All Things Adventure of the Seas ¡Olé! Edition

We're another AOS sailing - July 17. Thanks for directing us to this. Staying a week in Marbella beforehand. Keep seeing the AOS cruises coming up as special offers and hoping our price has dropped but many cabin types on our sailing (including our grade) dont seem to be showing availability now. I think Malaga is a good departure point - avoid that long chilly sail from Southampton and the port is nice and convenient for the airport etc. Also much prefer the area to Barcelona (although I'm probably in a minority on that). Really looking forward to this...

We're another AOS sailing - July 17. Thanks for directing us to this. Staying a week in Marbella beforehand. Keep seeing the AOS cruises coming up as special offers and hoping our price has dropped but many cabin types on our sailing (including our grade) dont seem to be showing availability now. I think Malaga is a good departure point - avoid that long chilly sail from Southampton and the port is nice and convenient for the airport etc. Also much prefer the area to Barcelona (although I'm probably in a minority on that). Really looking forward to this...

Welcome Sarh!

It sounds like you know the Malaga area Sarh, could you share some of your plans in Marbella, or is it just beach-beach-beach ;-) I've never been myself, but if it's better than Barcelona I know I will enjoy it!

Dear friends:

Marbella is like the Miami Beach of Spain. It is place where Spaniards, Brits, Germans, and other Europeans escape the winter cold. Many Europeans have vacation homes in Marbella.

Technically "Marbella" is a small town squashed between Mijas and Estepona. However, what is thought of today as Marbella, is more like a state of mind and geographically extends past these borders.

Marbella is a beautiful place for beach homes, hotels, there is a lovely yacht harbor named Puerto Banús (with restaurants and shops behind it).

However, with all due respect, it is nothing like Barcelona. Barcelona is a city unto itself with a vast cultural offering beyond simply enjoying the sun and sea.

It is also very awkward to get around the Costa del Sol without a rental car. I would highly recommend one.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, since I live in Madrid which is quite close.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Hi

We have a second home there and so I am biased! I just find southern Spain more laid back and Spanish than Barcelona.

The negatives on the coast- it does look like a concrete jungle at first sight as there are second homes built on every possible patch of land. The positives - lots of lovely beach chiringuitos with fresh seafood, sangria etc; some great places to visit.

My favourite place is Granada, not just the Alhambra (although it shouldnt be missed) but also the city and the mountain areas surrounding it. The shows in the gypsy area are also good - the old ladies as well as the young women showing off their flamenco. Also recommend Ronda -great to explore and then spend siesta time having a lovely meal overlooking the gorge. Gibraltar is not particularly picturesque but is interesting being able to look across to Africa and realise its historic strategic importance (I just hate the apes!), and much better when there are no cruise ships in. You can just pick up a tour minibus at the bottom of the rock. If you're driving, park on the Spanish side by MacDonalds and walk across the border as there can be queues to get in.

Marbella Old Town (around Orange Square) is worth a visit, lots of lovely restaurants and still very Spanish. We go to Puerto Banus for a pizza in Picasso and you can just sit and watch the yachts and ferraris, but it is now fairly English rather than spanish-speaking.

For the kids we like Selwo Wildlife near Estepona, but tend to go when it's cooler as it is quite exposed. Good waterparks at Mijas Costa and Torremolinos. Actually, Mijas is quite nice for a walk, but is also quite English and no longer the authentic mountain village it was.

For beaches, we chose the part just east of Marbella centre as it has unspoilt beaches backed by dunes and tends to have more Spanish than British second homes (don't dislike my fellow Brits just like to feel I'm abroad!). The beach can change quickly (eg that by Los Monteros Hotel is not good, but within half a mile are some of the best). Many have a chiringuito and you can hire loungers. There are some beach clubs, like Nikki Beach at Elviria and Ocean at Puerto Banus, but we don't bother.

We tend to go to Malaga at Easter when all the parades are on, rather than in summer. It's not as impressive as Barcelona, but has the Picasso museum, cathedral etc and, like most places in Southern Spain, is good for a wander and a long siesta lunch!!

