Liberty of the Seas Review - 04/18 to 04/25

This is my first attempt at posting a review, so please be kind. :D

This was the third cruise for DH and I, but the first for my 8 year old DD. We arrived in Miami on 04/17, the Saturday before our cruise. I booked our pre-stay hotel from Priceline and got the Marriott Biscayne Bay for $55 plus tax. I thought the hotel was very nice, especially considering the price I paid.

We were at the port by 11:00 a.m. and boarding went very smoothly. We were on the ship by 11:50 and eating lunch in the Windjammer. I’m not gonna lie, the buffet was crazy with people. My DD was not impressed but I assured her that it wouldn’t be this crowded all week. Unfortunately, she is a very picky eater. She tried the Honey Stung Chicken, but didn’t care for it. She ended up settling for pizza, which she said was good. After lunch, we headed to our room. This is the first time we stayed in an inside room and it wasn’t bad at all. I would do it again. The only problem we had was waking up in the morning. It’s hard to get out of bed when it is pitch black in the room! :eek:

It was raining when we boarded, but that didn’t stop my DD from wanting to check out the H2O zone. She played for awhile and had a blast. After that, we spent a couple of hours just exploring the ship. I have been on Freedom of the Seas and the Liberty is almost identical, except for the artwork and decorations. We also went to Adventure Ocean to sign my DD up. While we were there, she won a stuffed animal in a raffle. Unfortunately, this was the one and only time she went to the Kids club. I could not talk her into going at all during the rest of the cruise. I think she was afraid of not knowing anyone. I tried to convince her that she would make new friends, but it didn’t work. I know she would have had fun there, but short of forcing her to go, there wasn’t much else I could do.

After the trip to Adventure Ocean, it was time to get ready for dinner. Our luggage had arrived so we changed into some dressier clothes and headed to the MDR. I thought the food was really good in the MDR. I was able to find something I liked every evening we went. My DD also found things she liked on the kids menu. We had a table for 6 and shared it with a couple from Canada and their 9 year old son. We really enjoyed their company and had a great time dining with them each night. In the three cruises I have been on, we have always had good tablemates. I think Royal Caribbean does a great job matching families up.

On sea days we enjoyed the H2O zone, shuffleboard and the Seven Hearts game room. My DD loves to play board games so we spent a lot of time up there. Her favorite game to play was Apples to Apples kids version. Sometime towards the end of the week, that game disappeared from Seven Hearts and never reappeared. I was slightly irritated by that, but I’m sure it can’t be easy for the crew to monitor things like that. We played bingo a couple of times, but never won anything. They have the bingo machines available on the ship, so it makes it really easy to play. You just sit there and watch the machine. It automatically records all of your numbers and even tells you when you have a bingo.

Our first stop was Costa Maya. We did a private tour of Chacchoben Mayan Ruins through Native Choice. It was a great tour and very informative. I would highly recommend them to anyone. They gave a lot of history about the ruins and the Mayan culture in general. We were lucky enough to spot a couple of spider monkeys playing in the trees while we were there.

Our next stop was Belize. We booked a semi-submersible boat tour through the cruise line. My DD really enjoyed seeing the reef and sea life without having to get wet. The tour lasted a couple of hours and we were in the submersed part of the boat for 35 minutes. They tendered us right to the semi-submersible boat and then back to the ship, so we never actually set foot on land. We decided not to tender into town and just enjoyed the activities on the ship for the rest of the day.

Our third stop was Cozumel. We caught a taxi to Paradise Beach for the day. Here is a tip regarding the taxi situation in Cozumel. There is an area designated for people to wait in line for a taxi. The line was huge when by the time we got there. The main road was only about 100 feet away, so we just headed out to it and started walking down the sidewalk. In a matter of seconds, we had a taxi driver asking if we needed a ride. He charged us $14 to go to Paradise Beach. The beach was great and we bought the wrist bands so we had access to all of the water toys, snorkeling equipment and kayaks. It was a nice relaxing day. My DH parasailed for the first time and had a blast.

Our last stop was Grand Cayman. I had made reservations in advance with Moby Dick for Stingray City, but my DD was really nervous about doing it, so we decided not to go. My DH and I had been there before, so it wasn’t a big deal if we didn’t go again. I e-mailed Moby Dick from the ship so they could have a chance to fill our spots. They were very nice about it and replied back that it was no problem to cancel. Instead of Stingray City, we just wandered around town and did some shopping.

