Live from the Ocean Princess - West Africa May 7

paul929207

Today was another great day. We docked early this morning in Cadiz. Spain. It is on the southern coast on the Atlantic Ocean. We took our first ship’s tour today – Seville On Your Own. Princess provided a bus for the 90 minute trip to and from Seville. We had about 4 ½ hours in the city. We spent the day with two couples we are friends with. We first went to the Plaza Espana. It is the largest public square in Seville. We then walked up to the Royal Alcazar, a Moorish fortress built as a palace.

From there we went to the Cathedral of Seville, the third largest church in the world (behind St. Peter’s in Vatican City and St Paul’s in London). They were busy decorating the church and the surrounding area for the feast of Corpus Christi (Body of Christ) tomorrow. The bell tower for the cathedral was built in 1184 as the minaret for a mosque. The mosque was torn down to make way for the cathedral, while bells and a cross were added to the minaret. When we finished touring the cathedral, we saw a mob marching up the street. Apparently, they were protesting the recent announcement by the government that all salaries would be cut by 5% to help them thru a budget crisis.

After that excitement, we were all thirsty and hungry, so we found a little sidewalk café, where we had sangria and lunch. When we were all rested, we set off for the bullfighting ring. We were hoping to be able to go in a just take a couple of pictures, but they wanted us to pay for a tour. No one wanted pictures that much.

We walked thru the park along the canal that runs thru the city towards where we were to meet the bus. Since we were a little early, we found another sidewalk café and had a beer. Then we boarded the bus for the ride back to the ship. Happily, all 50 people on the bus were on time.

I loved Sevilla .If you get a chance Cordoba is wonderful too

Your trip sounds heavenly Enjoy every moment!!!!I spent many summers in Spain in the good old days when our dollar was SO much worth it and Spain was dirt cheap !!!!Loved it!!!!

Thanks so much for the information, Paul! Can you tell us more about the excursion - did you enjoy it?

Yes, it was very good. We did call it close getting back to the ship at about 6:10. All aboard time was 6pm.

Princess dropped the tour to Marrakesh because it was always late due to traffic.

Yes, it was very good. We did call it close getting back to the ship at about 6:10. All aboard time was 6pm.

Princess dropped the tour to Marrakesh because it was always late due to traffic.

For those on the next cruise (6/7 from Dover), the Trivia Tippers will be joining you. Sorry.

For those on the next cruise (6/7 from Dover), the Trivia Tippers will be joining you. Sorry.

YIKES, Paul! And my friends are all getting on there too. Donna, Tina, et al. At least I'm going to the Emerald. :D

Paul,

We have followed your "live from" thread since the beginning, and have enjoyed reading about your fascinating trip. We look forward to taking such a journey some day when we have the time. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about the ports, too.

David

Princess now gives slips of paper called Trivia Tokens to the winners of the Trivia games. They can be redeemed at the end of the cruise for valuable prizes (?). The exchange rate is:

1 token = 1 lanyard

2 tokens = a pen

3 tokens = a cap

4 tokens = a passport holder

5 tokens = a tote bag.

Not a bad exchange rate for trivia prizes. The key question is what are you going to do with all that crap? We came home from our last Princess cruise with a stack of baseball caps and "green" reusable shopping bags. Anyway, we work hard for that stuff.

Hope you have continued smooth sailing.

Princess now gives slips of paper called Trivia Tokens to the winners of the Trivia games. They can be redeemed at the end of the cruise for valuable prizes (?). The exchange rate is:

1 token = 1 lanyard

2 tokens = a pen

3 tokens = a cap

4 tokens = a passport holder

5 tokens = a tote bag.

Anybody want to buy a lanyard? :p

Anybody want to buy a lanyard? :p

I will give you $1 if you have a spare :) Or if you win another at Trivia in September.I will probably be sitting with the zero point bunch.I love going to trivia its a good laugh:D

Mine is gettting bit tatty.When I went to get a hole punched in my card in May at the desk the gal said 'Well we don't have any like this anymore';)

Not a bad exchange rate for trivia prizes. The key question is what are you going to do with all that crap? We came home from our last Princess cruise with a stack of baseball caps and "green" reusable shopping bags. Anyway, we work hard for that stuff.

Hope you have continued smooth sailing.

In addition to trivia, we also play duplicate bridge on sea days, so we gave the bridge director most of the junk to give as prizes.

Archived