Live from the Ocean Princess - West Africa May 7

paul929207

Dinner has been changed from 5:45 and 8:00 last fall to 6:00 and 8:15.

They have had trivia twice a day, even on port days. Bridge is played every afternoon on sea days, plus we played the day we sailed from Luderitz at 2pm.

On any Sundays at sea, the buffet is open for breakfast for 6 to noon. Sunday Brunch is served in the dining room from about 10 to 2. A light lunch is served at the buffet from 1:30 to 5. The pizzeria and grill are open normal hours.

We have been at sea for the last two days and two more before we get to Benin

Are you enjoying the food?

What is the entertainment like in the evenings?

Pleased they have Trivia that is always a good laugh.

Enjoy......:)

Paul,Our good friends the einhorns (jerry and ellen are on your cruise.They both love to play trivia. please let me known if you meet them.

long cruiser

Yes, I first met them sitting in the cruise terminal in Cape Town waiting to board.

Paul929207,

Have just joined cruisecritic, and we are currently on Ocean Princess. Are there any shore excursions available for us to join? Or can you refer us to other contacts onboard Ocean who may be able to help as we missed the first day when everyone gathered after departure from Capetown.

Thanks.

Plettenberg

We have a meet and greet on the 19th at 2pm in Sabatinis. Come and join us. You can ask about tours then,

Hiya

I am considering going on Ocean Princess in June to Norway,Scotland Iceland Greenland Nfld and back to New York

How is the ship?

PICTURES?????

Is Ov OK??? I cannot afford a balcony

Your opinion on impact of spewing volcano

Help please?

Michele

The ship is in good shape. We went from Dover to NYC last summer on this ship and loved it.

Yes, I first met them sitting in the cruise terminal in Cape Town waiting to board.

After four restful days at sea, we arrived in Cotonou, Benin on the west coast of Africa. Benin is where many of the slaves departed Africa for the Americas. It is also the place where voodoo was developed.

We went on a tour with eight other people. We started at the sacred forest where we saw some of the images and ceremonies of voodoo. We then went to the House of Pythons. As the name implies there were many pythons there, probably about 75. These are used in some voodoo ceremonies. From there we followed the path taken by the people being sold into slavery as they were marched to the sea and the vessels to take them to the New World.

Finally, we went to Ganvie. This is a town built on stilts over the water. This was done because the local slave traders would not go onto the sea to capture people for slavery. It is now a town of over 30,000. We rode on a boat from the mainland to and around the town. After that, we returned to our ship.

It was a long hot day, with the temperature reaching the low 90’s and the humidity near 100%. We had one of the few air conditioned vehicles in the country, but the air did not work to well. None of the tour buses used for the ships tours were air conditioned.

Overnight, we sailed to Lome, the capital city of Togo. When we arrived, the captain said that it was 86 degrees, and it was only 7:10 in the morning. The humidity was nearly 100%. However, by about 8am, we were having a real strong thunderstorm. It was so bad, they closed the gangway to the pier for about 15 minutes.

We had an all day tour yesterday and have another one tomorrow, so we planned to take the shuttle into town and wander around a little. However, since it is nearly 2pm and still raining, it looks like we will stay onboard today.

We learned that early in the cruise, two women got into an argument in the laundry room. One punched the other and broke her nose. The one throwing the punch was put off the boat at the next port.

Yesterday, a woman was walking across the pier from the ship to a bus for a tour and was hit by a guy on a motor cycle. She fell and broke her arm. She is flying home today. The guy on the motorcycle was arrested and taken away.

In many of the ports, there is a performance by local entertainers to welcome us. The picture below is from today’s arrival

I will try to get answers to the other questions above.

After four restful days at sea, we arrived in Cotonou, Benin on the west coast of Africa. Benin is where many of the slaves departed Africa for the Americas. It is also the place where voodoo was developed.

We went on a tour with eight other people. We started at the sacred forest where we saw some of the images and ceremonies of voodoo. We then went to the House of Pythons. As the name implies there were many pythons there, probably about 75. These are used in some voodoo ceremonies. From there we followed the path taken by the people being sold into slavery as they were marched to the sea and the vessels to take them to the New World.

Finally, we went to Ganvie. This is a town built on stilts over the water. This was done because the local slave traders would not go onto the sea to capture people for slavery. It is now a town of over 30,000. We rode on a boat from the mainland to and around the town. After that, we returned to our ship.

It was a long hot day, with the temperature reaching the low 90’s and the humidity near 100%. We had one of the few air conditioned vehicles in the country, but the air did not work to well. None of the tour buses used for the ships tours were air conditioned.

Overnight, we sailed to Lome, the capital city of Togo. When we arrived, the captain said that it was 86 degrees, and it was only 7:10 in the morning. The humidity was nearly 100%. However, by about 8am, we were having a real strong thunderstorm. It was so bad, they closed the gangway to the pier for about 15 minutes.

We had an all day tour yesterday and have another one tomorrow, so we planned to take the shuttle into town and wander around a little. However, since it is nearly 2pm and still raining, it looks like we will stay onboard today.