It's worth trying to find somewhere with a fiesta when you are there-there are usually diaries on the internet - I know there is one on 16 July (possibly La Cala?) and also the main Malaga one is around the third week of August.

One final thing - traffic gets terrible July/August, particularly weekends. Also, beaches are quieter during the week when some of the locals are back at work.

Hope this is of some interest and sorry it's so long - you just asked me about one of my favourite subjects! I'm sure many others on this thread know the area well, so I'm sure there's lots they can add (or disagree with!).

Just saw Gunther and Uta's reply - they are 100% right that you can't directly compare Marbella with Barcelona. I was looking at Malaga as a gateway to Andalucia, rather than the individual towns. Anyway, Madrid is one of my favourite places of all!

Sarh, thanks for your informative post. We have visitied the Costa del Sol many times and have a timeshare week between San Pedro and Estepona. We have never been in July or August, the road is bad enough off season. For this trip we have a timeshare exchange in Calahonda though, which always seems much busier than near Estepona. Where in the UK are you from. We live in Surrey.

Corinne

Hi, We're in Hertfordshire. On cruise with daughter, 12. Son,18, is going home before we go on the cruise. Was worried he'd be between ages on the ship-too old for kids, too young to drink. Read since that the 18-21 yr olds have a great time. The good thing about Calahonda traffic is its easy to slip up to the toll road and avoid the jams along the coast if you're going further afield. Shame that most of us on this thread will never meet!!!

Hello, Pete!

Thank you for confirming - I read before another post (by a CruiseCritic member) that noted that the docking is not in port of Toulon but rather in La Seyne Sur-Mer... Called RCI but the customer service was unable to confirm it saying that the only information on their system was Provence, Toulon and dock terminal A, B, C, and D area but not a physical address or more details.

FYI - There is a cheaper and faster way to get to Toulon from Seine Sur-Mer... Instead of using the shuttle bus ($12.00), one can take the boat (maritime line 8M) for only 2.00 Euros (or buy a day pass valid for bus, boat and cable for 6.00 Euros; or buy a a day pass for unlimited land only trips for 3.90 Euros).

Well, we're back in Barcelona after a great if short cruise. As docking in La Seyne Sur-Mer was somewhat of a disappointment, it would be benefical for anyone going to 'Toulon' to take a note of the above alternative to get to Toulon because RCI will deny there is any other options available.

Due to the volume of traffic it takes around 45 minutes by bus to travel the 6 miles from the dock to the ferry terminal where you are dropped in Toulon.

As mentioned in my previous post, we've arrived back in Barcelona. Headback to UK tomorrow. Currently uploading the photos and started to write a detailed trip report for posting when I get back home.

Briefly though, headlines are:

Check in easy, ship in great shape, staff on the whole pleasant.

Fellow passengers, from several nations, high percentage of Spanish as expected. Large Spanish family groups.

Sun decks and Windjammer packed on sea day. Chair hogs out in force, despite very visable signs everywhere that reserving of chairs not allowed and that belongings would be moved to the towel station after 30 minutes. However, pool attendants did nothing and I witnessed up to 8 loungers, if not more, being 'reserved' for well over 30 minutes. Families would re-arrange whole areas of the sun deck to sit together, and these are large groups! You have to be up on deck early to grab the best spot!

Ports - Toulon disappointing, Ibiza better IMHO. Still a pain having to be shuttled into town, although buses did run more frequently and the trip took about 10 minutes. Still chaotic organisation though, with people pushing in line to get on a bus. However, taxis plentiful if you wanted to travel in/out town that way.

Only a walking tour of Ibiza old town and a wine tour available. Poor selection seeing that at the end of the dock there were glass bottom boats and catamarans moored up. I would have thought a few boat trips would have been organised.

A more detailed report will be provided soon.

I'll try to answer as many questions as I can.

As mentioned in my previous post, we've arrived back in Barcelona. Headback to UK tomorrow. Currently uploading the photos and started to write a detailed trip report for posting when I get back home.

Briefly though, headlines are:

Check in easy, ship in great shape, staff on the whole pleasant.

Fellow passengers, from several nations, high percentage of Spanish as expected. Large Spanish family groups.

