wine store

swissfamily

We have a Princess cruise leaving from Vancouver. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a wine/beer store (either close to airport or downtown) to pick up some wine for the cruise. Also, is it significantly more expensive than in the US? We will have a car so we are limited to travel a little but I certainly don't want to spend a ton of time driving. I could always pack it from home. Thanks!!

Although you can buy wine through private wine shops your best bet is probably to buy from one of the goverment liquor stores. You can look them up online or in the phone book, but there are several in the downtown area fairly close to the cruise terminal. Expect to pay more than you would in the US but there are any number of decent labels in the $10-15 range and of course you can move up from there. Take the opportunity to try some of our BC whites, some of the gewurz, viognier and pinot gris are truly world class as well as a good selection of chardonnay. The reds are steadily improving, with many of the boutique wineries bottling some interesting cabernet, merlot and shiraz. Good luck, enjoy your cruise and your wine.:)

I would love to try some of the BC-made wines. I usually drink red but do enjoy white as well (although not too sweet). Are there any local brands in the $10-$25 range that you might suggest make consistently good wine? I appreciate the suggestions and for not much more than I would pay here would love to try something I might not find in my local store.

I would love to try some of the BC-made wines. I usually drink red but do enjoy white as well (although not too sweet). Are there any local brands in the $10-$25 range that you might suggest make consistently good wine? I appreciate the suggestions and for not much more than I would pay here would love to try something I might not find in my local store.

Hi Swissfamily,

To start out and to make things a bit easier for you I'll give you a link to the government liquor stores website -- www.bcliquorstores.com The site shows maps and directions to the various stores. You'll see that there are two, Harbour Centre and Thurlow & Albernie that are close to the cruise terminal. The one at 1120 Albernie is a specialty store. While it does stock specialty items that can be expensive it also carries all regularly stocked items and a much larger variety of wines including BC wineries that might not be found in the normal stores.

These days there are a great many wineries popping up in the BC interior but the following are some that I drink and enjoy (not in any particular order of preference):

Red Rooster - reds

Burrowing Owl - reds

Grey Monk Cellars - whites

Inniskillin - reserves are good - nice Meritage

Jackson Triggs - same as above

Mission Hill - same as above

Sumac Ridge - nice gewurtz, merlot & cab franc are good

Tinhorn Creek - reds

Mt Boucherie - nice merlot

Quails Gate - reds & whites

Road 13 - little harder to find , bit more expensive but some nice bottlings

NK'Mip Cellars - reds

Obviously vintages vary from year to year but these are somewhat representative. There are others that may be sold out due to limited production/high demand but if you go to the specialty store talk to the staff there, as many are pretty knowlegeable about local products. Hope this helps. Enjoy.:)

There is a private liquor store at the airport. There is a goverment store at 70th and Granville beside Safeway with free parking and on the way from YVR to Canada Place. There is another one downtown in Harbour Centre about 3 blocks east of Canada Place on Cordova St, pay parking. And yes our prices are much higher up here then in most states...like double:mad:

Archived