any kind.

Unless you are in the UK, you are probably not aware of how many this has affected and the whole story.

Archived