All in all, it was a great cruise. We had great weather all week long, with the expection of the first day in Miami. The crew was friendly and very accommodating. I e-mailed RCCL a week before the cruise to request a fan in our room. It wasn’t there when we boarded so I asked our room steward and she brought it by later that same evening. Our dining room waiters were awesome. Our waiter brought me an extra lobster tail on formal night and I didn’t even have to ask!

We had an 11:10 a.m. flight out of FLL so we opted to do the express self-disembarkation. We were off the ship by 7:00 a.m. and at the airport at 7:30. It worked out great and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

If anyone has any questions about the ship, just let me know.

Did you like the Marriott? I kinda want to stay in South Beach for my 6/20 cruise but the Marriott is a lot cheaper and really, we aren't going to have a lot of time there anyway.

How did you get from FLL to MIA and back? SAS Transportation?

I thought the Marriott was very nice. We never ventured out of the hotel because my daughter wasn't feeling well when we arrived in Miami, so I can't comment on the area around the hotel. We ordered room service for dinner and went to the restaurant in the morning for breakfast. It was a little pricy, but considering what we paid for the room, we didn't mind.

We used SAS to get us to Miami and also to drive us to FLL once the cruise was over. When our plane landed and we got our luggage, I just gave them a call. They were were there to get us with in 5 minutes. The same was true for the return trip. I called as soon as we were out of the port terminal and they came and picked us up. I would definitely use them again. They charged $15 per person each way.

Can you tell me about your room at Marriott Biscayne Bay? Considering you were 3 people, I'm sure you wanted a 2 bedded room, and many tell you that using Priceline for more than 2 people is not guaranteed.

We were considering this hotel as an option, but we would need 2 rooms, and one of them would have 3 people.

I'm just concerned with the added cost of eating dinner and breakfast the next morning in that area as well.

Thanks.

I thought the Marriott was very nice. We never ventured out of the hotel because my daughter wasn't feeling well when we arrived in Miami, so I can't comment on the area around the hotel. We ordered room service for dinner and went to the restaurant in the morning for breakfast. It was a little pricy, but considering what we paid for the room, we didn't mind.

We used SAS to get us to Miami and also to drive us to FLL once the cruise was over. When our plane landed and we got our luggage, I just gave them a call. They were were there to get us with in 5 minutes. The same was true for the return trip. I called as soon as we were out of the port terminal and they came and picked us up. I would definitely use them again. They charged $15 per person each way.

Thanks for the review - very helpful!

What did you enter on Priceline (bid $, # stars, etc.) in order to get the Marriott? We're thinking of staying there before our 5/30 cruise. Do you know if you can get Marriott points if you use Priceline?

Can you tell me about your room at Marriott Biscayne Bay? Considering you were 3 people, I'm sure you wanted a 2 bedded room, and many tell you that using Priceline for more than 2 people is not guaranteed.

We were considering this hotel as an option, but we would need 2 rooms, and one of them would have 3 people.

I'm just concerned with the added cost of eating dinner and breakfast the next morning in that area as well.

Thanks.

We have been able to get two beds when booking through Priceline. After you get your confirmation with the hotel confirmation number, call the hotel directly and make your request. It works for us every time. ;)

Did you like the Marriott? I kinda want to stay in South Beach for my 6/20 cruise but the Marriott is a lot cheaper and really, we aren't going to have a lot of time there anyway.

How did you get from FLL to MIA and back? SAS Transportation?

We stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay before our cruise in 2004. While it is a beautiful hotel with an amazing view of the port, there is nothing nearby. We had to take taxi's to get anywhere. We made the mistake of thinking we could walk from Bayside Marketplace to the Marriott one night after having dinner. Boy, was that a mistake. We walked for almost 40 min. through some very dark (unlighted) and sketchy areas. We walked over broken glass when we ran out of sidewalk. When we realized our error, we looked for a taxi to drive by but not one did.

I don't know if anything has changed in the six years since our stay...maybe someone else could chime in.

The next time we cruised out of Miami (2008), we stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Great property with wonderful view of the port AND right across the street from the Bayside Marketplace. We walked across the street to peruse the quaint shops and eat at one of the many food venues.

Getting ready to book HIPoM again for our next cruise.

Hope this advice may be helpful.

Thanks for the review - very helpful!

What did you enter on Priceline (bid $, # stars, etc.) in order to get the Marriott? We're thinking of staying there before our 5/30 cruise. Do you know if you can get Marriott points if you use Priceline?

