Best Beach in St. Thomas

We are leaving in 15 days with our two boys (8&10), and we are trying to decide on a snorkeling tour. So far I have liked Magen's Beach, Sapphire Beach, Turtle Cove, and St. John's Beach (strictly from looking through the excusions on the RC website). Any suggestions on which one is the best. We just want to get out with our boys and have a little beach time and snorkeling. They have never snorkeled before, and we think they would really enjoy it. Magen's beach is supposed to be beautiful from what I have read, but I would appriciate any opinions on the best beach. We are planning on booking through RC, is this the best option?

Thanks for any excursion advice. This is our first cruise!! Can't wait!

We are leaving in 15 days with our two boys (8&10), and we are trying to decide on a snorkeling tour. So far I have liked Magen's Beach, Sapphire Beach, Turtle Cove, and St. John's Beach (strictly from looking through the excusions on the RC website). Any suggestions on which one is the best. We just want to get out with our boys and have a little beach time and snorkeling. They have never snorkeled before, and we think they would really enjoy it. Magen's beach is supposed to be beautiful from what I have read, but I would appriciate any opinions on the best beach. We are planning on booking through RC, is this the best option?

Thanks for any excursion advice. This is our first cruise!! Can't wait!

It's really a matter of preference. There is a ton of information on the Ports od Call Board for St. Thomas...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

So you are on the May 8th sailing, right? I am too.

DH and I are thinking of doing the ship's excursion to Sapphire Beach.

Haven't finalized the decision yet (and have gone through so much info on the Ports of Call board that my head is spinning). From what I could see, Magen's is supposed to be the prettiest (but is usually the most crowded) and some have reported that Sapphire isn't kept up nicely. I like the thought of Coki, because they have lockers you can put your stuff in.

Perhaps we will see you there! What a cruise for your first time!!!

Rachel

On our last trip to St. Thomas a few weeks ago, we went to Sapphire Beach where we have been many times before. It's such a shame to see how badly the facilities there have gone downhill. No restaurant, bar, and the bathrooms were AWFUL. I wouldn't recommend it. The snorkeling is so so. They rent the equipment there so you don't have to take the RC excursion. Just get in a taxi and go when you're ready rather than only having a half day there if that's what you choose. The beach was packed. They did have a grill set up, but they couldn't keep up with the orders and it took two hours to get burgers. If you choose this option, bring your own lunch by picking up sandwiches at Mondo or Cafe Promenade.

I would recommend St. John going to Trunk Bay. You may want to take the RC excursion so there's no chance they're going to leave without you. Trunk Bay has nicer facilities, better food, and an underwater trail with plaques pointing out coral, etc. I don't know how many fish you will see, but bring some rolls from dinner and try attracting them with that. The travel time will be longer, but it will be worth it.

If you want to try going to St. John on your own, you would get in a cab at Crown Bay and have them take you to the Red Hook Ferry. The ferry will arrive in St. John at Cruz Bay and from there you will take an open air taxi to Trunk Bay. The challenge may be the time it takes to return from Trunk Bay. If traffic is bad on St. Thomas in Charlotte Amalie it could take you a while to return to Crown Bay.

Magen's Bay is pretty, but I don't remember great snorkeling there. As far as Turtle Cove, I don't think you will be snorkeling off of a beach, which is what I would recommend for this age group. That way, if one of them doesn't like to snorkel, you can still have a nice day at the beach.

No matter what option you choose, I'm sure you'll have a fun day!

We have a home in St Thomas so have been to most of the beaches there.

I would recommend Coki beach if you want to go snorkelling with your boys. It is next to Coral World, an outdoor aquarium type place, and there are LOTS of fish there. The best snorkelling on the island probably. There are chairs, umbrellas, food and drink and restrooms. It is very easy to get there by cab, and there will be lots of cabs available at the dock to take you there. I don't think it's necessary to take a ship's excursion to do Coki, because it's easy enough to do on your own.

Whenever we are in St Thomas, we always spend an afternoon at Coki for snorkelling.

Now if you want a pretty beach to relax and chill, Magens is the place.

Sapphire is the best compromise for pretty beach with great views and decent snorkelling. But unfortunately they are undergoing renovations and there are no facilities right now.

We went to Morning Star Beach at the Marriott Hotel. I was a really nice beach with umbrellas and chairs. There was a restaurant there with outdoor seating that we ate lunch at. We got there around 11 and had to wait a little bit for chairs. They were all out and had to go and get some more. As on most of the islands, there was no rush...;) It was $8 taxi fee per person. The taxi dropped us off at the far end and we walked quite a way to the chair stand. When we left, we walked right up to the hotel and asked for a taxi. There was one waiting there. We shared with several others. Don't walk all the back down to the end to catch a taxi. We had a really nice day.

Thanks for all of your replies! We have decided on St. John's, though I am still wondering if we just should have done Coki on our own. There are so many opinions, however, I am sure it will be great!!!! We are getting very excited.

One more question. Does anyone know if there is shopping right at the port in St. Thomas? We get back from our excursion just after noon, and I am wondering if there might be a little shopping near before we get back on the ship. We are also wanting to get back on the ship for the afternoon to enjoy some of the quiet time on there, but of course I wouldn't mind a little shopping time!! We don't really want to take a taxi anyhwhere, and we are in St. Maarten the next day with no excursion planned, so maybe I can shop then!

Thanks again!

we just got back from the oasis on the april 17-24 trip. we went to sapphire beach and it was an excellent beach for swimming and snorkling.When you go on an excursion with the ship , it's' only $39 and they give all your snorking gear and your chaisse chair when you get to the beach. also included is a free drink (soda, water or beer). the snorking on the beach was the best i've seen in st thomas.I went to st. john last year and the snorkling was terrible and the trip was 1&1/2 hours just to get to the tiny beach.we dock 2 miles from town and it does take a while to get there because of all the traffic. However after the tour you receive with the excursion(you get a drive around the island on the way back to the ship) you can ask to get dropped off in town. Then you just need to catch a taxi back to ship when your done shopping.

Well, I think we have redecided on Sapphire Beach. I know the facities may not be the best, but we think St. john's might be a little to long of a trip for our kids. They don't really like to sit still too long. We are looking forward to the snorkelling, and since we have never done it before, I am sure either will be great. We have changed our mind too many times!!! I think we will stick to this plan and save Wt. John's for another trip.

Thanks for all of the advice!!!

I would recommend St. John going to Trunk Bay. You may want to take the RC excursion so there's no chance they're going to leave without you. Trunk Bay has nicer facilities, better food, and an underwater trail with plaques pointing out coral, etc. I don't know how many fish you will see, but bring some rolls from dinner and try attracting them with that. The travel time will be longer, but it will be worth it.

If you want to try going to St. John on your own, you would get in a cab at Crown Bay and have them take you to the Red Hook Ferry. The ferry will arrive in St. John at Cruz Bay and from there you will take an open air taxi to Trunk Bay. The challenge may be the time it takes to return from Trunk Bay. If traffic is bad on St. Thomas in Charlotte Amalie it could take you a while to return to Crown Bay.

+1 I love trunk bay! I found it by accident a few years back. We just got off the ship and got a cab to st john, then picked the first beach we heard someone mention. Now every time I go to st thomas I make a point to go to trunk bay for the day. Taxi to red hook is the way to go. It is a shorter ferry ride than from charlotte amalie. Bring an underwater camera cuz the transplanted coral and fish are really cool at trunk bay. They have a snack shack not to far from the beach on a path for lunch, plus you can rent snorkel gear if you don't have your own.

Archived