Live from the Ocean Princess - West Africa May 7

paul929207

Finally found the answer to an earlier question - Susan Rawlings will be the CD starting June 7th into the fall

Hi Paul - thanks for finding that out - is it possible for you to let me know if Shane (the ACD) will be on board with Susan in the fall. I also wonder if "fall" means that they will both be transferred or on leave when we finally board in Capetown on Nov. 21:confused: or they will still be there until we disembark in January in Bangkok:confused:

Lynne

Hi Paul - thanks for finding that out - is it possible for you to let me know if Shane (the ACD) will be on board with Susan in the fall. I also wonder if "fall" means that they will both be transferred or on leave when we finally board in Capetown on Nov. 21:confused: or they will still be there until we disembark in January in Bangkok:confused:

Lynne

I will ask Sammi when I see her

We will also be on next april from Shanghai to Rome

I am considering this cruise as well. We have never taken such an extended cruise so maybe someone can answer a few questions:

1. Current costs for an oceanview run about $7,500 - would one expect this to come down as the cruise date comes closer?

2. The costs for internet, specialty restaurants, spa, etc could really add up even on a short 7-10 day cruise. Could one expect any discounts on a 44 day cruise?

3. How does Ocean Princess ride in the open seas - we are used to much larger ships?

4. Is the entertainment more sophisticated then the bare chest contests on the mass market cruises; i.e. are there enrichment programs like on Cunard.

Any info on helping me decide would be appreciated.

1. Anybodies guess how many cancelations there will be at final payment time

2. Largest internet package is 500 minutes for $175. specialty restaurants and spa are the same prices as usual.

3. Generally, it has been fairly smoothe. We have had a few days were the seas were rough and we felt it. I suspect the bigger ships take the seas a little better, but they don't sail these waters often.

4. Sorry guys, no bare chest contests on Princess. We have onboard a woman teaching art, crafts classes, bridge director and teacher, and John Maxtone-Graham who speaks on the history or cruising.

Paul, since you are apparently a pro on the Tahitian, we have sailed on her 3 times. Now as the Ocean are there any significant changes, besides the name?

Nope. We now have flat screen TV's. I have not seen any significant other changes. Even the Tahitian Lounge still has the same name.

Here I sit at work at 0330 on Sunday morning with a talk radio station playing on my MacBook and Paul the ACD currently on the Ocean called up to say hi.

He has been a reasonably regular contributor to this overnight program for about 5 years or so. He was on the Sapphire in 2007 when we did Sydney to LA.

I think he said it was about 30 minutes since you sailed from Madeira.

It sure brightened up my night! :)

Maurice

Platinum and elite members get a fair amount of free internet access, based on how long the cruise is. So, if the flat screen tvs are the only changes from the Tahitian, can I assume no changes or upgrades to the spa or gym areas on the Ocean?

Platinum and elite members get a fair amount of free internet access, based on how long the cruise is. So, if the flat screen tvs are the only changes from the Tahitian, can I assume no changes or upgrades to the spa or gym areas on the Ocean?

Summary of drydock work from a Princess press release:

During the ship's recent drydock at the Keppel Shipyard in Singapore, the Ocean Princess name was placed on the bow and throughout the vessel. The ship also received new fuel-efficient silicone paint on its hull, and interior enhancements including new upholstery, carpet and flooring. The ship was renamed Ocean Princess to more accurately represent her global range of itineraries.

Sorry, I haven't been to the gym or spa and wasn't to them before the drydock.

Is Princess offering an excursion on this trip from Casablanca to Marakech? It is not listed in the shore excursion brochure for the October itinerary. Would be interested in what people are doing in Casablanca.

Nope, Princess is not offering an excursion to Marakesh. 11 of us from the roll call have a private tour to there. I haven't heard of anyone else doing it.

Nope, Princess is not offering an excursion to Marakesh. 11 of us from the roll call have a private tour to there. I haven't heard of anyone else doing it.

Do let us know what you thought of Marakesh. I have been to Morocco but not that area......Do have a drink of their Mint Tea a speciality there.Also they make beautiful soft leather slippers another speciality......:)

Don't suppose you have heard a reason why Princess cancelled Marrakech? Thrilled to hear you have booked it on your own. Please let us know how it goes, and if it went well send us info! I have had mixed feedback on whether to try to book our own tour or not.... Hope it goes well!

No more luggage tags as prizes on any ship in recent cruises. You must have won the entire supply.

Nope. I won them all! :D

Hi Paul.........now that I've finished my LIVE, I can follow yours. We've booked the Ocean for Oct. '11, so really interested in what you have to report.

I woke up this morning and went out on the balcony to a beautiful view of the Rock of Gibraltar as we sailed by on our way into the Mediterranean Sea. We spent today in Ceuta. It is a tiny peninsula in North Africa that used to be part of Spanish Morocco. When Morocco got its independence from France in 1955, most of Spanish Morocco joined it. However, Spain retained this little piece (about 11 square miles).

We decided to take it easy today after our long tour yesterday. So we walked into town this morning and wandered around. The cathedral is very nice. Many of the streets are pedestrian only. There were few places to shop for touristy things.

One note for people coming this way. Passenger wanting to change US$ into Euros have had difficulty finding a place to do it. Most places in Cape Verde, Tennerife, Madeira and Ceuta do NOT take US$, only Euros. We had some Euros from a previous trip and got more at an ATM in Tennerife.

Nope. I won them all! :D

Hi Paul.........now that I've finished my LIVE, I can follow yours. We've booked the Ocean for Oct. '11, so really interested in what you have to report.

Pia,

Welcome back. I missed the second part of your LIVE thread, I hope you had as good of a time as on the first leg.

Could you please tell us if the ship is cool or cold INDOORS in public venues or rather warm

We will be on in mid July

Last year on Star Princess in South America I was freezing!!!most evenings

Thanks

Sometimes AC in ships is REAL strong!!!!

Could you please tell us if the ship is cool or cold INDOORS in public venues or rather warm

We will be on in mid July

Last year on Star Princess in South America I was freezing!!!most evenings

Thanks

Sometimes AC in ships is REAL strong!!!!

It is cool to cold indoors, My wife always has a sweater with her.

Pia,

Welcome back. I missed the second part of your LIVE thread, I hope you had as good of a time as on the first leg.

You missed two and three? :eek: Yes, Paul, everything was great on all three legs. Real life becomes a problem after 40 days on a ship. ;)

Archived