Would you like some cheese with your WHINE?

Yo Eleven

Not trying to get in the middle of this but I am trying to educate myself for upcoming trips. Based on Mr. Grace's comments below, it would appear that those with the "cancel for any reason" provisions are only covered if they cancelled their trip at least 48 hours prior to departure. I think that detail is worth taking note of...for those of us taking notes :)

"In addition, you can buy a more expensive travel policy that includes a rider that would generally allow you to cancel a trip for any reason. Such a policy generally costs 6 to 12 percent of the cost of the trip and would, in most cases, allow you to a cancel a trip for a volcano-related reason.

You have to purchase such policies, however, within seven to 14 days of paying for your trip, and you would have to cancel your trip at least 48 hours prior to departure."

:mad:Its nice to see once again you guy's from the USA having some sympathy with people from the UK and nearby countries being stranded or not being able to have a vacation, if it was you in the US, well I believe you would be whining a lot more and court cases, suing the cruisline etc.

Most people would have insurance here but they are not paying up and who would ever have thought making sure it was covered for volcano's, as far as I know this has never happened before, I never even knew the ash from Iceland could even reach the UK.

Its unknown territory, even the government were not sure of what to do for days and yet you expect the normal little person to have thought of such things.

Incredible!!!

Lets see if the US have any problems in the future regarding 'Acts from god' and see how many of you on here whining!!

Oh wait a minute................. you all did when you had snow storms!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Why bother to respond on a post like this. Open foot insert mouth.

And there is a lot of unsympathetic people like yourself too!! Makes me mad when a lot of people are going to lose thousands of there hard earned money and all you say is stop whining. I think they have every good reason to whine. I also think it wouldnt hurt the cruislines to come to some compromise.

And I for one have never heard of cancel for any reason insurance as I am sure many people havent, if you opt for gold full insurance you expect that covers all, I have now heard of it and would make sure I have it but not until now.

The ships still cruised to their destinations. Why should they be out the money? This is no different than a person living here in the states and booking their own air to be snowed in. The cruise line does not pay. It's up to the customer to either get their insurance to pay up or if they did not have insurance then they eat that amount.

The ships still cruised to their destinations. Why should they be out the money? This is no different than a person living here in the states and booking their own air to be snowed in. The cruise line does not pay. It's up to the customer to either get their insurance to pay up or if they did not have insurance then they eat that amount.

I agree to most of this but my main beef was with the OP being harsh with those that have had a bad deal. There was no need to put a thread headlining it when there are a lot of whines over much smaller issues.

But I do think RCI could have compromised, along with the snow issues etc, longterm they would get a lot more customers if they had some sort policy to help out passengers.

I agree to most of this but my main beef was with the OP being harsh with those that have had a bad deal. There was no need to put a thread headlining it when there are a lot of whines over much smaller issues.

But I do think RCI could have compromised, along with the snow issues etc, longterm they would get a lot more customers if they had some sort policy to help out passengers.

In addition to what you stated, the OP is also not taking into consideration that the insurance policies that are available to US residents are often not available in other countries. As much as I would like to have a "cancel for any reason" policy that has no conditions it just doesn't exist in my area.

I've been following this story closely and the news channels are full of stories of people who had travel insurance only to find out that some companies are treating this as an "act of god" and therefore not offering coverage.

In addition to what you stated, the OP is also not taking into consideration that the insurance policies that are available to US residents are often not available in other countries. As much as I would like to have a "cancel for any reason" policy that has no conditions it just doesn't exist in my area.

I've been following this story closely and the news channels are full of stories of people who had travel insurance only to find out that some companies are treating this as an "act of god" and therefore not offering coverage.

Yes they are here in the news in the UK too but I dont think he believes me. I think people need to realise that what you get in the US is not always the same in other countries.

We have a national health service. We do not have our own private medical insurance (well we can as well if we want- I have it through my job but never use it as I never need any extra). We all pay a bit from our salaries and we get doctors, hospitals etc free. We also pay about $9 towards the cost of any medicaton uless we are young, old, pregnant, disabled or unemployed when it is all free. It only covers care in the UK and some of the care in EU countries.

This is what our President is trying to obtain for the US, that EVERYONE would have medIcal coverage. It will never happen! As you can see by this thread, people have no concern about anothers. The haves don't care about the have nots. Prime ex.."I have travel insurance, don't "whine" because you don't...for whatever reason." and since I have it and you don't, look how smart and superior that makes me. People in glass houses :cool:

Yes they are here in the news in the UK too but I dont think he believes me. I think people need to realise that what you get in the US is not always the same in other countries.

No need to think at all. I DON'T believe you at this time. I haven't been convinced of anything nor have I seen anything in the news. Cite me an online source. Requested times two or three here already.

As it stands now, the volcanic eruption will fall under a weather event and would be covered under the basic policy.

I am not wondering anymore. There are A LOT of insurance companies that offer it. To not get travel insurance because it might not cover volcanic eruptions is BOGUS. Cancel for any reason would cover it. End of story. Get some cheese for the whiners!

Cancel for Any Reason

Available from several insurance providers, Cancel For Any Reason provides trip cancellation protection if a traveler is prevented from taking the trip for any reason not otherwise covered by the policy.

To be eligible for the coverage, you must purchase the plan within a certain period of your initial trip deposit (varies by provider) and meet the plan's cancellation conditions. See the plan details for more information.

The following insurance providers offer the Cancel For Any Reason benefit on select plans. Click the plan names to view policy details for Cancel For Any Reason coverage:

You can't buy cancel for any reason cover in the UK. There are very, very few policies that will cover this incident.