Sun decks and Windjammer packed on sea day. Chair hogs out in force, despite very visable signs everywhere that reserving of chairs not allowed and that belongings would be moved to the towel station after 30 minutes. However, pool attendants did nothing and I witnessed up to 8 loungers, if not more, being 'reserved' for well over 30 minutes. Families would re-arrange whole areas of the sun deck to sit together, and these are large groups! You have to be up on deck early to grab the best spot!

Ports - Toulon disappointing, Ibiza better IMHO. Still a pain having to be shuttled into town, although buses did run more frequently and the trip took about 10 minutes. Still chaotic organisation though, with people pushing in line to get on a bus. However, taxis plentiful if you wanted to travel in/out town that way.

Only a walking tour of Ibiza old town and a wine tour available. Poor selection seeing that at the end of the dock there were glass bottom boats and catamarans moored up. I would have thought a few boat trips would have been organised.

A more detailed report will be provided soon.

I'll try to answer as many questions as I can.

Thank you kindly for the heads up and the brief summary ( informative and helpful).

Have a great time in Barcelona, Pete!

On AOS at end of July and currently looking for good value family rooms for nights before and after cruise.

Noted Barcelo but currently 140E a night as would need two rooms for 2 adults and 2 children. Will check our RoomMate Lola - feel free to email or post any other suggestions or sites with good prices!!

Thanks

karenrayleigh@talktalk.net

Dear friends:

I love the Costa del Sol for many of the reasons so eloquently just explained above.

I just believe that, from a touristic point of view, Barcelona is more interesting for a pre-cruise or post-cruise stay.

As far as a teenager having fun on the cruise, I believe that outside of the United States, because drinking ages in Continental Europe are lower, Royal Caribbean allows an 18 year old to drink if his parent or parents are also on the cruise and provide written permission. (Or maybe you didn't want your 18-year-old to know that.)

My wife and I are going on both Voyager (Barcelona) and Adventure (Málaga) this summer, so we'll let you know our impression.

And thanks for your comments about Madrid. It is a wonderful city and we do have almost everything here (almost meaning we are missing the ocean .......)

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thanks for all the info Gunther, Sarh and Pete!

Pete, what do you think would happen if someone with a bad attitude such as myself were to remove the towel from the long abandonned chair and use it myself? I've never done this, but I think as I get older and crabbier, you never know!!!

My wife tried to remove a towel belonging to a chair hog on the Splendour of the Seas out of Barcelona a few years ago (Splendour used to do the Voyager route out of Barcelona).

She was nearly punched in the face by a drunk passenger who lacked any sense of intelligence or class.

Since that incident, we go to the RCCL pool staff and insist that they remove the chair hog's belongings.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thanks for all the info Gunther, Sarh and Pete!

Pete, what do you think would happen if someone with a bad attitude such as myself were to remove the towel from the long abandonned chair and use it myself? I've never done this, but I think as I get older and crabbier, you never know!!!

My wife tried to remove a towel belonging to a chair hog on the Splendour of the Seas out of Barcelona a few years ago (Splendour used to do the Voyager route out of Barcelona).

She was nearly punched in the face by a drunk passenger who lacked any sense of intelligence or class.

Since that incident, we go to the RCCL pool staff and insist that they remove the chair hog's belongings.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I was tempted to remove the towels (not even Royal Caribbean ones in most cases) but would do as Gunther and Uta suggest and go get a pool staff (if you can find them, they were noticable by their absence).

One other piece of advice, if you want a bottle of wine from your wine package, but the main dining room isn't open (as was the case whilst in Ibiza) insist and get an officer to deal with your request, otherwise the Windjammer staff will say it is not possible because the main dining room is closed. My point is this, it is a 'Wine & Dine' package, well I'm dining and just because the main dining room is not open this isn't my problem. My request was resolved eventually.

Another piece of info, the General Store on the Royal Promenade no longer sells duty free liquor or cigarettes due to Spanish law and that the ship does not visit a non-EU port.

Here's a set of photos

Great photos Pete, the ship looks great!

Did you hear about booze smuggling going on? Was security going after booze in luggage as far as you could tell? I got used to bringing my (legal) bottle of my favorite wine with me on Carnival ships, but that appears to be a big no-no on RCI which is sad.

