CSA Insurance Does NOT Cover Oil Spill

From their website:

"CSA Travel Protection policies do not offer protection against effects of an oil spill. It is possible that if customers were on a Common Carrier in the Gulf of Mexico at the time of the event, and the event caused them to be delayed on their trip, there may be some coverage available depending on their circumstances and specific policy purchased. However, this would only apply to those customers who were insured and traveling at the time of the event. As always, customers are strongly encouraged to refer to their specific Certificate of Insurance or Insurance Policy for details regarding their available coverage, and to contact our Customer Service Department with any questions."

When I contacted them, they just offered to read the above statement to me, and said I was not covered.

From their website:

"CSA Travel Protection policies do not offer protection against effects of an oil spill. It is possible that if customers were on a Common Carrier in the Gulf of Mexico at the time of the event, and the event caused them to be delayed on their trip, there may be some coverage available depending on their circumstances and specific policy purchased. However, this would only apply to those customers who were insured and traveling at the time of the event. As always, customers are strongly encouraged to refer to their specific Certificate of Insurance or Insurance Policy for details regarding their available coverage, and to contact our Customer Service Department with any questions."

When I contacted them, they just offered to read the above statement to me, and said I was not covered.

Were you inquiring because you think your cruise will be cancelled.....or because you were looking to cancel??

Perhaps that is because IF a cruise line were to cancel the cruise because of the oil spill...you would get a full refund?

Linda, if you are checking back here . . .

I hope none of this is going to have any affect whatsoever on what will be a fantastic sailing for you all later this week.

Enjoy it to the fullest!!!! :D :D

There are some worried about ports being closed if the oil spill spreads to Mexico, or even the departure point. I have heard a few saying they have insurance, in case they cancel. (though they probably havent checked with their insurance carriers.

I booked last minute for a cruise leaving NO and when I spoke with my PVP and said some are talking about cancelling for the spill effects, she said do you want insurance, and I said I dont know that it would cover anything that would help me?

I think its a interesting question, thanks OP.

Perhaps that is because IF a cruise line were to cancel the cruise because of the oil spill...you would get a full refund?

Most I know arent thinking Carnival would cancel, but more that it could affect their cruise in other ways who have insurance on my roll call. Carnival will go if at all possible... but thats not to say they couldnt be bussing or expecting you to drive to another port. (since its happened before, only last year)

Excuse me, but why are you assuming that the oil spill will affect you? Has your cruise been cancelled?

If the cruise is cancelled, you will get your money back - the cruise fare, at least. You would have a claim against the oil company for any other losses.

The insurance companies can only insure against specific known events. No one expected an oil spill to occur, so it was not included in the policies.

In the future, policies will likely offer oil spill coverage, and the premiums will rise according to the risk.

Excuse me, but why are you assuming that the oil spill will affect you? Has your cruise been cancelled?.

I think its naive to not think you will be somewhat affected, my viewpoint is just the opposite of yours.

Already the ships have to go slower up the channel of the river to New Orleans, which could affect the time the ships get in and out of port. As this spreads (its expected it could take 3 months to cap the oil spill I heard today), the effect will grow.

There are bound to be some effects, we just don't know yet what they will be.

Excuse me, but why are you assuming that the oil spill will affect you? Has your cruise been cancelled?

If the cruise is cancelled, you will get your money back - the cruise fare, at least. You would have a claim against the oil company for any other losses.

The insurance companies can only insure against specific known events. No one expected an oil spill to occur, so it was not included in the policies.

In the future, policies will likely offer oil spill coverage, and the premiums will rise according to the risk.

They are probably reacting to the memo posted on Carnival's website about Mobile.....

I think its naive to not think you will be somewhat affected, my viewpoint is just the opposite of yours.

Already the ships have to go slower up the channel of the river to New Orleans, which could affect the time the ships get in and out of port. As this spreads (its expected it could take 3 months to cap the oil spill I heard today), the effect will grow.

Firefly...you are correct. All of this is just speculation at this point...but with the note posted on Carnival's website about Mobile specifically...it certainly has us cruising from Mobile....watching...

Most I know arent thinking Carnival would cancel, but more that it could affect their cruise in other ways who have insurance on my roll call. Carnival will go if at all possible... but thats not to say they couldnt be bussing or expecting you to drive to another port. (since its happened before, only last year)

That's good with me....New Orleans ...Galveston...Tampa...I am ready to roll!!

From their website:

This surprises me

From their website:

This is exactly what I have been asking about a hurricane for my august Dream cruise. When I call most insurance companies they tell me only if carnival cancels am I covered. IF carnival cancels they will provide a refund. Carnival probably doesn't want to lose 2 mil so they will change ports so I won't be covered so why get insurance? Any insurance minded person have the answer?

