Drink package suggestions

Here are my thoughts on making these better and more purchase friendly. But before I go into all of that, I do think they've done a nice job of making all platforms of beverages available in one package. Kudos to the suits at Celebrity and for the guests suggesting such a setup.

Now, here's my thought.

1. Have the option to pay a "cover" and get drinks at greatly reduced rates. For example, pay a $15 per day cover and get beers for $2 and wine for $3 per bottle/glass.

2. Be able to pay for the package by the day with a minimum commitment of X-amount of days. They do this in Europe with train passes. Eurail has a deal that allows you to travel 5 days unlimited within a 15 day period for a flat rate.

Both would add flexibility while offering a different revenue stream to the cruise line. Not sure of the administrative flexibility and implementation of such a program.

Thoughts?

We are occassional drinkers, and we have our first cruise planned for this Sept on the Solstice. Paying over $300 pp is a bit steep for us to just "drink". I wish there were some options, as you mentioned, like paying a cover or buying something for sea days (or your second option, like pay a price for 2 or 3 days of drinking in the 7 day cruise).

I may just have to stick with the 2 btls of wine and we just buy a couple of drinks here and there.

While these options would be nice from a passenger point of view, you have to realize that alcohol is one of the biggest money makers for the cruise lines. They are not going to offer a package that would cause their alcohol revenues to drop. Allowing people to buy a package for 2 or 3 sea days on a 7 night cruise would be great for us, but terrible for them - so it is not going to happen.

Archived