packing for a Med cruise-tour

cweed

We are spending 5 days touring Italy and 12 days on a cruise of Italy, Greece, Egypt, Turkey.

This will take place in October and I am wondering about what kind of clothes to pack. (I know it is early but I like to plan ahead :) ) Anyway, I have heard shorts for men and women is frowned upon in Europe. Can anyone comment on this? Any tips on what kinds of clothes to take would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty well set on cruise wear - formal and in formal nights. It is the excursions and land portions of the trip that I am wondering about.

Shorts are an issue when you want to go inside the churches, otherwise, my kids and DH wore shorts all over. You can wear the zip-offs on church days. I wore skirts made of quick-dry material and linen tops most of the trip, but it was in August and probably hotter. I dressed to be comfortable for touring.

Americans wear shorts and they stand out because of it, but that's not the only thing. For instance they are taller than most (and heavier too), they smile too much, they keep more personal space than most, they act confidently, they shower daily, etc. There are lots of things that say "American tourist" and there's nothing wrong with that. Incidently, you'll likely visit lots of tourist places where you'll mingle with... you guessed it, fellow tourists! So don't worry about it, be comfortable.

There is no dress code in Italy or Greece but if you are are planning on going in churches then shoulders and knees need to be covered - apart from that it doesn't really matter what you wear. Egypt and Turkey are predominantly Muslim so you should cover up a little more in those countries. I wouldn't worry too much... the places you are likely to visit are used to tourists and many of the people you will come across make their money from tourism - no one is going to notice what you are wearing.

Well I certainly feel better and my hubby is very happy that he can wear shorts (except in the churches) while touring. You have been a great help - as usual - thank you all.

Keep in mind you are going in October. The later half of October can get chilly, especially in Northern Italy i.e. Venice or Milan. Dress in layers so you can peel off clothes during the day if it warms up. Wearing shorts at that time of the year may be cool especially in the morning and evening. Also the sun will set around 5:30 so it will chill earlier.

Take really comfortable walking shoes - a lot of uneven pavements, cobblestone paths, etc. When traveling in October, I wore skirts, capris and long pants. Also pack an umbrella and rain jacket for October. I also like to take my cross over the shoulder purse. Have a wonderful time - Europe is beautiful.

The weather in October was going to be my next question. We will be in Italy 10/5-11. Can we expect cool weather? We originally want to go in September but our TA told us it would be very hot then.

Archived