Sorry if this is off topic but it is kinda a insurance thread

Hmmmmmm they must be monitoring it ! And I assume it will be posted on CCL's website regarding updates as they develop.... and keeping the passengers INFORMED, as they should and are currently doing ! :rolleyes::D

From their website:

This certainly doesn't surprise me. We had CSA last year when we went on the Conquest. The swine flu hit when we were at sea and we didn't make it to Cozumel. We had a private excursion there that was prepaid. When we got home we were having trouble getting the money refunded even though they said they would refund if the ship didn't dock. I called CSA to see if we could get our money (over $400.00) through the insurance if the excursion company didn't come through. And they told me that it would not be covered since we didn't show up in Cozumel, even though Carnival canceled the port and the port was closed by Mexico. The only way we would be covered is if I had personally had swine flu, but not if the country had closed its ports. They said I could have done the excursion if I had showed up. How do you like that stupid reasoning? As if I could somehow show up.

So don't assume things are covered. Especially on weird cases such as this. Because there is a good chance it probably isn't.

Sharon

This certainly doesn't surprise me. We had CSA last year when we went on the Conquest. The swine flu hit when we were at sea and we didn't make it to Cozumel. We had a private excursion there that was prepaid. When we got home we were having trouble getting the money refunded even though they said they would refund if the ship didn't dock. I called CSA to see if we could get our money (over $400.00) through the insurance if the excursion company didn't come through. And they told me that it would not be covered since we didn't show up in Cozumel, even though Carnival canceled the port and the port was closed by Mexico. The only way we would be covered is if I had personally had swine flu, but not if the country had closed its ports. They said I could have done the excursion if I had showed up. How do you like that stupid reasoning? As if I could somehow show up.

So don't assume things are covered. Especially on weird cases such as this. Because there is a good chance it probably isn't.

Sharon

Thanks for the info on CSA. Up to this point, I don't remember reading anything negative about them...so this is good to know...

The insurance system does seem to have an excuse for most events. I mean that paragraph really means anything they want it to mean.

However I suppose Carnival's guarantee could kick in for you.

If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience, all you need to do is notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you must debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call. Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.

CSA is a normally considered an excellent insurer. And many of their policies cover pre existing conditions when purchased at final payment, a feature lots of really early bookers love.

I think posting your detailed questions about cruise insurance over on the the cruise insurance board will get some very knowledgeable people helping you.

The oil spill is not normally covered it's not weather related.

The swine flu had been declared a pandemic and many insurers did not cover once it became a pandemic.

Just saying that I normally go over to that board when I need info.

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/04/alabama_port_changes_ship_path.html

This isn't pertaining to insurance, but it doesn't sound like the AL State Port Authority is planning to close the port of Mobile. They will be requiring vessels that trek through the oil to stop and be washed off before entering Mobile Bay, however. Fantasy is looking like it could use a good scrubbing on the outside anyway. The funnel sure needs a fresh coat of paint.

This is exactly what I have been asking about a hurricane for my august Dream cruise. When I call most insurance companies they tell me only if carnival cancels am I covered. IF carnival cancels they will provide a refund. Carnival probably doesn't want to lose 2 mil so they will change ports so I won't be covered so why get insurance? Any insurance minded person have the answer?

Sorry if this is off topic but it is kinda a insurance thread

This is a bit general since policies vary -read carefully when you purchase to determine what you are and aren't covered for.

Insurance will cover a number of things due to a hurricane. They are right, if Carival cancels, then Carnival will refund and travel insurance MAY cover refunding your flights and precruise hotel if you can't get to the embarkation point and the cruise is cancelled. It is extremely rare that Carnival will cancel the sailing. They are more likely to alter the itinerary -your eastern cruise may become western. There was even an RCI ship a few years ago that had to go north to Canada instead of to Bermuda!!! :eek: Insurance will NOT cover this as it's part of your contract that the ports aren't guaranteed. Flexibility in ports is always good when cruising, moreso during hurricane season.

It will generally also cover expenses if your point of embarkation or debarkation were to be moved - let's say you sailed from Tampa but they had to take you back to Miami instead due to a hurricane. Insurance would kick in for flight changes or getting you back to Tampa if you drove.

Travel insurance also will help get you catch up to the ship if you miss it - say you are sailing from LA but flying out of Florida and can't get your flight out due to a hurricane. Insurance will help fly you to the first port and cover any additional meals/hotels in the meantime. I have also seen where insurance will cover if your personal residence is made uninhabitable due to a disaster - then they will let you cancel and be refunded.

No insurance will cover you if you just decide that a storm is out there and you don't want to go due to itinerary change or rough seas. If the ship sails, you have to have made every effort to be on it and catch up to it in order for insurance to cover you.

Of course the insurance also covers much more - medical evacuation, reimbursement for infirmary visits, lost luggage, theft of valuables, cancellation due to a death or serious illness in the immediate family, assistance getting home in case of an emergency, etc.

The insurance system does seem to have an excuse for most events. I mean that paragraph really means anything they want it to mean.

If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience, all you need to do is notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you must debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call. Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.

From what I know you are very limited in how you can get home and are probably going to be out of pocket some hotel costs before you can get home that will not be reimbursed. That fly you home and reimburse you, read the terms before you decide to try it. (hint bring money to do it)

You Have to notify the ship prior to the first non-US Port and disembark at the first non-US port. Carnival will reimburse you for the cheapest flight out after you pay and later file a claim - they won't pay your port expenses waiting for a flight. They'll reimbirse you pro-rated for the remaining days of unused cruise. ken

Archived