Injuries as ship avoid buoy

The story said that the submerged buoy did not show up on the ship's radar. I've seen nautical charts that show every buoy out there. Was the ship not plotting course on paper as well as computers? Are ships relying too much on technology to the point that they abandon the tried-and-true? Might this have any serious safety implications?

The story said that the submerged buoy did not show up on the ship's radar. I've seen nautical charts that show every buoy out there. Was the ship not plotting course on paper as well as computers? Are ships relying too much on technology to the point that they abandon the tried-and-true? Might this have any serious safety implications?

the article said the bouy was adirft.

the article said the bouy was adirft.

I mean I just don't get this, those things are huge did someone not miss it when it went adrift...or report it. or even look for the darn thing.Really radar didn't pick it up..I'm not completely buying that..:rolleyes:

I mean I just don't get this, those things are huge did someone not miss it when it went adrift...or report it. or even look for the darn thing.Really radar didn't pick it up..I'm not completely buying that..:rolleyes:

maybe you should apply for the job of captain.

It is hard to guess whether they were telling the entire truth about the buoy's sudden appearance. If it was completely submerged, how did they see it at the last minute? If it was partially submerged, how late did they see it? What was it exactly? Not being the one to entirely trust attentiveness on non-military ships' bridges, particularly as everything is more automated, this is just a case that makes me wonder. At the same time, I am sure the details are being checked out appropriately.

When buoys do drift loose, and it does happen, the Coast Guard is generally quick to react, and they put out warnings that a) it is not in the right place, and b) that it is reported drifting in a certain location.

That being said, and to be fair, there are things out there that are not official, and break loose. A log the size of a whole tree can get water-logged to the point that it "floats" right below the surface. I have maneuvered a large ship, and emergency situations can require lots of heel (lean) on the deck. If you are going fast, and have to suddenly put the rudder hard over, things are going to go flying, and that includes people.

Archived