That said, I do take your point in principle, it may not apply in this situation, but back in the floods parts of the UK had a few years back, people were demanding compensation from the government to fix their houses, when if they'd just taken out home insurance they'd have been covered.

This is what our President is trying to obtain for the US, that EVERYONE would have medIcal coverage. It will never happen! As you can see by this thread, people have no concern about anothers. The haves don't care about the have nots. Prime ex.."I have travel insurance, don't "whine" because you don't...for whatever reason." and since I have it and you don't, look how smart and superior that makes me. People in glass houses :cool:

Very true, thank you, a nice person at last.:)

You can't buy cancel for any reason cover in the UK. There are very, very few policies that will cover this incident.

That said, I do take your point in principle, it may not apply in this situation, but back in the floods parts of the UK had a few years back, people were demanding compensation from the government to fix their houses, when if they'd just taken out home insurance they'd have been covered.

Hmmm so there ARE policies in the UK that would accoding to your post. Do you know which ones?

As it stands now, the volcanic eruption will fall under a weather event and would be covered under the basic policy.

And how about you show us proof of that? And by proof...I want you to show that it applies to every single travel insurance policy that exists around the world.

I've already given you links to several articles that suggest not EVERYONE is going to be covered for this. Here is one such article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/apr/15/iceland-volcano-travel-insurance

But policyholders with Aviva will not be able to claim. It says it does not offer cover for the cancellation of independently booked accommodation or car hire. A spokeswoman says: "Cancellation or abandonment of your holiday covers specific events only, such as injury, illness, death of the person insured or their travelling companion/a relative, redundancy or damage to your home by fire, flood or storm.

"There is therefore no cover for cancellation as a result of this incident."

Your example is flawed, and totally out of context for the subject at hand. The reasoning for opposition has nothing to do with not wanting it for everyone. But alas, that is the closest I will come on this board to a political argument. :rolleyes:

Who says I am unsympathetic? Sure I am too sorry for them, but to hear them rant and blame the cruiselines without doing research about travel insurance is ignorant and inapproprate. You should be mad at those that are ignorant, and not those that are EDUCATED. More misdirected anger here I see.

Good Lord! SMH. Why can't you EDUCATE them! Isn't that what CC is all about? Helping someone, sharing information, educating someone on something they were not aware of. Assisting fellow cruisers on making their vacations go smoothly. Your attitude is what is ingnorant!

No need to think at all. I DON'T believe you at this time. I haven't been convinced of anything nor have I seen anything in the news. Cite me an online source. Requested times two or three here already.

So are you calling all the people on here who say they are not covered liars?

Its on our news here in the UK all the time which you probably wont have access to, at this point it hasnt reach the internet so I cannot add a link, unless someone else can spot something??

Hmmm so there ARE policies in the UK that would according to your post. Do you know which ones?

No I don't, and I work in the insurance industry, so how are the general public supposed to know which ones?

Actually, thinking about it more carefully, a general principle of insurance here in the UK is that something which is covered elsewhere is not covered under ANY insurance policy.

The stranded passengers expenses ARE covered elsewhere, because the airlines - according the EU legislation - are OBLIGED to pay their costs. So it WONT be covered under ANY UK sold policies.

the travel insurers are well within their rights to not pay out. The airlines, however are not, and that's where much of the problem is coming from.

And how about you show us proof of that? And by proof...I want you to show that it applies to every single travel insurance policy that exists around the world.

I've already given you links to several articles that suggest not EVERYONE is going to be covered for this. Here is one such article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/apr/15/iceland-volcano-travel-insurance

Interesting, but another poster has stated that there are polices that exist overseas that WOULD cover the event. I like to see those.

Good Lord! SMH. Why can't you EDUCATE them! Isn't that what CC is all about? Helping someone, sharing information, educating someone on something they were not aware of. Assisting fellow cruisers on making their vacations go smoothly. Your attitude is what is ingnorant!

How about you stop yelling and calm down. It is a message board. No need to get all wired up over someone you don't even know. Maybe then, I will respond to your post.

So are you calling all the people on here who say they are not covered liars?

Its on our news here in the UK all the time which you probably wont have access to, at this point it hasnt reach the internet so I cannot add a link, unless someone else can spot something??

Liars? That word was never posted by me. I asked you to post links which you haven't so what you say here is suspect at best.

Let's leave our so called President out of this conversation. I just had lunch and would like to keep it down.:rolleyes:

No I don't, and I work in the insurance industry, so how are the general public supposed to know which ones?

Actually, thinking about it more carefully, a general principle of insurance here in the UK is that something which is covered elsewhere is not covered under ANY insurance policy.

The stranded passengers expenses ARE covered elsewhere, because the airlines - according the EU legislation - are OBLIGED to pay their costs. So it WONT be covered under ANY UK sold policies.

the travel insurers are well within their rights to not pay out. The airlines, however are not, and that's where much of the problem is coming from.

Is there a site that lists the guidelines of payout on an UK policy? I really would like to read it.

So people who do not agree with your view of this situation are not nice people? Give me a break. LMAO at this one.

No not agreeing with me but having some sympathy with the situation. And IMO those that tell people to stop whining over bad situations is not that nice a person. There was really no need for it only to wind people up, if he didnt like the whining why read it? I didnt think it warranted a harsh thread.And I am sticking up for those that have had or are having a bad time right now.

I am also reading that if one booked their air and cruise travel with RCI that they would be getting a 100 percent credit for their cruise. Is this correct?

Why wouldn't someone in the UK book it such a way? I know I would have.

Is it because you could save a few bucks booking air travel on your own rather than with the cruiseline?

Archived