On shore tours vs "self created" tours

As I get set for my first ever cruise, I have to say the thought of being nickeled and dimed to death is starting to take control.

Speaking of such, I had a question regarding the on-shore excursions. Over-priced, right?

So I'm thinking of doing two decent on-shore excursions and wanted to get feedback from all of you. We are doing the Western Caribbean on Solstice and tend to like water stuff that's suitable for a 9 year old. I'd rather do a couple of nice ones than do a bunch and try to save a buck here and there.

As for the city tours, I think we'll just "bum" around and save alot of money by doing it "self guided".

Fire away with your ideas.

I would head straight to the ports of call boards for your destinations. They will no doubt be full of suggestions, and probably can recommend private tours that will be much less expensive than ship-sponsored tours. At least that's how it is on the Mediterranean boardsI hang out on.

We have a bunch of do-it-yourselfers who are always happy to help people plan their excursions in the most reasonable and least costly way possible.

Hope this helps

Cathy

As I get set for my first ever cruise, I have to say the thought of being nickeled and dimed to death is starting to take control.

Speaking of such, I had a question regarding the on-shore excursions. Over-priced, right?

So I'm thinking of doing two decent on-shore excursions and wanted to get feedback from all of you. We are doing the Western Caribbean on Solstice and tend to like water stuff that's suitable for a 9 year old. I'd rather do a couple of nice ones than do a bunch and try to save a buck here and there.

As for the city tours, I think we'll just "bum" around and save alot of money by doing it "self guided".

What are your ports of call?

Yes, ship excursions are more expensive. Also, private excursions have fewer people and more personal attention.

I would definitely recommend swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. (However, the weather often prevents ships from tendering there.) Costa Maya has very little in port unless you do an excursion. You might choose to stay on the ship and enjoy the pools and other amenities with a lot fewer people around.

Cozumel has many beaches, a submarine ride. I would suggest avoiding any of the excursions that require you to ferry to the main land with a child.

Definitely go to the ports of call board and you will get many recommendations on reliable tour companies.

BTW I have never been to Roatan.

If you snorkel, then Eden Rock in Grand Cayman and Chankannab in Cozumel are good bets. You can walk to Eden Rock from the ship and it is free. The fee at Chankannab is about 19.00, per person and the taxi fare is very reasonable.

Also, governors beach in Grand Cayman is very nice, although there is no chair rental thereon, but a plethora of big shade trees; and, the taxi fare is only about $4.00, per person.

We have not been to Costa Mayo in sometime; and, I understand that the hole in the fence beach may no longer be available; or, if it is, it is only a shadow of its former self.

Not sure what you mean by nickeled and dimed. Cruises are priced to be competitive and include the basics - transportation, food, entertainment and many shipboard activities which are free. I have a cruise booked on Solstice for August in Aqua Class. This cruise will cost me about $300 per person less than I paid for my first cruise over 14 years ago in a much smaller Oceanview cabin on a much smaller ship. Cruising is absolutely the best vacation value in the world - no exceptions. Certainly, there are extras like tips, liquor, sodas and excursions but these are extra on every other vacation. Yes, some of the upscale cruises include these but the price is almost 3X what you pay on Celebrity. I really do not want anything else included since I do not want to pay for other people's liquor, soda, etc. There are many private tour operators who offer excellent excursions at prices that are lower than those offered by Celebrity. However, when booking private excursions, you need to make sure that you give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship. I always get back to the ship at least 2 hours before departure. One traffic jam or broken down vehicle and you will hundreded or thousanded to death paying for airfare to catch up with the ship.

I would head straight to the ports of call boards for your destinations....

This advice is right on the money - the port of call boards are the best resource for port information. Most of the replies there tend to be biased towards private or on-your-own tours over ship's excursions, but keep both in mind.

It really depends on what you want to do and your budget. We've been on lots of cruises and done lots of research on excursions. In the Caribbean we also like water activities - beaches, day sails, snorkeling, etc. On our last cruise we did ship's tours at some ports, private excursions at other ports, and at some we just took a taxi to the beach or otherwise explored on our own. Most of the excursions (ship and private) we take in the Caribbean tend to be snorkeling day-sail tours. Some ports snorkeling is best done off a boat and some ports have great snorkeling off shore.

Actually, all of you have been very informative. My point about being nickled and dimed was my failure to realize how ala carte cruise pricing can be. Sure, entertainment, room and meals are included. But then there are drink options, and tipping, and is the stateroom butler part of the pr-paid tip and do I need to pay a restaurant surcharge, etc. Just a bit different from what I expected. But then again, probably the way to do it since everyone is a little different. Some might want to pay for drink packages and others not.

Every cruise line is different.

Celebrity gives you great value for your dollar but there are extras.

Other lines include beverages (alcoholic and/or non alcoholic) tips and even shore excursions. Specialty restaurants are no charge on those lines.

Enjoy your first cruise and then take a look a some of the other options out there. You may find that Celebrity is best for you - even with all the add ons - or you might want to opt for a line with fewer extras.

In the meantime, as was suggested, join your roll call and you will find many options for shore excursions other than what the ship offers.

If you choose select dining your tips will be prepaid. Otherwise there is auto tipping. Both of these scenarios take care of all of the normal tips except the 15 percent tip on soft drinks and alcoholic drinks. Of course, you are free to supplement the auto tip at your discretion.

Archived