Gunther, thanks for the warning, I guess I'll refrain from kicking hogs off. I can't roast in the sun very long anyway, so a chair anywhere in the sun can do for me, doesn't have to be near the pool.

Another piece of info, the General Store on the Royal Promenade no longer sells duty free liquor or cigarettes due to Spanish law and that the ship does not visit a non-EU port.

Here's a set of photos

Pete, I have just spent a lovely 20 minutes watching the slide show of your cruise. Thanks very much for posting them, and so soon after the end of the trip!

Corinne

Here's a set of photos

Nicely done, Pete! Loved the blue of the waters and your zooming... great watch you have and comfy sandals (initially seen plenty of long pants and some jackets- thinking maybe it was windy or not that warm, but later seen the blues and got a better idea of the weather).

Cheers with that bubbly (excellent way to start an adventure on the AOS)!

Great photos Pete, the ship looks great!

Did you hear about booze smuggling going on? Was security going after booze in luggage as far as you could tell? I got used to bringing my (legal) bottle of my favorite wine with me on Carnival ships, but that appears to be a big no-no on RCI which is sad.

There are huge signs stating that it is not acceptable to take any booze on board, especially as you leave the check in area and head towards the ship as you pass through all the duty free shops in the terminal! There is a booze shop and I was tempted, and perhaps should have done as there were no more checks on hand luggage when boarding the ship!

Not sure if security were checking main bags but there were a lot waiting to be claimed on the first day near guest relations.

At all port stops all hand baggage and cameras etc are x-rayed so it would be difficult to get anything onboard then.

I was looking for a hotel room in Granada for our pre-cruise visit to the Alhambra and realized something interesting: There is actually a hotel inside the fortress, it's called Parador Granada and it looks amazing. I inquired yesterday about availability and price, no response yet, but it's probably pricey. How would it be to wake up within the fortress and look around before anyone else arrives?! What a treat that would be! The other hotel I was considering in Granada is the Hotel Albero. 40€/night, 5.5€ for parking. Gets good reviews on Tripadvisor, staff was very quick to respond to my queries, it's a bed.

Note: if you're going to visit the Alhambra you need to make a reservation and pick a specific date/time, they only admit so many people per time slot. http://www.servicaixa.com/nav/es/mucho_mas/granada/alhambra_y_generalife_09oz/visita_general/index.html

Hi Jolimont,

If you can make a booking at the Parador in The Alhambra do it right away you will not regret it. The Paradores chain of hotels are of exceptional quality, located (for the main part) in renovated monasteries and castles and the like. Also because you are right on top of it a visit to the Alhambra and the Generalife are a must. Dearer than most hotels but consider this...you may only ever get this chance to stay there.and it would be a shame to miss out on the experience.

Well we made it home folks, so here's my review of our 4 day sailing. Sorry it's long! If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

We travelled ‘overland’ from Manchester, UK to Barcelona on 18th / 19th May to ensure the volcanic ash cloud did not disrupt our flight from the UK or to Spain. That trip is a completely different story! Stayed overnight at the Villa Emilia hotel www.hotelvillaemilia.com

Thursday, 20th May

Caught a taxi from the hotel to the port ‘Moll D’Adossat’ at around 11:00, cost approximately €20 as the Barcelona taxis have a fixed charge, cost per KM and then extras for baggage etc.

Arrived at Terminal B and joined a short line for security scan and check in. We took our bags on board with us as we just had ‘carry on’ size bags for the 4 night sailing.

Entered the terminal and completed a health questionnaire to make sure we didn’t have swine flu. Used the Diamond/Suite Guests check in line and it was completed in minutes.

Passed by a stand selling the soda passes and then through the duty free shops of the terminal. Up the escalators (deftly avoiding the ‘Welcome Aboard’ photo opportunity) and proceeded along the covered walk way onto the ship on deck 4. Provided our SeaPass cards and passports for the photograph to be imprinted onto the cards and we were onboard. Reckon the whole process took less than 15 minutes!

Proceeded up to the Windjammer for lunch. Staterooms would be available at 1 pm. Stopped by Portofino to book a table for 9 pm on Friday, 21st.