We learned that early in the cruise, two women got into an argument in the laundry room. One punched the other and broke her nose. The one throwing the punch was put off the boat at the next port.

Yesterday, a woman was walking across the pier from the ship to a bus for a tour and was hit by a guy on a motor cycle. She fell and broke her arm. She is flying home today. The guy on the motorcycle was arrested and taken away.

In many of the ports, there is a performance by local entertainers to welcome us. The picture below is from today’s arrival

I will try to get answers to the other questions above.

Sounds like you are continuing to have a great cruise. I'd probably stay on this ship and rest up if I were you.

Take Care

Bob

Hey Paul!

This ship has some wonderful itineraries.

Anything you can pass along that you think would help us would be greatly appreciated. We take this ship from Dover to NY, via Iceland, on June 25, so all comments - good & bad - much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Canuker

Thanks Paul for the Live from!

We meet and played way too much trivia with the Einhorns on the panama cruise this past January. Are they winning all the trivia? :) I'm not sure if you talk to them much but you could tell them their "young" friends from the Panama Cruise say hi.

This looks like an awesome cruise - someday...

Thanks Paul for the Live from!

We meet and played way too much trivia with the Einhorns on the panama cruise this past January. Are they winning all the trivia? :) I'm not sure if you talk to them much but you could tell them their "young" friends from the Panama Cruise say hi.

This looks like an awesome cruise - someday...

We beat them as often as we can :)

I will pass on your message.

We beat them as often as we can :)

I will pass on your message.

We sailed overnight to Lome, Ghana. Lome is the main port and about 20 miles from Accra, the capital of Ghana. We were late arriving because a container ship that should have sailed at midnight, didn’t sail until after 7am.

We took a tour with three couples I met online before the cruise. Our first stop was at a mall to pick up some supplies for our cabins. The mall was surprisingly nice and would compare well to the ones we have at home. Our next stop was at the University of Ghana. It is a large school with many building packed onto the urban campus.

Next, we went to a huge market that took up many city blocks. It was hot and crowded. Vendors and beggars chased us around, but eventually gave up, only to be replaced by others. Many were selling things like mirrors and lottery tickets that tourists were unlikely to want. Then we went to a handicraft market. This was much quieter and cooler. Some of us bought things. Next, we went to a sea side restaurant. We had all brought our lunch, but our guide that that was fine. So we all bought something cold to drink and ate the food from the ship.

After lunch we drove past Independence Square. Our final stops were are ships that made caskets. However, these were not ordinary caskets like we see at home. These were designed to reflect the occupants life. They included an airplane, a race car, a leopard, an elephant and a banana.

After lunch we drove past Independence Square. Our final stops were are ships that made caskets. However, these were not ordinary caskets like we see at home. These were designed to reflect the occupants life. They included an airplane, a race car, a leopard, an elephant and a banana.

Bury me in the cruise ship casket.

That will be by next dream trip....We were on the OP from Shanghai to Bangkok...in Jan., and it was wonderful. I agree the Australian chef is wonderful....He made the best lamb and lobster that I have EVER had.....Not overcooked....rare lamb, wonderful....Carlos the maitre 'de was great also as was the chef's table on that trip. There also was a hairdresser by the name of Dani from the Netherlands.....She gave me the best haircut that I have had in 40 years.....and that is NO exaggeration. If you need a haircut....ask for Dani and maybe she will still be on the OP. The old Tahitian lounge was my favorite place to curl up with a book and watch the world go by.....Breakfast sometimes was a bit hectic as it seems like everyone wanted breakfast at the same time.....and in China, it was cold to eat outside....The Cpt. is great and very accessible. I had some questions about piracy of the coast of Indonesia and he had a whole packet written up and delivered to our cabin about sailboats and piracy in that part of the world. We really appreciated it.....I envy you of this long voyage....and look forward to your posts.

We are enjoying the first of three straight days at sea. So I just have a few miscellaneous comments today:

For trivia, they are giving coupons to the winners. At the end you will be able to exchange them for valuable prizes (yeah right!). No word on the exchange rate.

In the buffet, at breakfast time, the waiters/waitresses rarely come around with the tray of coffee, tea & juice.

In the buffet, there are crackers above the cold cuts. However, only saltines. Previously, there were club crackers, wheat, etc.

For trivia, they are giving coupons to the winners. At the end you will be able to exchange them for valuable prizes (yeah right!). No word on the exchange rate. This is normal on longer voyages as few people want to "win" five or six of the same prize along the way. One time when we did this, the exchange rate was good. The more coupons you had, the more variety of good stuff to pick from. On another, the exchange rate was laughable, such as five coupons for what would have been a prize for a single trivia game that did not use coupons.

In the buffet, there are crackers above the cold cuts. However, only saltines. Previously, there were club crackers, wheat, etc. You may want to ask if they still have the other crackers available. Sometimes stuff is available even if not out to see on the buffet.

See above in red.

[For trivia, they are giving coupons to the winners. At the end you will be able to exchange them for valuable prizes (yeah right!). No word on the exchange rate..

What no luggage tags? On a 25 day cruise last year we won several sets!

Archived