If you go to www.betterbidding.com, it will tell you everything you need to know when bidding on priceline. If I remember correctly, I bid on a 3.5 star or higher in the Downtown Miami area. I knew I would either get the Marriott or Hilton, and I was fine with both. I bid $55 and won it on the first try. I don't know if you get Marriott points when using priceling.

We have been able to get two beds when booking through Priceline. After you get your confirmation with the hotel confirmation number, call the hotel directly and make your request. It works for us every time. ;)

I called ahead and requested a room with 2 beds. When we checked in, I told the woman at the front desk that I had called and requested this as well. She told me that they didn't have any rooms left with 2 doubles, but she could put me in a room that would accomodate a roll away. She said it would be $10 extra and I could call housekeeping when I got in the room to have it delivered. I told her that would be fine, since I knew I didn't have much ground to stand on because it was booked through priceline. We got up to our room, opened the door and saw that it had two double beds!! The woman at the front desk must have been confused, but I wasn't complaining!

Thanks for the review and positive comment about the inside room. You save much money by booking an inside that you can use for other things like excursions!

I couldn't agree with you more. The money we saved by booking an inside room paid for our seapass bill at the end of the cruise. The only time I felt like I really missed the balcony was in the morning because I like to know what the weather is like. But we would just turn the TV to the station that shows the helipad and we had an idea of the weather. :p

I couldn't agree with you more. The money we saved by booking an inside room paid for our seapass bill at the end of the cruise. The only time I felt like I really missed the balcony was in the morning because I like to know what the weather is like. But we would just turn the TV to the station that shows the helipad and we had an idea of the weather. :p

Who was your cruise director

Downtown Miami offer the Metromover, an automated and free people mover that takes you through the downtown area. Always well lit and I've never not felt safe. Here's a map

http://www.downtownmiami.com/Miami/files/ccLibraryFiles/Filename/000000000118/mover_map.pdf

I think the Marriott is fairly close to the Omni Station at the north end. No need to walk to Bayside from the Marriott.

This was the third cruise for DH and I, but the first for my 8 year old DD. We arrived in Miami on 04/17, the Saturday before our cruise. I booked our pre-stay hotel from Priceline and got the Marriott Biscayne Bay for $55 plus tax. I thought the hotel was very nice, especially considering the price I paid.

WOW! What a great deal! :eek:

Downtown Miami offer the Metromover, an automated and free people mover that takes you through the downtown area. Always well lit and I've never not felt safe. Here's a map

http://www.downtownmiami.com/Miami/files/ccLibraryFiles/Filename/000000000118/mover_map.pdf

I think the Marriott is fairly close to the Omni Station at the north end. No need to walk to Bayside from the Marriott.

Is there any public transport from that area to Miami Beach?

Is there any public transport from that area to Miami Beach?

Yes. There are buses. :) We used them when we were there for a week at the beginning of April.

Google maps has a new public transportation feature where you can put in where you are and where you want to go and it tells you how to get there using public transportation :)

We are doing this itinerary in December and would like to know which nights were the formal nights. Thanks.

The first formal night was Monday, which was the first sea day. The second formal night was Thursday, which was the day we stopped in Cozumel.

Bobbigrl27… being you have recently Cruised the Liberty Of the Seas I’ll ask you. Do you remember if the Cruise Compass suggested the three different dress codes (Formal, Casual and Semi Casual)? Reading RCCLs webpage and brochure they list all three. Some have posted on these forums not all ships are suggesting the three categories. We will be doing a B2B on the Liberty Of the Seas March 2011. We will be flying to Miami and don’t want to pack clothes we don’t need to take. We always comply with the suggested dress codes so that’s no biggie. If we don’t need it we don’t want to take it.

Bobbigrl27… being you have recently Cruised the Liberty Of the Seas I’ll ask you. Do you remember if the Cruise Compass suggested the three different dress codes (Formal, Casual and Semi Casual)? Reading RCCLs webpage and brochure they list all three. Some have posted on these forums not all ships are suggesting the three categories. We will be doing a B2B on the Liberty Of the Seas March 2011. We will be flying to Miami and don’t want to pack clothes we don’t need to take. We always comply with the suggested dress codes so that’s no biggie. If we don’t need it we don’t want to take it.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

The number of smart casual and formal nights is at the ship's discretion.

(I had a table here that didn't work so I removed it.)

Archived