Pre-paid gratuities

I had a quick question about pre-paid gratuities. I have always brought cash for gratuities but this time I am considering taking the pre-paid route. My understanding is that when you prepay you are given a voucher to hand to the staff. My concern is about the waiters in the MDR. We will likely eat in the Windjammer or specialty restaurants each night and not eat in the MDR. I don't want to stiff the MDR staff (especially since they do work in the windjammer as well) but I most likely won't even know who they are since we won't be eating there. Are they still able to receive their tips if I pre-pay but do not deliver the voucher?

Yes, the staff will all receive their fair share. It is all computerized. We have our tips added to our seapass account, and we get the vouchers and give them to the staff. If the vouchers get lost, and not to the staff, they do still receive their tips.

If you want to award a staffmember, give them cash in hand whenever you feel they deserve it. We do that many times during our cruises.

We don't deliver the vouchers and evelopes to the MDR staff anymore. Delivering the vouchers is not necessary as it's all computerized. Before MTD, when we ate in traditional dining with the same staff, I found this practice a little awkward. Maybe it's just me!

The suggested tips for the MDR staff cover all of the food service waitstaff including the Windjammer. So, even though we eat dinner in the specialty restaurants or Windjammer on 3-4 nights on a 7-day cruise, we still tip the full amount knowing that everyone that should be taken care of, is.

Pre-paid gratuities ? Who does this cover? Who do you still need to tip?

The pre-paid covers your room attendant, waiter, ass't waiter, and head waiter.

All drink purchases have 15% added, so no additional is needed.

The only other tips on the ship you might need will be if you order room service...tip at time of delivery--$1-5 depending on how much they have to carry!

I have a question regarding pre-paid gratuities, we are on MDR as of now but thinking of changing to MTD and i know this requires a pre-paid gratuities which is fine but will my CC be charged right away when i do the change or not til i board the ship? TIA.

Ok so theoretically, we shouldn't feel obligated to tip the room steward or wait staff if we are on MTD since it's all taken care of when I pre-paid the gratuities, correct?

If someone goes above and beyond then yes, that's different.

We paid the fee to eat at Chops one night, did that include gratuities as well?

I have a question regarding pre-paid gratuities, we are on MDR as of now but thinking of changing to MTD and i know this requires a pre-paid gratuities which is fine but will my CC be charged right away when i do the change or not til i board the ship? TIA.

If you change to MTD before you board that will become part of the price for your cruise. If you wait until you are on, then it becomes part of your sea pass account. You can use any OBC for that, but you may be disappointed because MTD is becoming more and more popular, and they may not have the room to accept anymore for MTD.

Does pre paid include Ocean club?

No it only covers stateroom attendant, assistant waiter, head waiter, as well as your normal waiter. Bar purchases automatically have a 15% tip added to the bill, anyone else that you feel deserve a tip is on you to see to it they get that tip.

Ok so theoretically, we shouldn't feel obligated to tip the room steward or wait staff if we are on MTD since it's all taken care of when I pre-paid the gratuities, correct?

If someone goes above and beyond then yes, that's different.

We paid the fee to eat at Chops one night, did that include gratuities as well?

Your theory is correct.

Chops cover charge does have the tip included, however again if you feel they deserve more, then by all means....

Archived