Before entering the Windjammer, ordered a 5 bottle Gold ‘Wine & Dine’ package. Total cost $164.70 ($135 + $9.45 Spanish VAT + $20.25 15% gratuity).

Took a seat in the Island Grill and had lunch, very quiet at this time. Once lunch eaten we sat on Deck 11 and at 1 pm proceeded to stateroom 7318, a centre hump, starboard side category E2 cabin.

Complimentary Ice Show tickets in the cabin for any performance.

Unpacked and went exploring.

Had a drink in the Blue Moon Jazz Club in the Viking Crown on deck 14. Jack Daniels & Coke ($5.50 + 15%), Bombay Sapphire & tonic ($5.75 + 15%).

Attended the Diamond event for pre-dinner drinks, held each night from 5 pm – 8:30 pm in the ‘19th Hole’ on deck 14. Similar location to the Diamond lounge found on the Freedom class ships, so nice sea views, especially as sunset wasn’t until around 9 pm. Free wine, champagne and fountain sodas available, 20% discount on cocktails and beer. Very quite most nights but we were well looked after by Bryan.

We had pre-booked 8:30 pm for My Time dining. This was on deck 5 in the Mozart dining room. Got a table for 2 as requested which was on the balcony area of the dining room overlooking decks 3 & 4. Food was good, and the waiter and assistant waiter excellent.

Attended the Ice show in Studio B ‘Cool Art Hot Ice’ and it was enjoyable.

Visited Jesters night club, we’ve never seen a club onboard so busy, the bar staff couldn’t cope, so many people wanting drinks. Went up to Blue Moon on deck 14, again absolutely packed, no space on the dance floor and again the bar staff struggling to cope with demand. The theme was Latin, Salsa, Merengue catering for the very large Spanish contingent onboard.

Same in the 19th Hole, very busy with people wanting serving.

Friday, 21st May

Arrived in ‘Toulon’ at 7 am. Actually docked at La Seyne-sur-Mer which is 6 miles from Toulon and to get there you had to purchase a shuttle ticket costing $6 per person each way, so $24 for a two person round trip from Explorations on deck 5 next to Guest Relations.

We were invited to have daily full service breakfast with speciality coffees in the ‘La Notte’ dining room on deck 3 as Diamond members. It was very quiet but enjoyable.

The shuttle organisation was chaotic with people who had not purchased tickets allowed to pay on the dock and then push in the lines with those who had paid waiting to board a bus. The trip took approximately 35 – 45 minutes due to the appalling traffic. We were dropped off at the ferry terminal and told buses returned to the ship every 30 minutes.

Toulon was interesting to see, especially the market, but that’s about it. Went to catch a shuttle back, no driver to be seen. Finally boarded the 3 bus that had dropped people off, again total chaos. Return trip seemed to take even longer due to the volume of traffic.

Went back onboard to have lunch at Johnny Rockets. Good as usual.

Departed from La Seyne Sur-Mer at 6 pm.

Complimentary petit fours delivered to the cabin, I presume for Diamond members and up (no reason provided) on formal night.

Dined at Portofino at 9 pm, dress suggestion was smart casual even though it was Formal Night. Excellent, ate too much as usual. Staff very attentive.

Saturday, 22nd May

Went for breakfast to the Windjammer today and found they served ‘English’ back bacon and sausages, fantastic!

Basically a sea day until arrival in Ibiza at 4:30 pm. As a result it was very busy again on the pool decks, but we found a nice spot in the Solarium near the pool.

Once again a shuttle was needed to get from the dock which looked fairly new and was located near the Botafoch Marina. The port of Ibiza was very busy with ferries from other parts of Spain as well as regular services to the neighbouring island of Formentera.

Left the ship to catch the shuttle to the Formentera ferry terminal which is just outside the old town. Trip only took a few minutes.

Spent an hour or so exploring the ‘D’Alt Vila’ of Ibiza, the old walled town that is approached by an imposing archway up a ramp.

