Would you do a Baltic cruise that didn't go to St. Petersburg?

DH and I were just discussing Baltic cruises. We did a Celebrity one a few years ago with 2 days in St. Petersburg using private tours for each day. One day we'll cruise the Baltic again, but as we like to do independent touring and get to walk among the locals, we'd love one that bypassed St. P. and maybe did overnights in Stockholm, Copenhagen, etc. First time Baltic cruisers will obviously want to see St. P., but it would be nice if perhaps just one cruise a season dropped St. P.

Just thought I'd check and see if there was anyone else thinking the same thing.

Lynn

DH and I were just discussing Baltic cruises. We did a Celebrity one a few years ago with 2 days in St. Petersburg using private tours for each day. One day we'll cruise the Baltic again, but as we like to do independent touring and get to walk among the locals, we'd love one that bypassed St. P. and maybe did overnights in Stockholm, Copenhagen, etc. First time Baltic cruisers will obviously want to see St. P., but it would be nice if perhaps just one cruise a season dropped St. P. Just thought I'd check and see if there was anyone else thinking the same thing. Lynn

There might be a handful of people who might want to skip St. Petersburg, but I think it would be a fairly small number. St. Petersburg is such a great super star that it would hard to gain much market interest in that type of cruise. We really loved St. Petersburg and could back and see much, much more there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I'd have to agree with Terry -- I think St Petersburg is a city where you could go back a second or even third or fourth time and have a completely different experience based on what you choose to see and do in your time there.

Why not just plan a trip on your own, spending a few nights each in Stockholm and Copenhagen?

I would love too, primarily because we have been to St. Petersburg and once is enough for us unless we are able to wander around on our own (which won't happen without an individual visa). We would love a cruise with extra days in Stockholm or different ports in Sweden or Finland. But does such a cruise even exist?

I would love that! St.Petersburg is great, but I feel like even after a 2-3 day overnight cruise stop, we would still want to go back for a dedicated visit. And the cost/hassle of visas and organization seems a lot for such a short stay. I would much rather cruise a few more of the smaller Baltic cities (Riga, etc) and save St.Petersburg for a separate trip (most likely paired with Moscow and taking the train between the two).

I would love too, primarily because we have been to St. Petersburg and once is enough for us unless we are able to wander around on our own (which won't happen without an individual visa). We would love a cruise with extra days in Stockholm or different ports in Sweden or Finland. But does such a cruise even exist?

I just checked into the ind. visas and they are so expensive! ($181 per person) I also learned that you can not get a visa unless you have a tour booked with a private company there in St. Petersburg.

Archived