Returned to the ship for pre-dinner drinks and dinner. Had the Cops Grille steak available on the MDR menu, excellent ($14.95 which includes 15% gratuity + 7% Spanish VAT). Then we headed back out to Ibiza town via the shuttle for a few drinks.

Sunday, 23rd May

Breakfasted again in the Windjammer and found a table easily. Went for a walk from the dock to the marina and then to Talamanca which is the resort in the next bay from where the ship docks.

Headed back to try and find a spot on the pool deck, this proved really difficult and again the chair hogs out in force.

Went to Windjammer for lunch at 1:30 pm and gave up trying to find a table, it was so busy as the MDR was closed whilst we were in port.

Returned at around 2 pm and eventually grabbed a table for 2 as two people got up to leave. I requested a bottle of wine from our ‘Wine & Dine’ package but my first request was denied as the MDR was closed even though there is a bar in the Island Grill. I approached a senior dining room attendant and asked again. She initially said it was not possible as the MDR was closed, but I insisted as it was a ‘Wine & Dine’ package and I was dining. She consulted with someone else and he said it was possible. She got the wine from Portofino next door.

Registered my $10 internet credit with Guest Relations, set up a username and password in the internet café and then tried to use the Wi-Fi hotspot in Cloud 9 on deck 14. This was not working; the ship is not fully equipped with Wi-Fi so it is not possible to connect from your stateroom. The only locations are Cloud 9 (deck 14), Conference Centre (deck 2), Royal Promenade (Café Promenade, deck 5) & Solarium (deck 11).

We set sail from Ibiza at 3 pm towards Barcelona. We went to watch the Farewell Show in the Lyric theatre and then to our final dinner in the MDR.

Monday, 24th May

We docked in Barcelona in the early morning and although as Diamond Members we had been given one of the first coloured tags for early disembarkation, we stayed onboard and had breakfast in the Windjammer as we were taking our own luggage off.

We could have waited in the Mozart dining room reserved for Diamond members, but we stayed in the cabin until about 8:30 am.

Checked out our formal ‘informal’ photographs from the previous evening, but didn’t purchase any as they are not worth the $19.95 + VAT IMHO.

We strolled around the pool deck and saw MSC Splendida dock behind us, Nautilus in front and Oceana beyond that. It was a busy day in the port of Barcelona.

We left the ship around 8:45 am, no lines for exiting the ship, strolled through the terminal and out to get a taxi to our post cruise hotel and waited all of 5 minutes before being on our way.

Highlights

Adventure of the Seas is a great ship, and in good condition.

Unobtrusive stateroom attendant, but thorough and the cabin was spotless.

Good food in the MDR, excellent in Portofino.

A large variety of food available in the Windjammer.

Strong alcoholic drinks (now into Lava Flows!)

Attentive staff

Great service, especially in Portofino

Very easy to check in and board and also when disembarking.

Great snacks at the Café Promenade (Brownies to die for!).

Lowlights

Chair hogging.

Chaotic shuttle organisation.

Shuttle from La Seyne Sur-Mer (cost and length of time taken to get to Toulon)

Lack of choice of shore excursions in Ibiza.

General Store does not sell duty free liquor or cigarettes due to Spanish law and is now the ‘$10 store’

Spanish VAT of 16% on shop purchases, 7% on all bar sales and cover charges for Johnny Rockets and Portofino.

Key Staff

Captain Ole-Johan Gronhaug

Mercedes LaFuente – Cruise Director

Melissa Broome – Loyalty Ambassador

Sample Prices

Chops Grille Steak $13.00 ($14.95 on the menu, includes 15% gratuity)

Mojito $6.00

20oz Draft Beer $5.95

Seattle’s Best Latte $2.75

Budweiser (bottle) $4.25

House Brandy $4.75

Portofino cover charge $20.00 ($21.40 per person due to Spanish VAT at 7%)

Jack Daniels & Coke $5.50

Bombay Sapphire & Tonic $5.75

8” x 6” photo $9.95 each, plus $1.59 Spanish VAT (16%)

Cosmopolitan $9.25

Mango Lava Flow $6.75

Lava Flow $7.00

Glass of wine $7.00 and up

All the above except where stated attract an additional 7% Spanish VAT, plus 15% Gratuity.

Archived